Mental Health

Recent Posts

UtopianDream
on 2/22/12 8:22 am - St. Ignace, MI
RNY on 01/03/12
Topic: Bipolar Post-Op: my experiences
I hope this group becomes active again.  There are a lot of people with mental illness who get bariatric surgery.  With meds and depressions one of the many huge contributors to weight gain, a group like this is needed.

I recently responded to a question about Bipolar Disorder and Bariatric Surgery and wanted to share part of it with this group.

I have Bipolar Disorder and am 7 weeks post-op for the Roux En Y.  Here are some of my experiences thus far with BP and gastric bypass (which may differ from anyone else's and I am NOT a doctor so please discuss EVERYTHING with your pdoc):

1) DOCTOR: Include your psych doc in all planning pre and post op - talk about what may happen and what is happening. Be sure you are able to call him/her or someone if things get rough.

2) MOODS: Be prepared for some mood swings.  My doc said first 2 weeks may cause them but everyone is different and mine started at week 3.  The main reason...

3) PSYCH MEDS: You may not be able to swallow all your meds on a normal schedule for the first 4-6 weeks.  ** Discuss liquid, dissolvable, and chewable versions of your meds and have them on hand before surgery.  ** Buy a good pill cutter for those not available in smaller or easier forms.  ** Keep doc informed of missed meds and any other trouble.  ** Have doc give you a run down of an order to take your meds (most important ones first in case you cannot get them all in).  I messed up with Lamictal because I didn't know it needs to remain in system every day or it is useless - discuss things like that with doc.

4) DON'T PANIC:  I know that seems hard in the midst of the ride but as my mom always told me, "this too shall pass."  Don't get mad at yourself because your meds and the schedule of taking them changes in first month or two.  I missed meds like crazy somedays and got down on myself - it only makes you feel worse. 

5) POSITIVE BP CHANGES: As I went along my pdoc was able to cut most of my meds way down because of many reasons: I had more energy, was less depressed, got more exercise, and the pouch is small and dissolves pills differently after surgery. 

And as I said, this is just my experience and yours may be different (feel I have to state that for safety sake).

Would love to hear other's experiences.  I am new here so I haven't had the chance to read everything or even fill out my About Me section.

Wishing you all good health!

severman
on 1/7/12 10:00 am - Indianapolis, IN
Topic: Resolutions
So what are everyone's New Year Resolutions? 

Stephanie E
severman
on 1/6/12 8:51 am - Indianapolis, IN
Topic: RE: Psych Visit
Thanks!  Keep doing what's best for you and hopefully soon you'll be there soon!
anninva
on 1/5/12 11:57 pm - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
Topic: RE: Happy New Year
hi stephanie!

one of my resolutions is to try to get things moving, so we'll start with the two of us!

i wasn't great during the holidays so i'm afraid to weigh!  going to weigh on sunday, which is my usual day.  tuesday 1/10 is my surgiversary -- 1 yr -- and i have a follow-up appt that day so that should rock!!

why does chocolate go down so easily?!?!?! 

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

anninva
on 1/5/12 11:54 pm - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
Topic: RE: Psych Visit
hi stephanie!!!

that's is totally excellent!!  i call it the every-three-months club!  i'm still going down on some meds (finally!!!) so i'm only in the every-six-weeks club, but it's a far cry from when i was in crisis!

isn't stability great?  i feel so, so lucky!

congrats again! 

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

severman
on 1/5/12 3:37 am - Indianapolis, IN
Topic: Psych Visit
I'm doing so well now that I only have to see the doctor once every three months for med management.  YEAH!! This is the best I've been for a long time!

Hope everyone else is doing just as well or not better!

Stephanie E
severman
on 1/3/12 6:45 am - Indianapolis, IN
Topic: Happy New Year
Where is everyone?  I had a great holiday and behaved myself with all the sweets.  Could have done better, but overall did good.  How was everyone else's holiday?    One of my new years resolution is to visit this site daily.

Stephanie E
(deactivated member)
on 9/27/11 2:37 pm - Toronto, Canada
Topic: RE: Trazodone
 I only know that it is one of the older antidepressants and that it can make people feel sedated. most of the old antidepressants put weight on people.  Is there a different medication that can be used?
severman
on 9/22/11 1:34 pm - Indianapolis, IN
Topic: Trazodone
I am curious to see if anyone else has had problems with weight gain due to Trazodone.  My GI doctor put me on it to help with abdominal spasms and I have put on close to 20 pounds since the end of April.  I can't take it anymore!  Something has to give. Any suggestions?

Stephanie E 
(deactivated member)
on 9/8/11 10:55 am - Toronto, Canada