HELP ME PLEASE!!

nikkib69
on 10/21/08 2:14 pm - swedesboro, NJ
Im a 19 months of having gastric bypass surgery & im a mess!!!!!    Ive started lossing my hair very badly again & ive gained probably 10lbs!!! Im freaking out!!!

I was wondering what was the daily calorie requirement at this stage??  And if anyone can offer me some words of advice to get me back onto track!! I refuse to gain anymore weight!!!

Thank you & good luck to everyone!!

Ps.. you can email me @ [email protected]
Terili
on 10/21/08 2:21 pm - Surprise, AZ
Whoa - slow down. You had gastric bypass 19 months ago? What kind?
Have you been eating healthy foods - and getting your water - and most importantly, your vitamins in?

Please provide some more information.

Teri
Marmotta
on 10/21/08 2:41 pm
Hello Darlin,
Slow down little one.  Time to make a followup apppt with your surgeon or GP, then go see the dietician.   Sometimes after significant losses people end up without the right balance of carbs and protein and calories.  You need to also see your GP just to be sure. Sometimes a large weight loss can change hormones which can result in hair losss, hair growth, unexpected fertility changes, weight gain/loss, and ummm errr significant emotional freaking out.  I am not a doctor but the rrange of normal is pretty wide. Tkae thyself for some reassuance and get your new plan for this phase..  Alll will be well. Be blessed. The Marmot
blueeyesblinkin
on 10/21/08 5:01 pm - BFE, NE

Sorry nikki, don't intend to jump on your post (I am only 6 mos out so I don't have any advice).  Marmotta:  omg, I can't believe someone else knows what a marmot is(only the most adorable cutest furriest creature in the world!)  You are cool in my book. 

Linda_S
on 10/21/08 3:50 pm - Eugene, OR
Nikki - when was the last time you had some blood work?  Sounds like you may have some vitamin deficiencies and perhaps are not getting in enough protein.  Have to lapsed into eating too many simple carbs.  Best go have a check up with the doc, get your labs run, and perhaps see the nutritionist.

Linda

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

blkcloud38
on 10/21/08 5:16 pm - Riverside, CA
Hi
    I have the opposite problem. I only weigh 100 pounds now. So I will tell you how I did it. I bought a treadmill and put it in my dining room . So every time I thought about food I got on the thing. and walkied. I hate exercise so thats the best I could do. I live on protein shakes,water and my treat is diet coke. You have to stop what you are doing and learn new behaviors. I went to fat class for a couple of years. We learned everything there. You can get back on track if you have faith in yourself. Sorry about the writing. I just came out of a coma.
I believe you will do it.
kk
Charlie
on 10/21/08 9:16 pm - Daytona Beach, FL
I live on protein shakes,water and my treat is diet coke. You have to stop what you are doing and learn new behavior.

This is scary.  If you live on protein shakes, and treat yourself with a diet coke, then maybe you need to rethink what 'new behaviors' are healthy.  If this is what you really do, you are headed down a slippery slope toward malnutrition, vitamin def and anorexia.

Nowhere on the this site will you find long term healthy gastric bypass patients living like this or advocating this behaviour to new post ops or anyone struggling.  I don't mean to be harsh, but I truly feel that offering this advice to anyone is not doing them any good.

I have the opposite problem. I only weigh 100 pounds now. So I will tell you how I did it

I don't think you feel this is a 'problem'.  I think you are proud of this and you want to tell others how you 'did it'

Please go talk to a nutritionist and find a healthy balance.   It's not all or nothing.  You can find a balance in eating that will keep you healthy down the road.

Hugs
Charlie

Debbiejean
on 10/21/08 10:19 pm - Shelbyville, MI
Well said Charlie, I was just going to write what you wrote.
Please don't listen to that woman advocating protein shakes, water and diet coke. She now has transfered her food addiction to another eating addiction called anorexia.

What you need to do is see a Nut., reach for protein first then fresh veggies/fruits. Exercise is a must but be responsible about exercising. Make new friends at a gym or find a workout buddy.
StarvingArtist
on 10/21/08 10:27 pm - In my Studio
On October 22, 2008 at 12:16 AM Pacific Time, blkcloud38 wrote:
Hi
    I have the opposite problem. I only weigh 100 pounds now. So I will tell you how I did it. I bought a treadmill and put it in my dining room . So every time I thought about food I got on the thing. and walkied. I hate exercise so thats the best I could do. I live on protein shakes,water and my treat is diet coke. You have to stop what you are doing and learn new behaviors. I went to fat class for a couple of years. We learned everything there. You can get back on track if you have faith in yourself. Sorry about the writing. I just came out of a coma.
I believe you will do it.
kk
She wasn't asking how to kill herself.
StarvingArtist
on 10/21/08 10:30 pm - In my Studio
Nikki...

Ok hun...here are some questions for you, so we can help.

1) What do you eat in a typical day? (can you post it here?)

2) Are you getting in your daily vitamins, calcium, iron and b12?

3) Are you exercising?

4) Have you seen your GP or the surgeon who did your RNY to get the proper bloodwork to check for any abnormalities?

5) Have you checked with your GP about any other cause of the hair loss? It may or may not be related to the RNY.

Get back to us with that info, so we can help, ok?