Mental Health

Recent Posts

anninva
on 6/13/11 3:08 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
Topic: Let's get moving, 10 minutes at a time!
hi all,

thank boxermom for this great idea!  it's so hard for us to get moving -- i think depression just sucks the soul out of you, and other things that we're all dealing with can really rag you out too.

i want to stop being mean to myself about exercise and i hope we can all try for that.  i know it's a hard one!

boxermom had a great idea, which was to just try for ten minutes.  just ten minutes.  doing anything that involves moving -- a walk, swimming, dancing to a cd or a music station if you have one on your cable tv line-up.

so, this is the 10-minute challenge.  post what you did for 10 minutes today!!!!  even if you hate exercising as much as i  do (and i HATE it), let's give it a go.  

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

anninva
on 6/13/11 2:51 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
Topic: RE: anyone else just want to veg when you should be exercising???
hey there boxermom -- go for it! i actually made it to the zumba class on saturday -- my partner went with me just to get me there and that really helped. it was HARD and i had to stop a few times, but it was actually fun. so i accomplished one of my goals! i plan on going to a class tuesday night. i get out of work early that day (used to have a therapist appt, then switched to once a week but still leave at 4:00, mwah, ha, ha)so i'm going to go home, have a snack and then go to the class. that's my plan. i have to not beat myself up if i don't do it.

my other goal for the week is to get into the pool at our complex while it's cool enough (80s) before it gets hot again (90s) b/c i can't stand the heat! i'm gonna post a challenge-y thing, sticky it and see what happens! let's get this party started!

boxermom
on 6/12/11 7:53 pm - MI
Topic: Accountability - Week One - How was your Weekend??
Good Morning Everyone!

As promised, this is our weekly post to record the progress that we've made toward our wls goals.  Today, if you would like, just share with us how your weekend was, how you felt, if you dealt with any particular difficult issues, if you worked out and what you ate.  Mix it up, this forum is yours to use as needed...

All week, if you would like to revisit this post and update us if you have had any successes or overcame any obstacles, we would love it!  Again, this can be a journal if you'd like!

Thoughts become things... choose the good ones!

Boxermom
290/190/160  TT done
sw/cw/gw 

boxermom
on 6/11/11 8:11 am - MI
hi ann -

just wanted to check in and let you know i was able to walk for 10 mins today.  I need to start out slow and work my way up.  as far as wise food choices, not good at all.  too many carbs for sure.  kinda cancels out the walk!

bm

Boxermom
290/190/160  TT done
sw/cw/gw 

boxermom
on 6/10/11 7:55 pm - MI
Topic: RE: Summer Heat
I cant promise 30 mins of exercise, since I havent exercised in a while.  I can shoot for 10-15 mins each day.  How does that sound?

p.s I also take lamictal, and it truly helps me.  But if you feel its no longer effective, you need to tell your dr. right away.  Do Not Wait.  You know how important meds are to us in the prevention of a Relapse.  Make an appt as soon as possible.

p.s.s. EXERCISE MAKES US HAPPIER, ENDORPHINES BABY!

bm

Boxermom
290/190/160  TT done
sw/cw/gw 

boxermom
on 6/10/11 7:48 pm - MI
Ann,

You just wrote 'a day in the life of Boxermom'!  Sometimes our days are so mentally and physically exhausting its hard to keep motivated, let alone keep our head off our pillows!!!! 

Maybe what you [and me] can try is to set a goal of doing 10 mins 3x per week of zumba/walking/fill in the exercise here...  And then the next week, make it 15 mins, so on and so fourth. 

Lets start slow, and maybe have some peanut butter or a protein shake before our workout, so it energizes us.  I wouldnt eat dinner prior to working out, you know how it makes you sleepy!  And reward yourself after your work out.  Like a long hot bath, a dip in the pool, a long cold shower, something relaxing. 

I am willing to do this with you.  We can be accountable on the board.  Lets post our progress, when we work out, when we dont.  We can add to a discussion topic we've created.  Like, "Accountability - Food and Exercise Week 1" or something like that.  What do you think?

I will do it for sure and make it my journal.  I don't think anyone will mind, do you?

bm

Boxermom
290/190/160  TT done
sw/cw/gw 

anninva
on 6/10/11 3:19 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
Topic: RE: Summer Heat
okay!  i'll try.  my partner is coming to zumba with me on saturday -- to get me to go and b/c it should be fun and if it doesn't rain i might be able to swim.

i HATE heat like crazy.  it's always muggy heat here in the DC area and i'm a delicate northern flower from Maine, so . . .   I LOVE A/C!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

have a great weekend all!!!  let's try to get a few endorphins snapping!

Fatmamma
on 6/9/11 1:13 pm - Austin, TX
I don't do anything but come home from work eat.craft and watch tv. I never have been a exerciser except weekends when I can go to the pool. Working 9am to 7pm not many hours left to exercise. We just gunna have to figure it out. A friend told me if I didn't want to go out and wanted to watch tv to PACE AROUND WHEN I WATCH TV. Good idea gunna stat that
Wild One    
Fatmamma
on 6/9/11 1:03 pm - Austin, TX
Topic: Summer Heat
I love the summer heat when its the weekend. Its pool time and lake time. I take lamictal for my brain. I think its time for something diff. Hard to exercise when you are down. Its the weekend coming let's all get out do something. Who's up for 30 min exercise both days this weekend. We can do it come on group. We can motivate each other right.
Wild One    
anninva
on 6/9/11 2:15 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
Topic: anyone else just want to veg when you should be exercising???
hi all,

i have a question b/c this makes me so mad at myself and i don't know what to do.  or, really, i know what to do and then i don't and then i just hate myself.

i have a trainer who comes every six weeks or so -- the exercises aren't bad and when she's there i basically enjoy them  and then i never (and i mean never) do anything until i see her again.  and i get so angry with myself!!!!  and i'm supposed to try a zumba class this week (and have paid for one to get myself to go) and i haven't gone AND i lied to my nice (but athletic) friend at work about going b/c i was so ashamed that i hadn't.

i'm just so tired after work that all i can do or all i do, is curl up in the corner of my couch and snooze.  i feel awful about it.  but it's all i want to do.  and i'm not an early riser so it's after work for me and then i'm so tired, as i've said.

arrrrrrrrgh!!!!  any ideas???  anyone else feel this way????