I'm I normal to freak out or just not ready for this?

Loretta T.
on 8/7/14 3:49 pm - Covina, CA
VSG on 09/08/14

I am new to this site...ok as an official member I am new. I have been a guest/lurker for a few weeks now while I was researching and just making my mind up if this was the WL journey I wanted to take. I was diagnosed with a grade 2 spondylolisthesis (vertebras don't line up on top of each other) and need to lose weight or risk permanent nerve damage in my legs. 

I got the OK from my othro doctor and have contacted the Mexicali bariatric center I am most likely going with (self-pay). I have heard a lot of good things about them  I just received an email from the surgeons coordinator and gave me a date of Sept 8th. this is becoming very VERY really. Now I think I am in panic mode... I am doubting my readiness for this life altering decision and my ability to get prepared for surgery. And for lack of better words I freaking the "F" out right now.

I'm I normal to freak out or am I just not ready for this?

bertgamble2001
on 8/7/14 7:45 pm - Willits, CA

I do not know if it is normal or not, but I can tell you that I am experiencing similiar panic. 

I know that I am ready, but it is still scary to ask somone to cut out most of your stomach.

shoutjoy
on 8/7/14 8:38 pm - Culpeper, VA

Hi,

What procedure are you going to have that cuts out your stomach?

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

bertgamble2001
on 8/7/14 10:41 pm - Willits, CA

The Verticle Sleeve Gastrectomy VSG procedure removes 85% of your stomach and creates the sleeve.

What procedure are you having?

shoutjoy
on 8/7/14 11:18 pm - Culpeper, VA

Oh my.  I had the MGB (Mini Gastric Bypass).  Basically a small pouch is made from the stomach.  Then they bypass 6' of the small intestines and reattach.  This is a lay persons explanation :o).  So I still have all my parts and this surgery can be revised, and reversed. 

What you are having is very drastic but if you are comfortable with your decision, then go for it!

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 8/8/14 9:38 am

I don't think having a sleeve is any more drastic than having part of your intestines bypassed.

Your statement of "What you are having is very drastic but if you are comfortable with your decision, then go for it!" sounds very passive aggressive. A reversal is possible but difficult. By the time we reach the point of needing WLS, we need a strong tool in our arsenal. It's time to go DefCon 5 instead of pansying around, so I guess that we all in a way took a 'drastic' step.

OP: I think nerves are common. Good Luck and come back and tell us how it went.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

QoftheU
on 8/10/14 2:37 pm, edited 8/10/14 2:37 pm - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13

"DefCon 5" (stealing that!)

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

jessica1371
on 8/8/14 12:51 am - Elgin, IL
VSG on 08/29/14

I too am having the sleeve.... It is becoming the "popular" surgery... ;)  No need to reroute any intestines!! :) My surgeon said it's a surgery with less complications then the bypass. 

Good luck.. I'm waiting for my date ... so we will be close on our journey!! I am extremely nervous and excited!!!

STATS: 5'7" HW: 424 (Jan 2014)   SW: 391 (Aug 2014)  CW: 323 (Jan 2015)

MsBatt
on 8/10/14 3:47 am

Jessica, before you have surgery I strongly urge you to research a procedure called the Duodenal Switch. It has the same stomach as the Sleeve, plus an intestinal bypass similar to, but more effective than, that of the RNY/gastric bypass. The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats for patients of any size, but this is especially true for those of us with a BMI greater than 50. Those of us who manage to get a BMI that high most likely have some metabolic problems, and the DS is the only form of WLS that makes a dramatic, permanent change in how our bodies metabolize food.

Yes, the DS also causes long-term malabsorption of certain vitamins and minerals, just like the RNY does. With any form of WLS, you're going to need to take vitamins and supplements and get regular blood work done for the rest of your life, so be certain you're getting the best tool for the job you want to do.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 8/8/14 9:33 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13
On August 8, 2014 at 3:38 AM Pacific Time, shoutjoy wrote:

Hi,

What procedure are you going to have that cuts out your stomach?

I think it's strange that you promote yourself as some sort of a bariatric life coach, yet have no idea that the VSG removes part of your stomach.  It's not a new surgery.  There's even a forum on OH dedicated to it.

Odd.  Very odd.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active