Suzanne H.’s Posts

Suzanne H.
on 3/10/12 10:33 pm
Topic: RE: had a partial distal bypass
I have DS with RNY pouch.

I am not sure why you are telling me about malabsorption.  I never said I didn't absorb carbs.  I also do not get diarrhea.  I too will get constipated if I don't have any carbs therefore I prefer to slow weight loss by having some carbs then being in discomfort from being constipated & causing hemrhoids.  I also do not want to live my life with no carbs, not very realistic to me.  However I do recognize I need to limit them or I will be right back to where I started. 

I have not dumped since I had this revision. I also can eat things such as pasta & rice that I was unable to before.  However I am keeping them at a minimum because I actually took that as a plus that I was unable to eat them before.  So far no infections. Hopefully it will stay that way.  I am partially lactose intolerant.  I can only have very small amounts of milk or ice cream so I prefer not to even try.  I can eat cheese and yogurts that have a thick consistency.

I am definately not where I want to be.  I also recognize I could be doing better & need to step it up with excercise & be careful not to slip back into old eating habits.  However I am happy that I have hit the 50 lb mark.  Many people on here told me that wouldn't happen.  I am so glad they were wrong.  Will be estatic if I can double it.  However 1st goal is 25 more lbs.  Baby steps work best for me.
Suzanne H.
on 3/9/12 11:47 pm
Thanks & congrats to you too.
Suzanne H.
on 3/9/12 11:46 pm
I wanted a complete distal bypass but my doctor has decided not to do them any longer.  He says that added risk vs. the additional weight loss that may be lost is not worth it.  I am do have some lactose intolerance depending on the consistency.  I can eat cheese but not milk or ice cream.  This is not a big deal to me. 
I do not have a problem with the runs.  Just frequent bowel movements.  I have found if I cut out all carbs my stools are very hard and painful.  I do eat protein with every meal.  However as I could be doing better if I got off my lazy butt& did some excercising.  I also know I do need to try even harder with my diet.  I am so glad spring is here because I feel much more motivated.
I take many different vitamins every day.  I don't enjoy this but again, I knew this was what I needed going into this, just didn't realize how quick it would get old.  Heck if thats one of my worst complaints, I can definately live with it.
You asked why I needed a revision.  I had RNY.  I lost 100+ lbs, got pregnant which was my original reason for wanting to lose weight so I could have a safer pregnancy.  Anyway 2 beautiful children later, I gained some of my weight back, never got to my goal before pregnancy to begin with.  Started up many of my old bad habits again & then was unable to lose weight again even when trying.  Turns out they did find some thing wrong with the length of the tube (forget medical term) that went to my pouch so my pouch was virtually not being used which enabled me to get my insurance to agree to pay for a revision.
So here I am.  I am in therapy trying to figure out why I let myself get this way & why I don't stay on track.  I want to be here a long time for my babies & I don't want them to be fun of for having a fat mom.  I know I am my worst enemy.  I am so strong & controlled in every other aspect of my life.  However I have never been so with regards to my weight.  Not only to I hope to become a healthy weight but I hope to work through whatever allowed me to be that person to begin with.  People get mad when we hear fat people are lazy & just eat too much.  I am not going to lie, I am lazy with regards to excercising.  I do eat too much but I also believe there is more to it than that. I just hope I can figure it out soon.
Suzanne H.
on 3/9/12 11:28 pm
Nothing was done to my pouch from my previous RNY.  My common channel was made to 100.
Suzanne H.
on 3/9/12 5:08 am
I wanted to give my 6 month update.  I know many people were concerned that I was making a mistake.  I am not where I want to be but I feel I am doing well & will continue to lose.
I have lost 50 lbs so far in almost 6 months. I could have been doing better if I was stricter.  I still have plenty more to lose. I was 275, now 225.  My first goal is 200 lbs, then I will make another one.  I think I will be there by my birthday June 15th. The doctor says I should be able to lose as much as a complete distal revision but at a slower pace.  Most people on here don't agree with that & said I would be lucky to lose 30 lbs.  I've outdone that & hope to keep going further. 

My biggest complaint is having to have bowel movements all day long is not fun. The doctor did tell me that was a side effect but I guess you don't know what it is like until you experience it.

I don't weigh myself often because it discourages me.  I like getting on the scale every couple of months & then I am happy to see another 10 or 20 lbs gone.

I don't come on here much because the negativity gets me down.  I couldn't find too many positive stories about this type of a revision, so I wanted to let those of you who may be forced into this operation vs. the complete distal bypass like I was that I am losing so far just not as quickly as I would like.  But heck if I didn't have it, there is no way I would have lost a lb. & could have gained 50 instead of losing them.

I feel very motivated to step it up & start excercising & watching what I eat even more with spring right around the corner.  I WILL get to my first goal in the next couple of months!

Suzanne H.
on 10/30/06 2:28 am
Topic: RE: Fell right back into old habits! Ugh!
OK, it's time I fess up before this gets way out of hand.  I figure if I tell on myself, just maybe I'll stop??????     I had gastric bypass almost 7 months ago.  The good news is I have lost 75 lbs so far.  I would still like to lose another 100, so I have a ways to go. I just joined a gym 2 weeks ago & I really like it. Now the bad news, I am back to my old habits, overeating, grazing & eating way too many carbs.  I fear I have stretched my stomach way too far already.  I rarely feel sick.  I didn't set out to do this, I can just eat much more than I thought I would be able to.  I can now eat an entire bagel at one sitting.  If I had stuck to what I should be doing , I am sure I would have lost much more.  I am sabatoging myself.  I drink within minutes after I eat.  You name it, I am doing it wrong. Any suggestions on how I get myself back on the band wagon?  What if I have overly stretched my stomach?  Is there any way I can get it to shrink again.  To be honest, I don't even know what I should be eating or how much.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.  You can even lecture if you must.  I know I deserve it!
Suzanne H.
on 4/28/06 3:29 am
Topic: RE: Afraid of failing
Someone posted a statement on here about failing. That really hit home with me and I didn't even realize it until I saw the statement. I am actually afraid of failing with this surgery. I failed at every other weight loss attempt so I guess my self esteem figures if there is a possibility that the surgery didn't work, I'd be the one that would happen to. I know realistically that if I do what I am supposed to that it is impossible for the surgery not to work, but there is still that other voice that says otherwise. I am not looking for a pep talk. I didn't even realize that I was afraid of failing until I saw someone's statement about it. My good voice knows I won't fail. It's the evil one that needs a talking to. Everyone is right, your whole mind set needs to change. Time to get rid of the "fat" voices that kill your self esteem!
Suzanne H.
on 4/27/06 2:54 am
Topic: RE: weighing myself too much?
I am only 3 weeks out but already starting to get worried. I lost 27 lbs the first 2 weeks. I lost 2 more lbs from Thurs to Sun. Now I haven't lost anymore since Sunday. (Sun. to Thurs.) I realize I am getting on the scale alot but I was just so excited to see it coming off so fast. Now I am already getting nervous. I didn't expect the weight loss to slow down after 3 weeks. I know I am not over eating, so what's the deal? Am I too worried? I know my first 2 weeks were tremendous & I should be happy about them which I am, but like I said I didn't expect to come to a stand still already. Any advice?
Most Active