Dr. Alvarez - how many went or are going to him?

JenJen33
on 4/13/08 9:13 am - Orlando, FL
VSG on 07/12/08 with
I wasn't really looking at the Mexico option since there are a few good surgeons in this area but the number of Dr. Alvarez patients vs. other doctors is enough to intrigue me.

Maybe it's jut me but the more research I do on this board, the more his name pops up. It almost looks like he does at least 50% of the people here, maybe more!

I've been on his website and filled out the information form...I figure the worst than can happen is I don't use him so no harm in learning more. I was pleasantly surprised that he is less than 1 mile across the border and has so much experience with VSG. Plus he seems incredibly well trained.

So if you have gone to him or are going to have him do your surgery, please respond to this post with your top few reasons why.

Thanks,
Jen
Becky G.
on 4/13/08 9:39 am
VSG on 06/26/08 with
I am planning on going to Dr. Alvarez either in June or late August of this summer.  There are so many good things I can say so far.  His coordinator, Susan, is incredibly helpful, encouraging, and prompt in her responses.  Dr. A is very experienced and well-trained.  I love the fact that he adheres to a gentleness philosophy.  That means he is very gentle with our bodies during the surgery.  I have heard anecdotal evidence from this forum that his gentle touch really does make for a faster and easier recovery.  That is probably my favorite thing about him;  his gentle touch and his respect for each of us as individuals.
Becky

StephRN
on 4/13/08 9:45 am - Quitman, MS
VSG on 03/10/08 with
He is the 2nd most experienced surgeon in North America and the most affordable for self pay patients.
Steph             Day of surgery - 215               

fluffy_one
on 4/13/08 10:22 am - Centreville, VA
VSG on 06/03/08 with
I plan on the VSG with Dr A ... everything I read about him is wonderful!  Seems like a good choice for me ...!
shscharger
on 4/13/08 10:23 am - MS
VSG on 12/10/07 with
When I was trying to decide , the only negative thing I could find was that the" hospital is old" but usually was followed by " but it sure was clean" .( which by the way are both true )   That and all the remarks about how gentle he was which is believed to make for a faster and smoother recovery.  But as Steph  has already mentioned "    2nd most experienced surgeon in North America  ."   spoke loud and clear to me.  I was a self pay  but  was not looking for the cheapest (  not quite  like buying a used car  )   deal around  because less face it I was talking about my body, health and life  !!   However the price was an added bonus ! The part that upset me with most of the doctors in the US was  all the other things the the doctors offices wanted me to do .  Did  I really need a "shrink " to tell me at the age  of 41 and a BMI of 60 that I may or may not  have the right mindset for WLS surgery .   There are several other little things I could add but I'm sure others will help me out.  If you would like to know more or have any other questions feel free to ask me , PM me or I would me glad to call you since I'm not the best typist . Good luck Tony PS    I like to add that I went to the reunion last month at only a little over three months out just to thank him and his staff in person for all they have done to help me.
sherrigirl98
on 4/13/08 10:31 am - Charleston, IL
VSG on 08/28/07 with
Me me me! lol I went to Dr. Alvarez and lots of others here have too...and we all just love him. The experience was one I will never forget. They far exceeded my expectations and more! Hospital was old but extremely clean and sanitary plus they have done a lot of remodeling there on the rooms they use for us bariatric patients. I chose him first because of price...then I was just stunned to find out how many other people had used him and how great his reviews were...the more I asked about him..the more great things I found out. He is truly the best doctor for the job as far as I am concerned plus he truly cares about what he is doing and he truly cares about his patients...He has a lot of passion in what he does for us. I would go to him again over and over if I needed to. You are going to get a lot of Dr. Alvarez fans here answering this :-) Good luck in your search...and if you choose Dr. Alvarez..you are going to be in the best of hands!! Sherri

WooHootiHoo! I have made it to 109!!!! A total of 190lbs lost!

JenJen33
on 4/13/08 10:57 am - Orlando, FL
VSG on 07/12/08 with
WOW - I filled out their info form a few hours ago and Susan already emailed me...first I got the auto-email reply but then I got another email from Susan about the info I gave  - on a Sunday evening - that's amazing to me!
shscharger
on 4/13/08 11:03 am - MS
VSG on 12/10/07 with
Jen If you chose to use Dr A , when it is all over with you will know first hand  that is just the kind of "standards"  his whole group sets for themselves.  They are a truly  one of a kind bunch. Keep researching Tony 
cme
on 4/13/08 11:47 am - Lyman, ME
VSG on 10/18/07 with
Jen, Dr A is an amazing surgeon, he truely cares about his patients and their well being. He has a warm, compassionate personality, and a very gentle touch. I have never had care as good here in the US as I did in Mexico.  I had almost no pain, I had a great time talking with the Dr, my husband felt very well informed the whole time he was there. The hospital was older, but it was very clean, and the OR was very modern.  Dr A, takes care in who he works with, they really are a very professional team who are in the business for the right reasons. Helping people lead healthier, happier lives. I hope this helps, feel free to contact me anytime. Bethany

VSG 10/18/07 HW 231 GW 150 CW 147
Been maitianing same weight since March 23 , 2008
Plastics w/ Dr Sauceda Jan 02, 2012 Tummy tuck, Breast lift w/ implants.

(deactivated member)
on 4/13/08 12:22 pm - AZ
I'm not going to Alvarez but I'm going back to Aceves for my revision.  I really like him, he's been very good to me throughout my entire banding.  I need someone with a little more experience in revisions, thus, Aceves.
Most Active
Recent Topics