Roommate Wanted for 2016 OH National Conference

debbiskis
on 8/11/16 12:41 am

My name is Debbi and I'm from Los Angeles.  I have actually been a passive member of Obesity Help as I was originally Banded back in October 2002.  I recently had my Band removed due to esophageal issues and I'm scheduled to have the Sleeve on September 19, 2016.  I just found out about this National Conference being located here in So California and thought it would be a great reference to reconnect with the WLS Community and gather important information on this new journey I'm about to embark on, again.   While the conference is reasonably priced I thought I'd try to find a roommate to split the cost of the room for 2 nights.   I'm 53, married and have an 8 y/o son (who I refer to as my Bandster Baby as he was born on my 5 year Bandiversary!)  I'm very laid back, non-smoker, non-drinker and as I'll be less than 2 weeks post-op I'll be a non-eater too.  If you are interested please contact me.  I can Facetime you prior as an intro for both of us.  My only request is that the roommate be a woman.

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/11/16 4:30 am

Are you sure it is a good idea to be away from home 2 weeks post op? Are you sure you would be up to it? 

I had rather easy recovery but at 2 weeks post op I still had a hard time sitting for a long time. And I was really tired. Learning how to drink enough was still a challenge. 

Smells bothered me.  

What if you have even minor complications post op?  

Most people do fine 2 weeks after surgery...but some don't.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

debbiskis
on 8/11/16 11:27 am

This is actually round 2 of WLS for me so I know what to expect. I'm hoping that being back in a WLS community will be beneficial when it comes to eating. Nice thing is I'm staying at the hotel & my Husband is only about 45 minutes away. Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate the concern. It's been a long time since I've been in this community & forgotten how caring people are. We all want to be successful.

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/11/16 11:40 am

You're welcome.  I know it may be tempting to do it - go for it....I sure see that... but RNY is a major surgery.   A lot of people don't think so... 

Typically a second surgery can be much worse. there may be a scar tissue  Plus - RNY is not like a band...

I had a few abdominal surgeries since my RNY - and recovery from each one was different... I had some I was expecting the worse - that was like walk in the part - while others - it took me weeks to fully recover.

I do wish your recovery is with no problems...  now - I expect the best but I am prepared for the worst... (I am never prepared for the "new worst")

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

debbiskis
on 8/11/16 2:26 pm

Hi again, I'm not doing the RNY, I'm doing the sleeve.  I have quite a few friends who went from a Band to Sleeve conversion and were up and going within a week.  My Doc said I shouldn't be out for more than a week either which is why I made the decision to go.  And nothing can be worst than the recovery I'm going thru right now... I just had a total knee replacement 7 weeks ago.  I try to keep my spirits high and my options realistic but sometimes... I think the benefits of the conference will outweigh any pain I'm in.

BTW... are you going?

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/11/16 3:38 pm

Good luck then. I did not have knee replacement but I heard from friends it can be brutal... Good luck with that. 

I am not going to the conference. I am in SC...so there is a very long way away . plus I am over 8 years post op... 

I have been to one ... For me - one was enough. I did enjoy the experiance.. I found a roommate on OH and that was a very positive experiance. 

Hope you have fun... Good luck. 

Kim Gyurina, OH Staff
on 8/11/16 12:06 pm
DS on 09/27/23

Hi, Debbi!

I saw your post on our Facebook page as well, and wish you luck finding someone to share the cost of a room. I've seen several people post to share, so I'm sure you'll find someone!  

Since your surgery takes place just prior to the conference, please don't hesitate to ask any of our OH Staff on hand to help you out! Our conferences are filled with caring people who share the same journey in some way, so I'm sure there will be many offering a helping hand. 

Best healthy wishes to you, and see you next month!  

Kim Gyurina, Event Manager