Overlake Hospital Medical Center

Groups » Overlake Hospital Me... » Discussion » Overview of Bellevu...

Overview of Bellevue Support Meeting 8/8/09

karenhardy
on 8/8/09 11:42 am - Renton, WA
Hi everyone, here's a breakdown of what was discussed at today's group. 

We discussed quality of life before and after WLS.  How we look and feel about ourselves.   We did an activity sheet  where you chose how you feel about certain things, for example, How do you usually feel, the lowest being "I feel very bad about myself" and the highest being "I feel very good about my self".  Another one was The way I approach food is, the lowest being "I live to eat" and the highest being "I eat to live"  are you at one end or the other or maybe in between and do a little of both.   This was just a personal activity to see how you see yourself.   No one discussed their own findings.  How do you see yourself?

We also discussed the benefits of a mental health evaulation after WLS as well as before.  We all know that it's a requirement by most insurance companies to see a therapist prior to surgery but what about after surgery as our bodies and minds change.    What do you think?   Do you think that insurance should cover that or even require it?  Would you go to see a therapist after WLS if financially you could afford it or if insurance would pay for it?

Just a reminder that the Obesity Help Conference will be at the Weston Hotel in Seattle, Friday, 8/14/09 and Saturday, 8/15/09.  To find the different activties go to www.obestiyhelp.com and then click on Events (at the top of the page) and then click on View All Events (on the left side of the page).

Recently I listed 5 of the 21 most common mistakes we make after WLS.  Here are 5 more.

Assuming you are cured of obesity: It is commone for WLS patients to not lose to their goal weight or to regain some or all of their weight.   If you don't make peace with food, the scale, and your body, and change your lifestyle; regain is likely.

Grazing:  When you nibble small amounts frequently, calories add up fast.   Do your best to eat planned meals and snacks.  Remember, once you start grazing, the habit can grow and get out of hand.

Saying mean and heartless things to yourself:  No one ever improved by telling themselves they are stupid or a pig.   Negative self talk harms your self worth and breeds hopelessness.  Change what you say to yourself to see positive change.

Not eating the right amount of food:  When you under eat, you slow down your metabolism and burn fewer calories.  When you eat too much, you can stretch out your pouch, enlarge your stoma, and increase calorie consumption significantly. 

Drinking Alcohol:  Alcohol has 7 calories per gram, while protein and vegetables have 4 calories per gram.  Some people, who never had a problem before, get addicted to alcohol after WLS.  This is called transfer addiction. 

More to come with the next post.   I'll talk to you soon.

Karen Hardy

rcb154
Group Leader

karenhardy
Co-Administrator