jacq0122’s Posts

jacq0122
on 7/31/11 11:44 pm
Topic: RE: Dec 2010 DS but still nauseated and can't take protein
Hi Gina,
     TPN is total parenteral nutrition.  It is being feed through a PICC line (IV tube) inserted directly into a large vein/artery in the chest or upper arm.  The food is predigested and highly concentrated and is pumped directly into the vein via the IV tube).  It means being tied to an IV pump 24/7.  Infections are a very high risk and extremely likely sooner of later.
     G-tube or gastric feeding is being fed through a g-tube inserted directly into the tummy and what I am on is a j-tube (jujostomy tube) inserted directly in to the small intestine by passing the tummy altogether.
     My j-tube is a mess.  The Dr. used a foley cath instead of a real j-tube.  I leaks constantly and frequently goes on a flooding spree.  You never know when it is going to flood through all the bandages and leak all over your clothes, staining them.  
     I have a call into the Dr. as we speak for an appointment so he can see what's going on.
Thanks
Jacque  

jacq0122
on 7/31/11 11:32 pm
     Thanks for the response.  You are just the second person who has updated that they were suffering from a similar situation.  I was on TPN in May for about 3 weeks but ended up back in the hospital for 9 days fighting a raging infection.  My Dr. pulled the TPN and refused to put it back in.  He said infections with TPN are not a matter of if, they are a matter of when.  He said he was afraid of what might happen if I got another infection in my depleted state.
     My Dr's answer is simply "drink the protein shakes" and you will eventually get better.  When I didn't and ended up in the hospital again in June for over 2 weeks we decided that was when the j-tube was going to have to be used.  I have been on it for over a month now, bolusing pure protein (no tube feeding formulas though).  I have been taking around 100 mg of protein per day.  My nausea still persists.  Even when I bolus the protein, I feel sick for about 45 min to an hour after taking it.  Dizzy, weak, nauseous, my tummy sounds like it's going to explode, bubbling, gurggling, etc.
     But I am slowly getting a little better.  I am still weak as a kitten and can barely walk up stairs.  I lose my balance and stagger around like a drunk.  If it weren't so pathetic, it would be funny.
     Oh well, the fact you and the other person *****sponded with their experience eventually got better, it gives me hope to keep up the good fight.
Thanks so much
Jacque

jacq0122
on 7/31/11 11:12 pm

Fortunately, I am slowly moving toward cream soups, boullions, etc.  I have been able to do popsicles but since they have zero nutritional value, I don't count them for anything.  Jello has been a struggle to keep down and meat of any kind is not working.  I have even tried Gerber Graduates meat and my tummy rebels with a vengenance.  I was on TPN in May.  I was fed through the IV for about 3 weeks prior to developing a severe infection that resulted in hospitalization for 9 days.
     I am so glad to hear you managed to pull your self out.  At least now I have heard from someone else wh has had the same problem for more than a few days.  The fact you pulled out gives me hope I might not be in this situation permanently.
Thanks
Jacque

jacq0122
on 7/23/11 1:49 am
     Thanks for the info.  I haven't heard about this pump.  I will talk to the Dr. on my next visit and see if they think it might be an option for me.  If I am ever able to find a protein supplement I can actually take by mouth with out throwing it back up, I might eventually end up with out any thing sticking in my body.
I really appreciate your input though, it might turn out to be very helpful.
Thanks
Jacque

jacq0122
on 7/23/11 1:44 am
     I don't know why some items do ok and others result in immediate expulsion of the consumed food.  I can't eat meat at all.  I am just now getting to where I can eat some yogurt.  I have even tried Gerber Graduate baby food.  It is so yucky I would throw it up even if I was healthy.
     We have talked to the psychologist about a mental block with food and she ruled it out.  I want to eat desperately.  I get so hungry and my tummy just growls but then when I go ahead and try to eat, it is miserable.  I can't try eating in public because I am too embarrassed to end up throwing up in public.
     I would love to have more info on the fruit flavored protein if you have any.  I have tried Isopure and it was like drinking too sweet syrup with a horrible aftertaste.  The smell was almost too much.  Maybe there are some I haven't been able to get info on that you know about? 
Thanks
Jacque

