eating disorders in post ops

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 4/12/09 11:59 am, edited 4/12/09 10:53 pm
I'd like to suggest a forum for eating disorders.

what do we need to do to make that happen? I went to help and contact us and still didn't find anyone to suggest this to.

I can't be the only one with an eating disorder!

can you hook me up?

Jackie

edited to change the name to eating disorders

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

(deactivated member)
on 4/12/09 2:46 pm - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
I haven't been to it but in the Weight Loss Related forums, there is a Hunger and Food Troubles forum which sounds like it might be worth checking out.
Jim H.
on 4/12/09 3:08 pm - Chetek, WI
Did you try  this contact us URL?

www.obesityhelp.com/content/contactus.html
Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 4/12/09 9:08 pm

yes, I clicked on that but none of the options look like what I needed.

guess I'll try anyway, thanks.

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

size 8, life is great

M M
on 4/12/09 9:57 pm
I second, third and fourth the suggestion.

I have folks in my email box weekly with serious troubles - sometimes too scared to reach out for peers or to post at all because they think they are the only ones.  They feel they have no place in a message forum like 'this.'

We are about support here, I know, but when you are struggling with a post WLS eating disorder, it's a little different.  It's a little scary, and I am not so sure it's the kind of thing we like to shove upon newbies looking to get through the first steps of going through the surgery process.
Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 4/12/09 10:52 pm

I posted over on the "hunger and food troubles" forum but that doesn't seem right, either.

so, you are thinking a separate forum for post-ops with an ED as what is needed here?

I don't know what I am most afraid of, regain (yep, that's it!) or a life spent "dieting" where every day is a struggle and I feel bad if I didn't chart on thedailyplate or went over my carb limit or whatever.
I am not saying those things aren't useful but not as a permanent way of life. I think.

I know some things will go on forever - don't get me wrong - I just want to make a peace with my body.

I'm going to rename this thread and see if we get any more interest. this board goes too fast, grumble, grumble....

Jackie

size 8, life is great

M M
on 4/12/09 11:39 pm
Hunger and food doesn't really fit ED's, maybe a little but I guarantee if there were a message forum specifically for "ED's After WLS" it would be busy.

Hmmm...
Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 4/13/09 12:57 am

Bumpity bump.

just from what a couple of replies have been to a post I made on binge eating, some people might not even realize this can be an actual ED. bulimia without the purging, basically.

it's more than just, yep in the evening I tend to start snacking and eat too much.

feel free to jump in here, peeps.

size 8, life is great

Elizabeth K.
on 4/13/09 3:26 am - Spencer, SD
Hi there!  I was reading your suggestion and I agree that it would be a good idea to have a board for that topic.  Several years ago, I was an active bulimic.  I had struggled with that problem for 17 years.  I was hospitalized several times for it and my doctor at the time suggested I get a lap band.  Since then I have recovered and I did get a band placed last Wednesday and so far have not had any problems.  But the recurring theme running through my mind is "less is better".  So I find myself having to force myself to remember to eat.  I think it is easy to do one of two things:

1. Not eat at all.  I don't feel hungry yet, so it is easy for me to not even eat.

or

2. Eat and eat and eat - because we all know there are ways to cheat.  I know it isn't right, but people do it.  We think, "oh this won't hurt, I'll just run an extra mile" or "I'll eat half as much tomorrow" then the next thing you know it is a month later and the scale is going the wrong direction!!!

I have had a Lap Band before and it was successful up until it slipped and I had to have it removed.  I lost 100 pounds in 10 months. 

Aslo, I think we have all had such issues with food that it is difficult to look at food normally.  What is considered binge eating pre-op is probably not the equivalent to binge eating post-op.  When I would binge and purge, I could eat up to 20,000 calories at a time.  Now I can't imagine being able to eat more than 2000 calories in a day!  

Anyway, I think it would be good to have a forum where we could meet and vent.  If you build it, they will come!  I know I would be a part of it! 

Beth

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 4/13/09 4:09 am

Hi Beth,

it's a complicated subject and I'm no expert - also, I should get off the computer and drive to work - but my thought is that I know when I am binging and it doesn't matter what the amount is.

if I am not hungry but I start eating - because I feel I have to - and I feel I can't stop so I keep eating - it is a binge even if we are talking about a relatively small amount of food. even a tiny amount.

then there is eating when not hungry for other reasons: habit, mindlessly munching, social, cravings, trying to block out a bad feeling, stress.

anyway, there is lots to learn.

size 8, life is great

Most Active