Anyone that has been to Dr. Almanza!!

Rinarut
on 3/27/10 5:13 am
I was inquiring about how people's experience was with this surgeon for my friend.  With no disrespect to midwestern girl but I would like to know from more than one person.  I myself had my surgery here in the states and was fortunate enough to be able to afford it. So if anyone else have information, please respond.  Thank you!!!

(deactivated member)
on 3/27/10 5:53 am, edited 3/27/10 6:17 am
 Hi,

It's great that you're continuing your research with people who have actually had the experience with Almanza and his workplace. Please continue to look for these people.

Please use "almanza" as a search term in this search engine. You'll get what you need in a shorter period of time as you'll be able to discard assumptions from those who can't provide evidence to back up their statements.

Also, if you PM Hollykim, she'd likely give you a list of people who have posted their experiences.

Laurie D. and Mel. D (I think I have their screen names right -- if not I apologize) have also posted that they had infections -- please see thread "incision infection" (p. 27 right now?). Laurie D. stated hers were not due to the surgery/clinic while Mel D. believes they were.

Good luck with your research.

Edited to change name: Sorry, it's Laurie D. and Heather D. but still in the thread, "incision infection"
PeanutFreeMom
on 3/27/10 6:54 am - Canada
Hi Rinarut,

After I posted my personal experience and why I was no longer recommending that clinic, I received an email from a person familiar with his clinic.  I was told that his medical license actually belongs to a different doctor.  A doctor Cesar Lara.    Since I was given a copy of his medical license by the clinic, I was able to look it up in the Government of Mexico's professional licensing database, which is available online.     Unfortunately, the person who contacted me was correct.  His medical license is a counterfeit.  Since this is the copy I have from the clinic, the only reasonable explanation is that he is not who he says he is.
Here is the copy of the license.  Copy and paste does not seem to work for me :)  If anyone can help with it, I'd appreciate it.  I just added the link to my photos:

Front:
www.obesityhelp.com/myoh/photos/613297/betancourts-license/F ront-of-License/#photo

Back:
www.obesityhelp.com/myoh/photos/612981/betancourts-license/B ack-of-License/#photo
    The government link is here: http://www.cedulaprofesional.sep.gob.mx:7057/cedula/CntConsu ltaVisitas   You simply type in the number 4742029  (Cedula basically means Decree or License in Spanish)   This is who the license is registered to:  

Nombre :

CESAR ARTURO

Apellido Paterno:

LARA

Apellido Materno:

MUÑOZ

Carrera: LICENCIATURA COMO MÉDICO GENERAL 

La presente información es preliminar, por lo tanto, en caso de requerir un documento que certifique la información, será necesario realizar el trámite de "Antecedentes Profesionales" ante la Dirección General de Profesiones.

http://www.cedulaprofesional.sep.gob.mx:7057/cedula/CntConsu ltaCedula?cedula=4742029&tipo=C1   I have reported the fact that he is not a doctor and is using a counterfeit license to the Mexican authorities, although I am not sure what the outcome will be.  My spanish is not great.     I did contact Mr. Betancourt with the evidence and he threatened me. Here is some of what he wrote:   "Melany. You are definitely following the wrong lead. Looks like a copy and past job. As for my hospital. Your wrong again. As for me being a doctor. Your wrong again. It makes a lot of people upset because of our exito. As for your threat to report to the correct authority's. I do not take threats at all its a very weak tactic. we can continue to pursue you while you are in mexico. Or one of your reps. You know its not hard to find out where and when you might be here.there is a legal letter going out to you and your friend shirley also. Fyi."    I'm so sorry, this is hard for me, as I felt that "Dr." Betancourt gave me my life and my health back.  I certainly didn't have anything against him personally.  I actually had a very good experience there.  But I think the only ethical thing to do is let you all know what I now know.   Mel  
HW: 225  |  SW: 198  |  CW: 123 | Height: 5' 7.5"  I LOVE MY SLEEVE!!

13 lbs below goal :)
Rosebud2
on 3/27/10 7:33 am
Mel, I think this deserves a thread of its own, along with the thread you posted the other day.

