Can I have 30 seconds of your day, trying to rally everyone to sign this!

Lori Black
on 4/28/10 8:08 pm - , IN
Hey guys!

I don't know how many of you have been watching Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution, but let me tell you, it's CHANGED my views completely on cooking even healthier meals for my kids and hoping to get the schools to change their lunch menus.  We have a huge fight on our hands to get the schools to go from processed crapola to fresh cooked foods, but the first steps are to get this petition signed to be taken to President Obama to show him that America cares what the schools are giving to our kids.  I am really considering going to our school system to start the fight in our area.  With my past issues with obesity, it's a huge concern to me that my children are being offered the types of meals that they are in their schools.  When you look at the menus from the GOVERNMENT....it's enough to make you barf. 

I won't go into details unless you guys want to hear more.  PLEASE click the link below to sign the petition.  You only have to enter your email address, name, and zip code.  Please help make a difference in my kids, your kids, and your loved ones kids health.  You can see the complete season of Jamie Olivers show on the website, it's REALLY inspiring to see what this man is trying to do! 

http://www.jamieoliver.com/campaigns/jamies-food-revolution/ petition

Thanks you guys!!!!

Lori
ReCurve
on 4/28/10 8:40 pm - Peoria, AZ
Done
and thanks for the link
mylittleblackdress
on 4/28/10 8:55 pm - FL
Done and fowarded.
Lisa
Sarah B.
on 4/28/10 8:55 pm - Plymouth Meeting, PA
Done. Started watching that show prepared to hate it/him. Within a few minutes though, Jamie won me over. The food in schools IS appauling. I don't want my kids eating that crap in the future either.
Century Club: 3.14.10 ~ ONEderland 4.28.10 ~ Normal BMI & 150 Pounds Lost: 7.25.10

(HW 317 / SW 301 / GW 169 / CW 144 & LOVING my DS! / 5' 9")
Nopenname
on 4/28/10 10:47 pm - Tacoma, WA
 I haven'****ched it either because Jaime Oliver (Like Alton Brown) has said some disgusting fat bigoted remarks in his past. If I can get past that maybe I'll sit down with the show on the internet. Regardless of my hate for him, his show is probably informative and accurate (Much like with Alton Brown again!)

HW/ SW/ CW/ GW

453/380/160/165

I'm pretty sure bacon tastes as good as thin feels!
*Feel free to call me "Pen" or "Nic" I'll even answer to "hey you" *

Mommy2006
on 4/29/10 2:48 am
 Really? I'd love to know what they said.

Nopenname
on 4/29/10 3:14 am - Tacoma, WA
 Just a few of Brown's more uh..interesting comments -  "I've struggled with weight all my life, and probably always will. But I was on my most recent book tour I was shocked by the number of overweight families," he says. “People would come up to me and say, ‘Oh, we love the Food Network.’ Well, no ****; did you eat the TV? There’s only four of you and you can’t ride in an elevator together. I’ll probably make fat people angry, but we need, as a culture, to be ashamed. It’s not “… healthy."

"...I realized that something had to be done about the quivering pile of goo on which my head sits. ... I estimate that I'm carrying around thirty pounds of the stuff - lard... fatback... blubber... disgusting."

He was overweight. I do think that he has a little leftover self loathing? Maybe?

Oliver has appeared on his show in a fat suit. Man fat suits sure are good TV. And then upped the obesity crises ante by televising a 400lb man's autopsy and had this to say:

"This all stems from shoving **** in your mouth. This man ate himself to death."

Which while less inflammatory than Alton's pretty much passes the pig at a trough judgement on the obese deceased. If he'd just stopped shoving **** in his mouth he'd be fine! That works for everyone I hear. Weight Loss Surgery is a myth. 

HW/ SW/ CW/ GW

453/380/160/165

I'm pretty sure bacon tastes as good as thin feels!
*Feel free to call me "Pen" or "Nic" I'll even answer to "hey you" *

Batwingsman
on 4/28/10 9:07 pm - Garland, TX
 Admirable idea, Lori, but where is the petition on there?    Does he mean just those two sentences?    They express a couple of aspirations in general terms, but no specifics of how the people want those goals to be accomplished.    Without it, I don't see that just signing those two sentences is going to get anything done as a practical matter, in and of themselves.  

Kudos though to Jamie ..  I enjoyed his eye-opening expose on T.V. recently which revealed how so many of our young school kids cannot even identify common raw vegetables, such as tomatoes and potatoes, on sight, b/c they have only eaten processed ones.      (esp. scary was the boy who thought an eggplant was an "eggsalad" plant    )   Funny that it took someone from another country (the U.K.) to open our eyes up here as to the sad situation we're in .. 

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

shele
on 4/28/10 9:42 pm

sighned! and on facebook! Thanks for getting this out there!

My kids complain about their food all the time.  It is hard to pack, as the school wont provide refrigeration, nor will they allow the kids to use a microwave to warm up anything before 6th grade! 

There can be such minor changes made to make things more healthy, it can't be that hard!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

Valerie G.
on 4/28/10 9:49 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
I signed it too -- but want to recommend that instead of taking the petition to President Obama, go to the First Lady instead, who has made childhood obesity her pet project.  Showing how our own government is contributing to the obesity in children, I think you'll get a more actionable ear on that subject. 

This reminded me of my son's discovery this year.  He's been buying school lunch since middle school.  He noticed during winter break that he lost weight amongst all of the holiday goodies, but ate much healthier foods in between -- namely during lunch.  He's the type who notices the difference in his own performance with different foods.  He decided that school lunches made him more sluggish and held on to weight, and has been making his own lunch ever since.  He makes a sandwich, and adds a cup of carbmasters yogurt and he's happy.  I bought him chips once, and he said it was just too much and he preferred yogurt.  Why couldn't I have been like him as a kid?

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes