Vitamin D to help ward off H1N1?

Andrea U.
on 11/12/09 12:27 pm - Wilson, NC
Possibly.  (If the formatting doesn't come through, this link will take you to my blog where the formatting will work....)

When you talk about Vitamin D, there are a number of things you can say about it.

Protects your bones from osteoarthritis and osteoporosis?   Duh?
Helps fight against 17 different forms of cancer?  Yup!
Wards against auto-immune disease, stroke, diabetes, depression, and hypertension?  Sure!
Keeps you from getting Piggy Flu?  Yes.. wait.. what?

The experts over at the Vitamin D Council — those guys that actually know what the heck they are talking about when it comes to this stuff — have gotten two emails concerning the efficacy of Vitamin D protecting against H1N1:

Dr. Cannell: Your recent newsletters and video about Swine flu (H1N1) prompted me to convey our recent experience with an H1N1 outbreak at Central Wisconsin Center (CWC). Unfortunately, the state epidemiologist was not interested in studying it further so I pass it on to you since I think it is noteworthy.

CWC is a long-term care facility for people with developmental disabilities, home for approx. 275 people with approx. 800 staff. Serum 25-OHD has been monitored in virtually all residents for several years and patients supplemented with vitamin D.

In June, 2009, at the time of the well-publicized Wisconsin spike in H1N1 cases, two residents developed influenza-like illness (ILI) and had positive tests for H1N1: one was a long-term resident; the other, a child, was transferred to us with what was later proven to be H1N1.

On the other hand, 60 staff members developed ILI or were documented to have H1N1: of 17 tested for ILI, eight were positive. An additional 43 staff members called in sick with ILI. (Approx. 11–12 staff developed ILI after working on the unit where the child was given care, several of whom had positive H1N1 tests.)

So, it is rather remarkable that only two residents of 275 developed ILI, one of which did not develop it here, while 103 of 800 staff members had ILI. It appears that the spread of H1N1 was not from staff-to-resident but from resident-to-staff (most obvious in the imported case) and between staff, implying that staff were susceptible and our residents protected. Sincerely, Norris Glick, MD Central Wisconsin Center Madison, WI

This is the first hard data that I am aware of concerning H1N1 and vitamin D. It appears vitamin D is incredibly protective against H1N1. Dr. Carlos Camargo at Mass General ran the numbers in an email to me. Even if one excludes 43 staff members who called in sick with influenza, 0.73% of residents were affected, as compared to 7.5% of staff. This 10-fold difference was statistically significant (P<0.001). That is, the chance that this was a chance occurrence is one less than one in a thousand.

Dr. Cannell: Thanks for your update about the hospital in Wisconsin. I have had similar anecdotal evidence from my medical practice here in Georgia. We are one of the 5 states with widespread H1N1 outbreaks.

I share an office with another family physician. I aggressively measure and replete vitamin D. He does not. He is seeing one to 10 cases per week of influenza-like illness.

In my practice— I have had zero cases. My patients are universally on 2000–5000 IU to maintain serum levels 50–80 ng/ml. Ellie Campbell, DO Campbell Family Medicine 3925 Johns Creek Court Ste A Suwannee GA 30024

Critics say we should not recommend vitamin D to prevent influenza until it is proven to do so (It has not been).

The critics are thus saying, although they seem not to know it, you should be vitamin D deficient this winter until science proves being vitamin D sufficient is better than being Vitamin D deficient. Such advice is clearly unethical and has never ever been the standard of care.

This is not rocket science. If I am wrong, and Vitamin D does not prevent influenza, what is lost? A few dollars. If they are wrong, and it does prevent influenza, what is lost? So far, the CDC says 41 kids are dead from H1N1, and the flu season has not yet started.

