new DS Patient----HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!

(deactivated member)
on 6/8/11 11:00 am - waco, TX
hello everyone..i so need some encouraging words..I have had my 3rd weight loss surgery on june 1.. i have previous had the gastric bypass (0 pounds lost) and the lapband(lost 160 pounds until my band slipped)...
i didnt see my dr before during or after surgery..they said he was too busy...my discharge instructions were less than great and i feel awful....i go back to see him friday but im afraid i will be to angry to actually listen to what he had to say...he didnt mind seeing me when i handed him 23800.00 in cash but now i dont get return calls from the office..he is very well respected in the dallas  area and i am just flabbergasted...i feel like im dehydrated and starving to death..i have been taking my vitamins and drinking water and thats about it....
ANYONE WITH ANY ADVICE OR EXPERIENCE WITH DUODENAL SWITCH PLEASE LEND ME AN EAR....I need some help with what i should be consuming.. I have lost 12 pounds already and feel awful.....
please and thanks
tiffaney
Ladytazz
on 6/8/11 11:04 am
You need to check out the DS forum here and get some help.  If you haven't been given any post op eating instructions I am sure the vitamin requirements you were given are probably lacking, too.  Please get some help from people who know.  They will put you on the right track.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

(deactivated member)
on 6/8/11 11:39 am - Woodbridge, VA
I only saw my surgeon for about 5 minutes the whole time I was in the hospital; the other times, I saw whatever doc happened to be in that day. However, you should have been provided some post-op instructions long before you actually went in for your surgery.

Feeling crappy very early out is normal - your body has been through a LOT (especially if this is your THIRD surgery). I only had one WLS, but it was enough to have me tired enough to be napping multiple times throughout the day for at least my first week home and then still at least 1 good nap during the day during me second week.

Hydration needs to be your #1 priority right now. I got dehydrated in my first month out, and it just makes everything so much worse - dehydration can cause food and drink aversion, nausea, racing heart, even more fatigue...so keep drinking! I couldn't tolerate plain water at first, so I went with lots of sugar free drink mixes (Crystal Light, sugar free Kool Aid, sugar free Hawaiian Punch, etc.). Drink mixes are also good because some things may be overwhelmingly sweet or strong early out, so you can add more water or less powder to make it as strong or weak as you like. You can also have a few sugar free popsicles throughout the day to feel more like you're "eating" something instead of just drinking all day.

What is your food progression plan? Some folks are on liquids for the first couple weeks post-op while some can start solids as tolerated right away. If your surgeon's office says liquids first, stick to that. Protein shakes, chicken broth, milk (if tolerated)...if you can have "mushies," you can try things like soft scrambled eggs with cheese, finely mashed/processed egg salad, Greek yogurt, refried beans with melted cheese and sour cream, creamy soups, sugar free pudding, etc.
(deactivated member)
on 6/8/11 3:54 pm - San Jose, CA

Get yourself over to the DS forum.

But in the meantime, WHO is your surgeon??  I don't know anyone in TX I would have do an RNY to DS revision on me.  Are you SURE you got a DS?  And got NO post-op instructions??

(deactivated member)
on 6/9/11 8:40 am - waco, TX
my dr was wade barker.... i just read he got reprimanded by the texas state board...i did have a duodenal switch but he didnt make my sleeve long and narrow....i havent seen or heard from him and my apppt is tomorrow so im getting answers and most likely a lawyer.... thank you for all the encouragement and help
MsBatt
on 6/9/11 8:48 am
"...but he didn't ake my sleeve long and narrow..."

I suggest you demand a copy of your surgical notes. Please tell me you've kept every scrap of paperwork you've gotten from his office, so you can SUE HIM---'cause I'm betting you don't have a Sleeve/DS AT ALL---I bet you've got an ERNY.
margiebob44yahoo.c
om

on 6/9/11 9:22 am
MsBatt
on 6/9/11 11:58 am
Am I correct in assuming that I am the "quake" in question, since I advised her to sue?

Just so happens I DO have the information that Dr. Barker is in some deep do-do with the medical board. And I certainly DO recommend suing, if she has anything in writing stating that he would be doing a real, honest-to-god DS on her and DIDN'T.

Dr. Barker doesn't appear to be competent to revise an RNY into a true DS, and has had less than steller results in doing 'virgin' DSes. But you just go right on thinking he's God if you choose.
margiebob44yahoo.c
om

on 6/10/11 4:59 am
MsBatt
on 6/10/11 6:50 am
On June 10, 2011 at 11:59 AM Pacific Time, margiebob44yahoo.com wrote:
Where did you get this information and do you understand what it entails?
Google, and yes.

You can find it, too, if you try.
Most Active