jacq0122
on 7/23/11 1:37 am
     My BCBS of Alabama limited to me Dr. Barker (in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area) if I wanted them to pay for the surgery.  I am guessing they have a reduced pay scale with Dr. Barker's office. 
     At the time of my surgery, as far as I knew Dr. Barker was a highly rated WL surgeon.  I had no reason to think otherwise.  And since all the tests and consultants I have had probe and prod me while in the hospital have found no problem with the actual procedure that was done, I still really don't have any reason to doubt Dr. Barker's skills. 
     My concern is the follow up care.  Until my 3rd hospitalization they didn't seem to be taking my condition seriously.  Now they are very concerned but don't have an answer to the problem.  Dr. Thompson is a great guy and I like him a lot but I am just not getting any answers other than time will heal the problem.  
Jacque  

jacq0122
on 7/22/11 12:54 pm

Thanks so much to everyone who has replied and offered suggestions.  I am sorry to learn Dr. Barker has such a bad reputation.  I wish someone would have mentioned that during the 12 months I was waiting to get approved and on line talking about waiting for the surgery.
     I have been probed, lab tested, explored, EGD'd, consulted with gastrologists, etc. on each of my 3 hospitalizations.  So far nothing that can account for the problems can be pin pointed.  I take all the usual vitamin/mineral supplements (which I manage to keep down) along with Phenergan and a generic Nexium daily.  I also have 2 other nausea meds that I take PRN (1 up to 4 times a day).  
     I have tried the liquid egg whites.  They went down but didn't stay.  3 minutes after swallowing, I was throwing them back up.  I have not seen an egg powder but I don't see how that would be much different than the liquid?  I have tried Adkins shakes and they are vile tasting and cause vomiting.  I know somewhere out there there has got to be a protein that is possible to keep down?  I am just tired of wasting huge amounts of money on each new product someone suggests only to find it causes vomiting just like all the rest.
     I called Dr. Kim's office here in Ft. Worth to try and get a consultation with him but he is accepting new patients for surgery or revisions only.  No one wants to clean up after another Dr. has messed 
your life up.  There is a Dr. in Denton who does DS and I have left a couple of messages with his staff but no one has ever called me back.  I will keep trying to find a Dr. who does consults on problem issues.
     In the mean time, I will keep trying new protein products and blowing all my cash.  Since I am a single female on a one income tab it is killing me. 
     Since I have already met my out of pocket expense limit on my insurance for this year, I would love to get the problem solved before the end of the year and end up back on the hook in 2012 for my $4,000 out of pocket again.
   Keep all the great ideas and suggestions coming.
Thanks again,
Jacque

jacq0122
on 7/22/11 2:53 am
Hi everyone,
     I had my DS on Dec. 8, 2010.  I have had nausea and vomiting severly since surgery.  I have lost 125+ lbs but at what cost.  I can't eat much of anything (orange sherbert, cottage cheese) and what ever I try to eat ends up vomitted back up.
     I have been in the hospital 27 days between May and June for severe malnutrition.  I can't drink protein.  The smell gags me and as soon as I get it down, it comes right back up.  My surgeon finally put in a j-tube so I can get my protein that way.  Now I have a foley sticking out of my stomach, can't eat hardly anything and vomit a lot.  
     My Dr. tells me this is totally rare for the "morning sickness syndrome" to last more than a few months.  Has anyone else had this problem?  What did you do?
     What about inability to get protein supplements down?  I have tried thousands of dollars worth of various products to no avail.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  
     I have found Special K has a protein supplement I can get down but it only has 4 grams of protein per packet.  Very low.
     Any help and suggestions you can give me will be so greatly appreciated.  I just want to get my strength back, get rid of this J-tube and start feeling like a normal person again.
Thanks
Jacque  

