How big is a VSG

Pbell
on 7/16/11 7:23 am
Hey all,

Just went to my 1 month post-op and they told me that my sleeve is about the size of my middle finger????  I knew it was small, but really???  OMG... what have you all heard? 

Susan M.
on 7/16/11 7:30 am
 That seems really small to me. I asked my doctor what size my stomach is now (that was at 2-month check up), and he was kind of hesitant to commit to a specific size. He did tell me that he put a thin tube into my stomach and stapled three overlapping rows next to the tube before cutting away the rest of the stomach and pulling out the tube. My stomach is the same length it was before surgery, just much thinner. I guess it could be about the diameter of my middle finger but I think it is a bit wider and longer.  After three months, I can eat about six ounces (or more depending on how empty my stomach is when I eat); I don't see that much food fitting into my middle finger.

rdd9348
on 7/16/11 7:32 am - OR

I've heard it's about the size of a magic marker.  Seems to be enough, though.

There's a picture somewhere that shows the sizes relative to some common objects.  I don't know where it is, but maybe someone who does will post the link.
Highest-285, Start WLS Program-267, Surgery-245, Current-196, Goal-148 
                                   Short Term Goal - Under 185 by 10/15/11           
Babs
on 7/16/11 7:33 am - Walker, MI
Good question, my daughter and hubby had it done and surgeon said it was about as long as his index finger, and that appears to be about 5-6 inches long, as far as how wide not sure but thinking probably 2-3 inches wide. They say holds 3-4 ounces. Ask your doc to tell you how long in inches and width that is. I do know that they both say that although they can not eat much they do feel full and satisfied and they are about 2 months post op and no longer have food cravings like they did before. I think that is fantastic and am hoping mine gets approved soon. I have a band and is not working for me. Good luck to you, I think it is the best decision my daughter and hubby have ever made.

Babs
Susan0714
on 7/16/11 8:54 am - Kenner, LA

Here is a picture of what the different Bougie sizes are..

LilySlim Fitness goals tickers

Jocelyn P.
on 7/16/11 9:34 am - San Antonio, TX
My doctor said it's about 3 thumb lengths and about as wide (diameter). That pen/marker picture above looks helpful.

5' tall  HW209/SW194/CW153.4/GW140
It's never too late to be who you might have been. ~George Eliot  

Mr Mom
on 7/16/11 9:56 am
On July 16, 2011 at 2:23 PM Pacific Time, Pbell wrote:
Hey all,

Just went to my 1 month post-op and they told me that my sleeve is about the size of my middle finger????  I knew it was small, but really???  OMG... what have you all heard? 
It really isn't comparable to any item that your going to find in your kitchen junk drawer because of the actual shape. If you really need to have something to help you to visualize your post-op stomach visualize something that looks more like.. "an anorexic banana" It's curved like a banana but it's narrow from top to bottom, only about as big around as your thumb. That's why they call it a sleeve and the the RNY stomachs are referred to as a pouch.

You want to hear something that will blow your mind? The RNY stomach is characterized as the size of a Large Chicken Egg. Many of the RNY patients that attend the monthly meeting at Bridges actually carry a plastic Easter Egg with them to remind themselves of the correct portion size when they sit down to eat!

My sleeve only holds 4 oz of dense food like chicken, fish, veggies, but I can drink about 8 oz of fluid until I have to stop and wait to drink more (like my morning shake/coffee that totals 16 oz takes 45 minutes to consume completely).
ROCK that VSG!.... Craig

Heaviest:406 | Surgical Weight:366 | Current Weight:290 | Goal Weight:250

cattywompos
on 7/16/11 11:51 am
WOW! Our sleeves are really tiny!  Amazes me that we can put any amount of food in it.  Considering I can now eat about 4-6oz in a sitting.
 HW-304 / SW- 286 / CW-198.25 / GW-170

nsblue
on 7/16/11 12:03 pm, edited 7/16/11 12:05 pm - Brookfield. NS, Canada

roundater
on 7/16/11 12:59 pm - Lincoln, NE
Bout the size of a hot dog without the bun for me.
Rich Sonderegger