Barker vs. Stewart

(deactivated member)
on 7/16/11 11:44 am, edited 7/16/11 11:45 am
DS on 02/01/12
Hi there everyone,
It's me again, in need of some advice - well, not necessarily advice, just information and education. Ok, so, as you can see from the little link under my signature, I'm currently a patient of Dr. Barker's, going through the pre-op phase to have duodenal switch surgery around January 2012. Thus far, I've only had my surgical consultation and first "diet group" meeting.

For the past month and a half, I have seriously been considering switching surgeons to Dr. Daryl Stewart. His office is 45 mins away from my home and Forest Park Hospital (where I'm told he performs the surgery) is less than 10 mins away from where I live. Pretty much everyone on these boards tells me that Stewart is a much better surgeon than Barker, as he has more experience in performing DS - and his bedside manner and follow-up are much better.

I have also heard several horror stories about Barker but just assumed that, yeah, there are unsatisfied people who spread their hatred online, but am now realizing that maybe, just maybe there is truth behind what people are saying. I read online a few months ago that Barker is going through a malpractice suit and nearly had his medical license ripped away. I also read some other things about how, when confronted by a patient, Barker told them that he would no longer be their physician.

So, based on what I've read and researched, you should all be happy to know that I requested an appointment from Dr. Stewart. I haven't heard anything back from his office yet, but I'm excited and at peace with my decision to more than likely switch surgeons. I realize that this is the rest of my life we're talking about. I need someone to do everything right and not mess up. My question is what is Barker's malpractice suit about? Is it the lap band thing? Any other things you can tell me about him are greatly appreciated, as I couldn't find any patients of his who have had a DS. Also, tell me about Dr. Stewart. From what I've read so far, he is a great physician who genuinely cares about his patients.

Do you think switching surgeons this early out will delay me on getting switched? And, do Dr. Stewart's staff fight your insurance company for you to have WLS?
beemerbeeper
on 7/16/11 11:52 am - AL
I'm just very glad you are switching to Dr Stewart.  Very very glad.

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 7/16/11 11:53 am
 Hi Erika, I found this on-line and you may find it interesting reading. Sanction history

http://www.healthgrades.com/physician/dr-wade-barker-25k4j/b ackground-check
Elizabeth N.
on 7/16/11 11:56 am - Burlington County, NJ
I know very little about the ins and outs of WLS and insurance, but I'll say this: Avoiding Dr. Barker and going to Dr. Stewart is WORTH any delay that might happen.

determineddanni
on 7/16/11 12:31 pm
I agree with everything everyone else has said. I think you made the right choice
(deactivated member)
on 7/16/11 1:29 pm
You can't go wrong with Dr. Stewart as your choice of surgeon.  You can read more Dr. Barker's issues with the state medical board at the link below:

http://reg.tmb.state.tx.us/TMBPublicWebSite/WEBDOCS/e00/00/9C/00009CEA.pdf

Tassia
on 7/16/11 1:40 pm
 Thank you.

From the bottom of my little heart, go to Dr Stewart, whatever it takes!

This is not even a debate in my mind.  First, even if you didn't have the pre-op stuff started with Barker, Dr Stewart IS the DS doctor in your area.  And the fact that you MIGHT go to Barker?  I shiver.

*   Take 1 DS, add a little p90x and stir :)
5' 3"  HW 293/SW 253/Goal 130/CW 128

Nissa_M
on 7/17/11 3:58 am - TX
I just had a consult with Dr Stewart on Thursday and I was thoroughly impressed. Very very nice man. I got my EKG that day in his office, have my checklist of pre-op to-do's that will be done Tuesday. Just waiting to hear back on the full requirements from my insurance for a surgery date. I don't think you'll have much if any of a delay. Like others said even if you do, it's worth it to have peace of mind and trust in your surgeon.

Dr. Stewart told me they have a lady named Kathleen who is VERY good at dealing with the insurance companies.

Good luck!

Mannyb23
on 7/17/11 8:20 am - Fort Worth, TX
I am so happy that I chose Dr. Stewart and that so many people that went to him were satisfied.  I just had surgery last monday (7/11) with him and I am happy. Kathleen does the insurance claims and she is awesome. I had my surgery done at Baylor Medical Center of Carollton which is not close to me (but my insurance pay the most there because I work for Baylor Health Care System). Dr. Stewart is awesome I had surgery on monday and went home wednseday and he answered my questions has great bedside manner and his nurse practioner Sue is great as well. You will be happy with Dr. Stewart. 
Poodles
on 7/17/11 4:47 pm - TX
This is a personal story regarding Barker vs Stewart.  I originally had a lap band put in by Dr. Benevides, who is a very good lap band surgeon.  No issues with him at all, but the band failed me and I needed a revision.  So I went to see Barker.  I did not want the RNY, but that is what he recommended at the time and his office got it approved for me. 

Well, I did not want the RNY. At that time I wanted the sleeve, but my insurance would not cover it.  I fought the insurance company for months but they would not approve the sleeve.  Then in September the insurance started covering the DS and I wanted the DS over the Rny.  When I spoke with Dr. Barker on the phone he said that he would do the DS for me and to come in and see him.  So I scheduled an appointment.  While at the appointment he came up with some reason why the DS would not be a good choice for me.  Stating that because I had stomach surgery as an infant I couldn't have the ??? part of the DS done.   Well, I came here to the boards (you may be able to search my posts here somehow) and was told by Kerry and a lot of others that he may have been mistaken and to get a second opinion.  

Well, I knew I wanted the DS and Barker wanted to stick with the RNY so I went to Stewart for a second opinion. 

I told Dr. Stewart what Dr. Barker had told me and he was very professional in his interpretation of Barkers verdict and simply said that the revision could be done and he would do it.

Since I already had the approval for the RNY in hand, it only took three days for Stewarts office to submit to insurance requesting change in Dr. and change in Procedure.   It was approved and the rest is history.

So, in my opinion, Barker either did not know what he was talking about when he gave me the reasons for why I could not do the DS, or he lied to me.  Either way, I did not feel comfortable with him any more. 

When I switched to Dr. Stewarts office I felt "special", like part of a family... not just a number.  Dr. Stewart has a particularly "dry" type of attitude, but he is honest, patient, and extremely competent.

I literally trusted him with my life.   I trust him so much we are in the process of trying to get my hubby approved for the DS with Stewart's office.  We even watched his DVD tonight so that my hubby can be informed about all four surgeries.   And I can tell you they are working very quickly to get approval, because my hubby waited until the last minute to decide he wants the surgery and my insurance starts over in September.

HTH.
 Come to the Dark Side!!!                     
Band to DS revision 11/09/09.
Learn about the Duodenal Switch at dsfacts.com ! Off site comparisons of the 4 WLS 
http://www.thinnertimes.com/weight-loss-surgery/wls-basics/w eight-loss-surgery-comparison.html
http://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html

Recent Topics