(23 prior to surgery)   

I'm 5'8"
The old broad

PeanutFreeMom
on 3/27/10 7:48 am - Canada
Thanks Hon - I did post it as it's own thread :)
xo
HW: 225  |  SW: 198  |  CW: 123 | Height: 5' 7.5"  I LOVE MY SLEEVE!!

13 lbs below goal :)
wendyvanosdell
on 3/27/10 4:19 pm
Mel: I am scared to death. If all this is true about Dr, Almanza, then it needs to be posted at the top and stay there, however that is done; ( like the post about who influenced you the most).
I am wanting to know- are the instruments cleaned between patients?  I can hardly believe this. I am going to call my PCP and have bloodwork done to test for AIDS and hepatitis. This is so scary, I think I am still in shock. Even if they say the instruments are clean, how can I possibly believe that? from someone who is deceitful about his medical license?
Since my surgery, I have had several people ask about the place I went to, and I have recommended Dr. Almanza, but really more than that, I recommend the sleeve. Thankfully, no one has gone there that I know. I don't think I could take it if someone was hurt b/c they went where I recommended them to go.
I personally had a very positive experience there, but how do I know whether I have caught something terrible, even deadly? This is just too much. I don't even know what to say.
I think I am in shock, and it may take a day or so to process all this. This is so scary, please warn people Mel! With those factual posts, where a person can tell that you are telling the truth. I went Feb. 3rd, and more people are going every day. This is insane. I don't know how I missed your posts in January before I had my surgery. If I had read something from you, I would have believed it. I wouldn't have gone, and I wouldn't be sitting here right now hoping I don't have AIDS.
  Wendy  Vanosdell              
   Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

(deactivated member)
on 1/22/12 11:05 pm - VA
Can this information be reposted?  Has anyone else reverified the original information?
Mandyplus2 ..
on 3/27/10 7:22 am, edited 3/27/10 7:29 am - GA
I had a really good experience for the most part but I'm not sure I would go out of my way to recommend this clinic based on the disorganization and scheduling issues. Also, I was not impressed with the new Jerusalem clinic, but that's just me.

For the record, Betancourt did not practice any medicine on me whatsoever - all he did was socialize. Dr. Almanza was my surgeon and the person people went to with any questions or problems. I have healed up well and did not get an infection.

I would say if he/she has acces to the extra couple/few thousand dollars to choose a surgeon who operates in an actual hospital. 
maryposa
on 3/27/10 8:17 am - Orange County, CA
Uh, I would think that if a business partner in the clinic is lying about being a Dr. that would be reason enough not to go there, regardless of whether or not he is actually practicing medicine or doing business.  Serious serious ethical implications.  Who knows what else they lie about.
Follow my progress on youtube!
(Lost slowly and painfully from 355 to 275 from 2007-2009, then started gaining again before scheduling surgery!  Best thing I ever did! :D)

Heather D.
on 3/27/10 9:07 am - Austin, TX
I went to Dr. Almanza and while he did a good job with the actual surgery, the aftercare was pretty bad. I developed an infection while I was there and it took about 5 weeks to heal. I had to see a local surgeon several times and the wound had to be packed twice a day for most of that time. Also...

* My antibiotics, pain pills and some anti-nausea (I guess?) medicine was given to my husband by one of the drivers. Not really a huge deal, but I had some questions and I had to hunt down Betancourt to ask them.

* The kitchen in the recovery house: Filthy. Food was left out for days. The wife of one of the patients ended up cleaning the kitchen one night because she said she couldn't stand it anymore.

* There were no staff members in the recovery house at night while I was there.

* When it was time for my drain tube to come out, the person who was trying to remove it started to panic halfway through (I guess cause I was making too many pain noises?) and had my husband hold it in place so she could go get help. She came back with Cesar (Betancourt's boyfriend - I'd never actually met the guy) and he claimed to be a pediatrician. Whether he is or not, based on the info Mel & MWG posted about Betancourt, I don't know. Anyway, he had to finish pulling out the tube.

So anyway, these are a few of the highlights. Some people have much better experiences than I did. But my advice? Tell your friend to save her money and go somewhere with a better reputation.

Most Active
Recent Topics