Can't Decide Between a Band and Gastric Bypass?

NoMore B.
on 7/4/11 10:59 pm
If you are pre-op and cant decide between and band or the bypass, you dont have to.

Are you aware there are 4 different types of weight loss surgergy?
-Band (LapBand or Realize Band)
-RNY (Gastric Bypass)
-Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (VSG or Sleeve)
-Duodenal Switch (DS)

Not all surgeons offer all four procedures, so you owe it to yourself to research - and
choose your surgery first, then your surgeon.

The link below is to a video of a presentation at the ASMBS (American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery) talking about revisions.  It explains the reasons why there are a number of failures with the LapBand and Gastric Bypass.

http://vimeo.com/25570146

If you are pre-op, please consider all your options before chosing your surgery.  I expect the people who have been successful with the band or bypass will chime in here and give their antecdotal experience.  While maybe interesting to some, it wont be based on statistics.  The surgery that has the best statistical data for weight loss and long term weight maintenance is the Duodenal Switch. 

For more information on the Duodenal Switch please visit www.dsfacts.com, and come talk to us on the DS forum here on OH.

If you're wondering why I'm positng this, it's directed at pre-ops researching surgical choices - and please see my profile for "Why DS'ers Push DS Awareness"
Lifebeauty
on 7/4/11 11:37 pm
It also helps to decide what you will and will not do to lose weight.  All surgeries are not created equal.  Get the tool you will use and feel you can handle best.
Z

With  I will succeed.
HW: 280 - LW: 190 - GW - 180  
Unfilled 8/15/11 - WT:  209
1st Fill 11/29/11 - WT: 215.5 - 3cc
2/20/12 - New Goal - Get n Onederland
2nd Fill 4/26/12 - WT: 224.0 - 3cc
Z

Janine P.
on 7/5/11 12:53 am - Long Island, NY

Janine   Me on Youtube 

beemerbeeper
on 7/5/11 5:44 am - AL
Here are some links I think are very informative:

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4391498/RNY-insulin-carbs-we ight-regain-Articles/#36305662

www.lenoxhillhospital.org/press_releases.aspx

www.dssurgery.com/procedures/compare-surgical-procedures.php

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4416755/Must-Read-Transcript-o f-Dr-Roslins-Presentation-to-ASMBS-on/

Please visit all the surgery type forums.  Please visit the revision forum and the failed surgery forum.  Please make sure you get a consult with a surgeon *****ALLY does do all the surgeries.  If a surgeon can't DO a surgery type he isn't going to RECOMMEND that surgery type.

Take your time.  Do your research.  Be your own advocate.

It isn't too late to change your mind about your surgery type until after you are asleep on the surgical table.

And if your insurance will pay for one type of surgery you are VERY likely to be able to get them to provide the type of surgery YOU need with an appeal.  VERY likely.

~Becky

Most Active