I need help with fiber ??? Or other remedies to move things along

cindymissouri
on 10/6/12 1:24 am
RNY on 01/06/15
I knows this is a yucky subject, I have been 100% on track and back to basics and gluten free for the last month and am Down 21 pounds. !! I am so excited to have lost so much. I had been stalled so long. So my problem of course. Lots of constipation. I am 5 years out now almost so I didn't know if I can do Metamucil now or what types of fiber I can take. I also read activia is very helpful and comes in a light version. Just wanted to see what all of you do and thank you !

Lost 34 lbs before surgery

desertmom
on 10/6/12 1:34 am - Dubai, XX
VSG on 03/13/12
I hope someone answers you as I have this same problem all the time.At the moment I am drinking SOLAR Calcium and magnesium citrate (I drink one tbs too many every day for this to have a laxativ effect) If I forget even on day I am in trouble again.

Grantus
on 10/6/12 1:41 am
My nutritionist also recommended ground fax seed
Italian-Princess
on 10/6/12 2:03 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12
Hi Cindy

I had the same problem about 1 month out -- I'm now just over 3 months out.   After several attempts with various products, this is what works for me:  I put 3/4 of a cap of Miralax in a cup of herbal tea each morning.  Since I've been doing this, "all systems go"  LOL

Hope this helps you.

Ree
cindymissouri
on 10/6/12 2:07 am
RNY on 01/06/15
Miralax no longer works for me. Barely ever did

PrettyEyes_41
on 10/6/12 2:14 am - MS
VSG on 06/12/12
I had quite the opposite issue the first couple of months. My dr. took me off all protein drinks and changed me to Carnation Instant Breakfast for 2 weeks and insisted I eat 1 light yogurt a day because of the active yeast cultures. I went back to my protein 2 weeks later and still today I eat 1 light yogurt a day and have no issues. I only have BM's about every 3-5 days but that has become 'normal' for me so I don't worry about it anymore. If I feel a little crampy than I take 1 Dulcolax stool softener only and it works fine for me.  

Gale     Age: 55, Height: 5' 5.5", HW: 236, SW: 210, 1st GW: 150.  Surgery BMI: 39.3  Extremely HBP, High Cholesterol & borderline diabetic.      

hmtaylor76
on 10/6/12 2:37 am
VSG on 06/25/12
I still occasionally suffer from constipation, I use MOM (milk of magnesia), it works within a couple hours and of course I always weigh after!! LOL.  I have not had to use it in about 6 weeks, I have been wrking out, drinking lots of water and I add a few blueberries to my greek yogurt after my workout.  Doing that I seem to be getting back to normal on my own.  Being active has made all the difference!!!

Heather    

happyteacher
on 10/6/12 4:11 am
 I can't tell how far out you are- so I will break it down by phase for what i did-

early weeks out- miralax and colace... up to about 2 months.  

2 months + added carbs back into the diet and began tracking fiber.  I set the goal at 25 g or more a day.  Started eating Fiber one cereal- 3/4-1 cup a day works perfectly and no medicine is needed.  My other go to option is Soy nutletttes (by Dixie carb counters- you can find it on netrition.com).  These are like grape nuts, but low calorie and high protein.  I sprinkle it on my yogurt.  This also works well.  In the beginning I would use fat free milk, but recently switched over to almond milk.  Less calories and more calcium.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

cindymissouri
on 10/6/12 4:33 am
RNY on 01/06/15
Thanks. Never heard of that one. I will be 5 years out in January! Just went back to basics for more loss. Working the sleeve.

Lee ~
on 10/6/12 4:42 am - CA
During the first two years I used benefiber and miralax but really wanted to get off chemical cure.

Currently, I use 1 tablespoon of organic chia seeds daily. I mix it into 1/2 cup of yogurt. Stir very well and let it sit in the fridge overnight. It becomes more lime a thick pudding. I also use 1 tbsp half and half with 1 tablespoon brown sugar cinnamon toriani, add water to fill half cup, stir very well. In the morning you have jell.

Here is what I know. Chia seeds Osborn immense amounts of fluids. If you eat them prior to soaking, you risk them sucking the moisture out of your system, thus causing bad constipation, by pre oaking, you allow them to absorb the moisture of whatever you oak them in, thus creating a digestive sweeper. Whala! Magic the next day. It could take a few days when you first start.

If you look in the cooler be edge section at whole foods, you will find drinks with chia gel. Unfortunately, they are heavily carb laden, so I make my own.

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011