jacq0122
on 1/16/11 5:31 am
Topic: RE: First Check-Up.....
     The Dr. ordered Zuplenz strips and Promethazine liquid for nausea.  I haven't used any of it because I thought it was only for post surgery vomiting.  The only time I have nausea now is when I try to eat something.  I hadn't thought about using it for keeping food down?
     I will try the fresh ginger slivers and the flat ginger ale too. 
     But I am hungry.  I haven't eaten more than 3-4 bites of food at a time for nearly a month and a half.  My tummy aches and growls a lot, especially in the evening.  It only takes a few bites to fill me up but then, blurp, it comes right back up.  Plus with out getting down the protein I know I need, I am getting panicky about not gettting my daily quota in.  I don't want to end up making myself really sick.  There just has to be someone else who had my issue with the protein and found a good solution.  Hopefully they will see this post and give me some feed back.
     You guys are so kind to listen to us and offer your experience and knowledge.  All the feed back is so helpful.  Things that never crossed our minds.  
Thanks so very much,
Jac   

jacq0122
on 1/16/11 5:19 am
     Thanks so much for the info.  My first follow up is Feb. 09.  But so far, gettting info out of Dr. Barker's staff is like pulling duck's teeth.  Impossible.
     I am going to try and find the Greek yogurt.  I have heard about it and since the Light and Lively yogurt isn't sitting on my tummy, the Greek yogurt might work.  I will also try the 1% milk with the powdered added.  (I loved milk prior to my surgery so maybe that love will come back.)  
     They gave me Zuplenz strips that melt in your mouth and Promethazine liquid for nausea.  I haven't really taken any of it because the only time I am nauseated is when I try to eat something.  Do you think taking it when I eat might help me keep what I do eat down?  I hadn't thought about that to be honest.  I just assumed it was for when I got home from the hospital and I was sick from the surgery.
     I just haven't had any luck with the protein supplements at all.  The only ones I can take are the Slim Fast which I liked before the surgery and can barely tolerate now.   Just the smell of the protein gags me.  
     Have you noticed that your sense of smell is more sensitive since the surgery?  Anything that smells like garlic just gags me nearly to death.  All smells are greatly enhanced since I had surgery.  Things no longer taste the same.  I don't understand the correlation but I am sure it makes sense somehow. 
     Again, thanks for the support.  It's nice to talk to someone about how they are doing compared to how I am doing. 
Jac

jacq0122
on 1/16/11 3:44 am
Hi Jamille,
     I am Jacque.  I had my DS / gastric sleeve one week before you did 12/08.  I was interested in the things you had written for many reasons. 
     I am nearly 6 weeks out and I can't keep hardly anything down.  Juice, tea, broth and water are the things I am able to get down and keep down.  Most everything else makes me feel sick to my stomach almost as soon as it hits bottom.  Sometime it comes back up in a few minutes. 
     I am eating slowly, chewing a lot and picking very soft items.  What is strange is the things I can sometimes eat with no problems are the things I shouldn't be with in 100 yards of.
     I have lost over 50 lbs since the surgery though so I am reaching my goal of weight loss but I just don't feel good about how it's happening.  I can't get the protein drinks down at all as they make me start gagging as soon as I smell them.  I am trying to eat the protein with scrambled eggs, cottage and string cheese but it's hard to eat when you know it's going to make you sick.  I am developing a serious food aversion.
     My question to you is how are you doing with your food ?   Are you having the same issue with nausea when ever you eat?  I guess I just want to know I am not alone and this reaction to the surgery is normal.  My Dr's office is terrible about giving you info.  They are so overbooked with pts. you are just a number and it seems like now that my surgery is paid for and over, I have been forgotten.  I definitely do not love my DR. or his staff.  But BCBS would only approve him in my area.  Why I have no idea?
    PS:  That same lady who was so rude to you was rude to me to last time I was on the site.  She acted like she was some kind of paid advisor for me.  I think she is just a little stressed out or something.  I hope she gets the message and rethinks the way she talks to folks.
Have a great day and thanks for any input you can give me about how your are doing!
Jac