I read this, called in DH from his gaming adventures, and gave him 5k of dry D3.  I agree with Dr. Cannell — if it’s just a coincidence, then he’s taking a pill that might make him a bit happier, lower his chances of stroke, cancer, hypertension, and diabetes (and given the amount of Mt. Dew he drinks, he needs all the help he can get in that department).  But hey, given how miraculous Vitamin D seems to be?  Yeah, he’s taking the damned little capsule anyway.

cabin111
on 11/12/09 2:04 pm
Who are The experts over at the Vitamin D Council?? 
They could be saving lives or the could be the slime of the earth if they are trying to profit off of people's fears... 
Andrea U.
on 11/12/09 8:49 pm - Wilson, NC
I think we're safe --

Listed below are some of the world's most prominent vitamin D scientists. Considered world-class experts, their extensive knowledge of, and dedication to, the science of vitamin D is evident in the invaluable contribution each has made to humanity's current understanding of vitamin D.

Research performed by each scientist can be viewed by following the corresponding links to Google Scholar and PubMed. Or, to view research grouped under specific health areas, visit our vitamin D research section.

Bess Dawson-Hughes MD

Former President, National Osteoporosis Foundation Professor of Medicine, Tufts University Senior Scientist and Director, Bone Metabolism Laboratory Jean Mayer USDA HNRCA at Tufts University

711 Washington Street Boston, MA 02111, USA Phone: 1.617.556.3064 Fax: 1.617.556.3305 E-mail: [email protected] Google Scholar: B Dawson-Hughes PubMed: Dawson-Hughes B

Cedric F. Garland DrPH FACE

Adjunct Professor, Department of Family and Preventive Medicine Cancer Prevention and Control Program, Moores Cancer Center University of California, San Diego

9500 Gilman Drive La Jolla, CA 92093, USA Phone: 1.858.534.0520 E-mail: [email protected] Google Scholar: CF Garland PubMed: Garland CF

Frank C. Garland PhD

Technical Director, Naval Health Research Center (NHRC), San Diego Director, NHRC Special Programs Office Member, United States Military Cancer Institute Professor, Department of Family and Preventive Medicine Cancer Prevention and Control Program, Moores Cancer Center University of California, San Diego

9500 Gilman Drive La Jolla, CA 92093, USA Phone: 1.858.534.0520 E-mail: [email protected] Google Scholar: FC Garland PubMed: Garland FC

Dr. Garland is a recipient of the Arnold-Rikli Prize for Advancement in the Field of Photobiology for his work in the area of vitamin D and cancer prevention.

Edward Giovannucci MD ScD

Professor, Department of Nutrition Professor, Department of Epidemiology Harvard School of Public Health

655 Huntington Avenue Building II Room 319 Boston, MA 02115, USA Phone: 1.617.432.4648 E-mail: [email protected] Google Scholar: E Giovannucci PubMed: Giovannucci E

William B. Grant PhD

Former Senior Research Scientist, Atmospheric Sciences SRI International Jet Propulsion Laboratory NASA Langley Research Center Elected Fellow, Optical Society of America Director, Sunlight, Nutrition, and Health Research Center

San Francisco, CA 94109-2510, USA E-mail: [email protected] Google Scholar: WB Grant PubMed: Grant WB

Robert P. Heaney MD FACP FACN

Member, American Dietetic Association Elected Fellow, American College of Nutrition Emeritus Board Member, National Osteoporosis Foundation Professor of Medicine, Department of Medicine Osteoporosis Research Center Creighton University Medical Center

601 N 30th Street, Suite 4820 Omaha, NE 68131, USA Phone: 1.402.280.4029 E-mail: [email protected] Google Scholar: RP Heaney PubMed: Heaney RP

Michael Holick PhD MD

Professor of Medicine, Physiology, and Biophysics Director, General Clinical Research Center Director, Vitamin D, Skin, and Bone Research Laboratory Director, Biologic Effects of Light Research Center Boston University Medical Center Boston University School of Medicine

715 Albany Street M-1013 Boston, MA 02118, USA Phone: 1.617.638.4545 Fax: 1.617.638.8882 E-mail: [email protected] Google Scholar: MF Holick PubMed: Holick MF

In 2006, Dr. Holick received the 18th Annual Award for Excellence in Clinical Research for his pioneering contributions in the basic science of vitamin D.

In 2007 he received the Linus Pauling Functional Medicine Award, given for research that is changing the thinking about a biomedical problem.

On 15 May 2009 Dr. Holick received the Linus Pauling Institute Prize for Health Research.

