Sweeteners... artificial, real... whatever?

frankurban
on 2/23/10 6:28 am - CA
Is there any sweetener out there (artificial or real) we can use that doesn't screw with our digestive system?

I've been looking around and can't find a single one. They're either real and filled w/ carbs or artificial w/ warnings of potential gas, diarrhea, etc.

I use Stevia right now and I think it's screwing with me. I drink a lot of tea and need something to sweeten it.
Frank
(deactivated member)
on 2/23/10 6:38 am - Minneapolis area, MN
I don't know a whole lot about them--does sucralose cause problems with your digestive system?
Rocky-Raccoon
on 2/23/10 6:41 am, edited 2/23/10 6:41 am - XX
Some brands of stevia includes some sugar alcohols.�

Rhaynefall
on 2/23/10 6:44 am - Clarksville, IN
Splenda doesn't bother me as long as I don't go bat**** crazy with it.
Karen F.
on 2/23/10 7:20 am - Rockaway Beach, MO
I've been using Sweet N Low (saccharine) for almost 40 years.  Hasn't caused me any problems since my DS.

Karen

Highest weight:261 (2/07), First Consult weight: 242 (12/4/07)
Day of Lap Band Surgery: 213.2 (4/16/08)
Day of revision to DS: 208 (10/16/2009), Current weight: 138.0

beemerbeeper
on 2/23/10 7:39 am - AL
I think this is very individual.  I haven't seemed to have any problems with artificial sweeteners.  I use a lot of splenda.

Sugar alcohols on the other hand cause terrible gas.  So I work to avoid them.

Becky

krissywats
on 2/23/10 7:43 am - Kew Gardens, NY
I use (GASP) real sugar.  So far no weight loss issues - 32 lbs to goal at seven months out.  I'm careful-ish, as in I wouldn't drink sweetened tea every day - I mostly drink water.  But yeah - I just use the real stuff.  And I have a treat of some kind every single day.

After I did all the research on how to eat organically and how to eat whole foods about seven years ago when my liver exploded (not literally, long story but involved having a fifth of my liver removed) I will never again use artificial sweeteners or high fructose corn syrup. 

I've been looking for a replacement for a loooooooong time that is natural and doesn't mess with our new guts.  Good luck and let me know if you find one - some people swear by stevia but all the research I've done says that it's ok in small amounts (like how the Japanese use it) but no verified evidence that it's ok in the amounts we Americans use it to replace sugar.  I've yet to try agave although the carb count on that is only marginally less than sugar. 

So yeah - real sugar for me!

7/19/09 - DS with Dr. Alfons Pomp
7/11/12 -  tummy tuck, UBL, larg lipo sculpting of torso, lipo of "buffalo hump" with Dr. Sauceda
mrsannie
on 2/23/10 8:49 am
I too use real sugar in my coffee.  I use the Sugar in the Raw, unrefined sugar.  I use a little, like 1/2 teaspoon or so, just enough to sweeten a little bit, and it does not cause any issues.

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
CharleeG
on 2/23/10 7:46 am - Jonesboro, AR
On February 23, 2010 at 2:28 PM Pacific Time, frankurban wrote:
Is there any sweetener out there (artificial or real) we can use that doesn't screw with our digestive system?

I've been looking around and can't find a single one. They're either real and filled w/ carbs or artificial w/ warnings of potential gas, diarrhea, etc.

I use Stevia right now and I think it's screwing with me. I drink a lot of tea and need something to sweeten it.
Are you using one of the sweeteners with Stevia in it, like Truvia or PureVia? Can't think of the other one's name. They have sugar alcohols in them. Stevia from the health food/whole food store comes in a small bottle with a dropper and usually contains Rebaudioside A, Vegetable Glycerin & Purified Water. Rebaudioside A is a component of Stevia extract. Sweet Leaf is the brand I use.

Of course, I'm preop, so listen to them what's had the DS. ;-)

frankurban
on 2/23/10 10:47 am - CA
I'm using a brand I picked up from Trader Joes. I just checked and it says it contains rice maltodextrin... and sugar is listed in the supplement facts. Groan. I'm going to track down a brand of this that Kayla suggests below.

Thanks!
Frank
Most Active
15 Years Post-op with Plastics
Lisey · 0 replies · 84 views
Recent Topics
15 Years Post-op with Plastics
Lisey · 0 replies · 84 views
Smelly gas
1Mari_sunflower · 3 replies · 151 views
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 6 replies · 787 views