jacq0122
on 12/20/10 3:17 am
Topic: RE: Unable to eat anything 11 days after surgery
 There were other Dr's in the operating room when my surgery was done.  I do know that at least one of the other DR's assisted.  I met him at the time of the surgery but I was not clear headed and I do not recall his name at this time. 
     As far as I know Dr. Barker did the major part of the surgery.  Prior to surgery, I was assured by him, his staff and BCBS that he was well qualified to perform the procedure.  He and a Dr. from Denton were the only 2 Dr's in the N. Texas area that BCBS would ok to do the surgery.  According to their Blue Standards in order for a Dr. to be qualified he has to have completed at least 150 successful DS operations. 
     Why do you ask?  Have you heard something that can be substantiated or just rumor? 
     I had very little contact with Dr. Barker as his staff handles most all patient contact.  From what I understand he does close to 30 surgeries a week.  I am assuming this keeps the man very busy. 
     My surgery didn't even get started until after 6:00PM and I had to arrive at the hospital at 10:00am.  We sat there all day waiting to start.
Merry Christmas
Jacque

jacq0122
on 12/20/10 3:01 am
I love hot and sour soup.  I am going to get some of that from our local Chinese place and try sipping the broth from that.  I have been able to drink a little of the broth off the egg drop soup too.  I guess I am trying all the wrong things because bananas mashed in milk is one of the few things I can keep down.  I am pretty much sticking to the water and tea right now cause they don't hurt and I don't gag like a maggot after I swallow them nor do I have tummy cramps later.
Thanks again to everyone for all the suggestions.  I am dropping the sherbert, milk and high fructose juices and going with the diabetic juice, water, tea and broths.  And I have not been able to hold down drinkable yogurt or jello of any kind so far.  I will give this change a day or two to adjust and let everyone know how it's going.   Thanks again.  All your experience and advice is priceless to a newby!
Merry Christmas to all!
Jacque

jacq0122
on 12/19/10 2:28 am
Thanks for the tips.  I guess I should have been more specific when I said eating, I meant from the liquid diet we were prescribed.  I have tried soups (broths, cream of mushroom and chicken, etc.).  I have been drinking Celestial Season's Black Cherry tea early in the morning and it does help.  I am guessing I am just frustrated being hungry.  I think the sherbert does have surgar but I am talking about getting 4 or 5 small bites down before I am done.  I am drinking 2 -17 oz bottles of H20, plus 17oz of decaf tea along with what juice (low sugar or no sugar added) and soup I manage to get down.  I am probably about 70 oz total a day in fluids.
Again, thanks so much for your voices of experience.  You knowledge is so very helpful!!
Jacque

jacq0122
on 12/19/10 1:47 am
Hi everybody.  I am discourgaged and need some help.  I am 11 days out from surgery (DS with gastric sleeve) and haven't been able to get anything but sherbert, juice and water down.  Anything elsehas caused nausea and extreme gas pains.  I promised not to gripe about this trip since I voluntarily did this to my self but I am so hungry and getting weak.  Any suggestions will be helpful.  Yes, I am on Nexium and taking Gas X tablets.

jacq0122
on 12/11/10 3:40 am
Topic: RE: Update on Linda - not good...need prayers and critters in the air
Hi, 
      I just wanted to comment on your signature statement.  The first person who says I took the easy way out is getting a black eye.  And in my case a bloody nose too. 
Jacque 

jacq0122
on 12/11/10 3:31 am
Topic: RE: Update on Linda - not good...need prayers and critters in the air
I am so dreadfully sorry to hear about Linda.  I don't know her but I am crying for her and her family.  How awful for them to have to bear this and right in the middle of the Christmas Season is even more dispicable.  I am a hopeful agnostic and despite my doubts, I have prayed hard for her.  Maybe God will hear and bless this family with a Christmas Miracle.  I live in Ft. Worth, TX and would not be able to visit in person but please hopefully her family can feel us praying for them full force!  My best wishes for her speedy and complete recovery!

jacq0122
on 10/30/10 3:45 pm
Topic: RE: Pending RNY surgery approved - want to change to DS
Hi Everybody,
     It took nearly a year but I finally received an approval from BCBS for the RNY.  I hadn't talked to Dr. Barker in nearly a year.  Since I had originally visited with him I had learned about DS.  Since my BMI is over 55 I would really prefer to go with the DS.  Has anybody had any experience with getting BCBS to change their approval from RNY to DS prior to the surgery?
     Since I had such a long, tiresome battle to get approved, I don't want to do anything to mess it?
Thanks
Jac

Recent Topics