In October 2009 Dr. Holick received the 2009 NAMS/Upsher-Smith Laboratories, Inc. Vitamin D Research Award from the North American Menopause Society (NAMS) for research that has advanced the understanding of the role of vitamin D for peri- and postmenopausal women.

Bruce W. Hollis PhD

Professor, Pediatrics Professor, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Director, Pediatric Nutritional Sciences Medical University of South Carolina

171 Ashley Avenue Charleston, SC 29425, USA Phone: 1.843.792.6854 Fax: 1.843.792.8801 E-mail: [email protected] Google Scholar: BW Hollis PubMed: Hollis BW

Christel Lamberg-Allardt PhD

Department of Applied Chemistry and Microbiology University of Helsinki

PO Box 27, FIN-00014, Finland Phone: 358.9.1.915.8266 Fax: 358.9.1.915.8475 E-mail: [email protected] Google Scholar: C Lamberg-Allardt PubMed: Lamberg-Allardt C

Anthony W. Norman PhD

Emeritus, Presidential Chair, and Distinguished Professor Biochemistry and Biomedical Sciences Department of Biochemistry University of California Riverside

Room 5456 Boyce Hall Riverside, CA 92521, USA Phone: 1.909.787.4777 Fax: 1.909.787.4784 E-mail: [email protected] Web: http://www.biochemistry.ucr.edu/faculty/norman.html Google Scholar: AW Norman PubMed: Norman AW

Reinhold Vieth PhD

Professor Departments of Nutritional Sciences, Laboratory Medicine, and Pathobiology University of Toronto Director, Bone and Mineral Laboratory Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Mount Sinai Hospital

600 University Avenue Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 1X5 Phone: +1.416.586.5920 Fax: +1.416.586.8628 E-mail: [email protected] Google Scholar: R Vieth PubMed: Vieth R

cabin111
on 11/13/09 2:41 am
I think it is sooo cool these doctors donate their time and money for these efforts...Wait a second...they have paid sponsors...

The Vitamin D Council's next goal is to fund a nationwide advertisement campaign to raise Vitamin D Deficiency awareness. We would also like to sponsor a series of educational conferences aimed at the general public, physicians, and the press to alert them about the extent and consequences of Vitamin D Deficiency and the simple steps that can be taken to avoid it.

If you are interested in sponsoring the national ad campaign or an event, please email Dr. John Cannell, our Founder and Executive Director at [email protected].

If you are a citizen looking to donate, please use the PayPal donate button on the sidebar. Anything is appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsors

Valerie G.
on 11/12/09 8:46 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
Why on earth NOT try the easy stuff?  Beaurocratic BS burns my biscuits. 
I've got some lower doses at home.  I'm going to make my family take them.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

vitalady
on 11/13/09 12:47 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Did I send you the one on D3-5 for everyone for CARDIAC health?

If not, I'll repost several. You don't really want 5 yrs of Cannell, right?

He has the passion, the other names are big names in vit D, have been for years.

Another site to check is www.grassrootshealth.org

She also assembles data from many sources and they often quote each other.

Hah. And you wonder why I talk about vit D in my sleep.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Andrea U.
on 11/13/09 1:01 pm - Wilson, NC
I've got LPI pulled up as well, but with the headache, I'll read more on it tomorrow

RainyDayWoman
on 11/13/09 1:36 pm - Fridley, MN
I take 150K of dry D3 every day and I just had H1N1, so it definitely didn't stop me from getting it, but D has so many other benefits that I give it to my daughter and I'm trying to get my husband on it too.
Lilypie - (SzbI)
Andrea U.
on 11/13/09 10:13 pm - Wilson, NC
You take 150k, but what's your blood serum level?

The indications are that it's based on blood serum levels above 50..  I'm guessing that yours suck giving the malabsorption and the "near-lethal" levels you're taking (have you gotten that nugget yet?  I get it every time I take my vitamin sheet in with the 50k of vitamin D and the 2000mg of calcium.. I'd hate to see 150k of D on there..).

RainyDayWoman
on 11/14/09 12:19 pm - Fridley, MN
My level hovers just under 50, so that makes sense - it was slipping downward on 50K and 100K.  You take 50K daily?  Do you have a distal RNY or are you just lucky?  
Lilypie - (SzbI)