NO Weight Loss yet 15 days post op ds ???????? help me understand please

roxi's mom
on 8/7/11 12:41 pm - TN
Hi I am 15 days post op and have only lost 1 pound. I never see on here where there is a weight loss struggle or plautea right after surgery and wondered if someone who has been through this also could tell me about their weight loss so I can understand better. I had the DS and have followed the diet to the letter and feel like I would have lost a lot on my own eating like this even without the surgery. Please help me understand this better if you know or had this experience. It gets so frustrating when you see everyone around you dropping big numbers and with all I've been through so far I see nothing. Thank you
Melissa
msridman
on 8/7/11 1:02 pm - GA
I had the RNY on the 21st and although I have lost some weight I understand your frustration.  Remember as you heal there is swelling and water retention.  I would imagine it has a lot to do with how much you have to lose as well.  There are a lot more experienced people on here that I am sure will offer you some excellent advice.  Hang in there!

roxi's mom
on 8/7/11 1:11 pm - TN
Thank u good luck to u
Elizabeth N.
on 8/7/11 1:30 pm - Burlington County, NJ
You are recovering from a HUGE surgery. You are swollen. You were drugged to the gills and filled with fluids. MANY people hold on to the fluids for a while right out of surgery.

This is NOT time to be thinking about losing weight. It is time to be HEALING FROM SURGERY. It's a totally different focus, and you need to shift your attitude to come into that proper focus.

Pretty soon you will see a significant drop in scale numbers. It might happen over a week or two or it might happen overnight. Guess what? It's WATER. You will then slow down again, because your body is retaining some water in order to rebuild certain emergency energy stores.

This is why you must NOT rely on the scale as an indicator of real progress.

Now, stay off the scale for a month. By then you will have lost some fat, which is what you need to lose. Water weight can fluctuate by multiple pounds in the course of just a day. Once a month is a lot more realistic. Get rid of your scale and weigh at the doctor's office or gym.

roxi's mom
on 8/7/11 1:34 pm - TN
I really wish I could stay off the scale but I am desperate need of a few pounds at least. I will try tho thanks
Elizabeth N.
on 8/8/11 2:17 am - Burlington County, NJ
Attitude is everything. You need to change what you're looking for at the moment. The only thing you should be looking for right now is HEALING. In 6-8 weeks you will be pretty much all healed up from surgery and on the road to actual life with the DS.

Speaking of which, I highly recommend you come hang out on the DS board. With the surgeon you had, you're going to need help with postop living, supplements, eating rules etc.

Medley411
on 8/7/11 1:52 pm

It takes a while to heal.  Seems like forever, it is just your mind thinking your the only one that this wont work for.  Trust me, with DS, you will be melting weight off like it is butter.  Keep doing as you have been directed, dont get stressed. I will happen very soon.

roxi's mom
on 8/7/11 2:05 pm - TN
Patience is my main weakness that's why diets never worked well for me I guess. I'm ready for the melting to begin lol. Thanku so much
(deactivated member)
on 8/7/11 2:10 pm - Califreakinfornia , CA
I see Almanza did your surgery .....
roxi's mom
on 8/7/11 2:16 pm - TN
Yes he did. Why do u mention. Please tell
Most Active