Patricia's HOPE

Groups » Patricia's HOPE » Discussion » To La*****t to Lap

To La*****t to Lap

Nancy1Marie
on 9/7/08 4:24 am - Underwood, MN
Hi,
I have a question. Is having the lapband easier for some people to have than the gastric bypass? I am thinking about switching. My dotor would refer me for that one. 

Love, Nancy
Brenda R.
on 9/11/08 9:39 pm - Portage, IN
Nancy, I originally went to the doctor to see about Lap Band. I had several co-morbidities and most of all the diabetes was really bad. I was taking 5 shots a day and then went to a pump. I had to use the U500 insulin which is 5 times stronger than the U100. I was using a lot of that too. I was also taking the oral meds 2 times a day. My wls doctor told me that he would rather me have the rny instead of the lap band. It really scared me so it took me a long time to decide. He told me that if I had the lap band it would take me about 2 years to get off insulin because the weight comes off slower. He said that if I had the rny he would have me off insulin in 9 months. I decided to go with the rny and have never regretted it. I was off the oral meds 1 month prior to surgery and off insulin completely 1 week before my surgery and have never had anything since.

The weight loss is slower with the lap band but you lose more for a longer period of time. The rny you lose more faster but then it slows down a lot 9-14 months out of surgery. My wls said that he sees more 9 months than 14. I have slowed down from about 10 pounds a month to about 5 pounds a month and I am 11 months out of surgery.

The choice of which surgery you have is a decision that only you can make. I would weigh the co-morbidities and the severity of them also. Talk over with you wls surgeon or nurse any questions that you have. Good luck and I will keep you in my prayers.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter 
                        that tells what kind of life you have lived.

oh_c_card-2.gif picture by kittikat22