What supplements help w/ stinky gas 'n poop?

frankurban
on 2/14/10 9:29 am - CA
The search feature on OH is terrible! I know this topic is brought up regularly, but I've been searching the site for about 45 minutes and still don't have a good answer. I apologize in advance for the repetitive post :(

So, I'm clear on how my diet effects the situation and am working on that. I'm also aware of the various cover up sprays. What I'm looking for is info about good tried and tested supplements.

I'd prefer supplements I can take long term with no risk of complication. Supplements that reduce both the volume of gas and the smell of gas & poop. I'd prefer to stay away from Flagyl and other antibiotics (personal preference). I don't have a c-diff problem, in fact I've been thoroughly tested and have no intestinal disorders (aside from IBS... groan).

I'm aware of Gas-X and take it on occasion, and I wonder if complications can arise from daily, long term use. I take Primal Defense Ultra and have tested it... it's helping, not causing gas.

I've heard about beano, chloroform, charcoal and Davrom, but don't know much about them. What's the skinny on these supplements?

Are there other supplements I should check out?

THANK YOU!!!!

Frank
* Gail R *
on 2/14/10 9:49 am - SF Bay Area, CA
I hope you mean chlorophyll! I take "nullo" everyday with my supplements. I ordered it on the Internet. It is somewhat helpful.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

frankurban
on 2/14/10 9:58 am - CA
Gail... did I say chloroform... ha, right chlorophyll. That's what I meant... lol...

Nullo is somewhat helpful, ok... that's good to know. Is it safe to take daily and long term w/out consequence? Can it be taken in combination with other supplements for a greater effect?

Frank
* Gail R *
on 2/14/10 11:15 am - SF Bay Area, CA
I should have mentioned that Nullo is a Chlorophyll tablet. I think that it is completely benign. It is used by hunters to mask their odor. The box says something like ~ take a nullo at night and call the taxidermist in the morning. LOL

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

RainyDayWoman
on 2/14/10 9:56 am - Fridley, MN
Definitely skip the chloroform!  Unless that's your thing.    Chlorophyll is supposed to be a good one for some people - apparently it can even get rid of the scent of your sweat. 

Charcoal can work really well but it also can absorb the good stuff in your vitamin and mineral supplements, so it's probably fine for a weekend trip where you have to share a hotel room or something, but for daily use.  Devrom might also interfere with mineral absorption. 

I think Beano's totally safe but it's more of a digestive aid than an internal deo. 

You may have a shorter list than you think of foods you're sensitive to - maybe keep a food journal for a few days and see what makes the issues worse. 
Lilypie - (SzbI)
frankurban
on 2/14/10 10:01 am - CA
O****hlorophyll, excellent. Not cloroform... yes, lol...

Can chlorophyll be taken daily, long term w/out ill effect?

So far nullo and chlorophyll are on penciled in on my shopping list

Frank
Batwingsman
on 2/14/10 11:04 am - Garland, TX
 On some days I WISH I had some cloroform ..  so I could knock everyone else around me out so they don't get hit with my smells ..  

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

mrsannie
on 2/14/10 8:45 pm
Amen to that!

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
Bronwen
on 2/14/10 10:22 am - Wilmington, DE
I'm 3.5 years out and I eat all kinds of crap that you shouldn't eat, so take this with a grain of salt.  I've been trying Nullo, and it doesn't do all that much but turn my poop green.  I take 6-9 a day, about 2 to 3 times the recommended dose.  Since you're early out and most likely behaving yourself diet-wise, you might have more success with Nullo.

I'm going to give Devrom a whirl next.  I've heard that the chewables are full of sugar alcohols, so I'm going to stay away from them and use the capsules.
sw:298/cw:152/no goal set
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open."  --J.K. Rowling,  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Batwingsman
on 2/14/10 11:02 am, edited 2/14/10 11:05 am - Garland, TX
Bronwen (and Lori) be VERY careful with the # of Nullo you take per day.   Be sure to not exceed the amount shown on the label.

I've pointed out before on here how on Nullo's website they have a testimonial by a WLSer (sounds like she is an RNYer) who says it works for her, and she takes about the same # daily that you do, Bronwen.   I asked "Big Al" (the owner of the co. that makes Nullo, apparently) about this testimonial and the max # shown on the directions for Nullo, which say not to exceed 3 a day.  Big Al told me that they have, since that tesimonial, changed the formuation of Nullo so that it is more concentrated, and that, as shown on the label, no more than 3 can be taken safely a day.  (I told him he might want to point that out w. the testimonial, so that users don't get confused and "O.D." on the stuff! )

btw, Nullo is really just chlorophyll with copper-something added to it, to supposedly made it more "bioavailable"/absorbed by the body than the regular chlorophyll products  --  or at least that's what their website claims ..  

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

Most Active
15 Years Post-op with Plastics
Lisey · 0 replies · 84 views
Recent Topics
15 Years Post-op with Plastics
Lisey · 0 replies · 84 views
Smelly gas
1Mari_sunflower · 3 replies · 151 views
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 6 replies · 787 views