Taking my trusty band out...

Lizard1004
on 7/18/19 9:57 am

Hi

I was banded in 2008 over ten years ago. I have lost 75 LBS but still need to lose more to get to my goal weight. Have no health issues except I've been in the gym a lot recently and notice some swelling by my port probably due to weakness in that area. Im working out 5 days a week and feel better then I've felt in years trying Keto/IF and its ok so far. I just made a appt with my surgeons office for a upper GI just to check to make sure everything is okay. Otherwize I feel great! Elizabeth

dlecia05
on 8/1/19 9:31 am - Sylacauga, AL

Well this may be a possibility for me. Banded since 2007. Doctor doesn't no longer practice. Have crazy acid reflux and can't sleep at night with coughing or watering mouth or belching like i've swallowed lava. I can drink water and have reflux. Primary doc referred me to a gastroenterologist. Had recent barium swallow and endoscopy. Band has slipped a little bit. Going to get all saline pulled out of band next week to see it will help. Gastroenterologist said that if it doesn't help then he suggests next step would be removal. I don't know what to think because i was a self-pay patient when i got the band because my insurance through my job wouldn't cover it and i'm still with the same job and insurance company. Just a wait and see thing for me.

Pre-admission testing: 261
First goal: 185
Second goal: 180
Third goal:  178

Kkulick
on 11/18/19 9:32 am

I suffered a year with reflux. My band was deflated and ugh, weight crept back on. Converting the the sleeve was the best thing I did, but my weight will still creep up if I don'****ch what I eat. Reflex is better with meds ( not gone)

marybelleturner
on 8/31/19 5:38 pm - Dallas, TX

First of all, I encourage you to do what's right for you, regardless of others' experience. You might be just as successful without the band as you were with it.

Having said that, here's my band story:

I was handed in March 2005 at around 330 lbs. I lost 160 lbs in just over a year and a half, had a tummy tuck and arm lift and life was good.

Fast forward to 2016 and I started slowly gaining weight even though I still felt restriction. By late 2018 I had gained 40 lbs and had zero restriction and I was in full on panic mode that I was doomed to return to being fat and miserable. My surgeon determined I had a leak in my band tubing and I had a repair in February 2019.

I've lost 10lbs so far, which is disappointing because it came off so fast last time. I'm now struggling to get to my "sweet spot" without causing a slip by overeating. I got so used to over indulging while I had no fluid, and while the band did help me lose all that weight it did nothing for me mentally, meaning that I still love food and will eat it if I can. I'm kicking myself for trying so heavily on it and not developing a healthier relationship with food while I could.

I'm still hopeful that I will get the weight off but if they said tomorrow that I had to remove my band I would sell my soul for a revision surgery.

KattattaK
on 10/1/19 9:27 pm

Similar story. I was banded in Nov 2005. Lost about 75 pounds. After a few years, turned out there was a slow leak in my band. No matter how much they filled it, restriction would soon disappear. Last few times they checked, my band was broken in a few different places. I've needed it removed for years but haven't had it done. Definitely in need of revision surgery. I'm 5'4 and currently weigh 200 pounds. I've worked my but off over the years to lose weight. I can't do this in my own but I'm afraid to have surgery. Crazy!!!

B. simmons
on 9/30/19 7:48 pm

Hello, My name is Georgina I just read you story. how are you doing post band removal?

dlecia05
on 12/4/19 6:44 am - Sylacauga, AL

sorry for the late reply Georgina. my current email isn't associated with this account.

I didn't get my band removed. All the saline was removed. Total of 2 ml. I got 1ml added back in after one month removal and still no restriction. Weight has crept back up by 27 lbs as of last visit which was last month. I have another appointment next week Dec. 11 to see if i can get more in and to have a weigh in. If i knew this would have happened i may have continued struggling with acid reflux.

I've gone up 2 sized from 12/14 to 16 and the majority of my clothes don't fit. I've been steady at 187 and 12/14 for a great number of years. I hope I can get back to that because i'm not happy with 214. Well i take that back. I'm happy with more plumpness in my boobs but the rest can disappear...lol

Felecia from Alabama.

Pre-admission testing: 261
First goal: 185
Second goal: 180
Third goal:  178

dlecia05
on 12/4/19 6:45 am - Sylacauga, AL
Most Active