Mental Health

Recent Posts

nfarris79
on 4/2/11 10:00 am - Germantown, MD
Topic: RE: who i am!
 So I joined this group from the RNY page and I guess I should introduce myself too - it'd be rude to join a group and just be a lurker, right?

I'm Nicole from Germantown, MD - bit up the way from you Ann!

I'm a licensed therapist and scheduled for RNY on 4/12. Have my private practice in Gaithersburg MD. Obviously, I'm interested in supporting others on OH and frequently insert my unsolicited advice but given my professional training feel that I have a leg to stand on when I say (hopefully) helpful things. Have had a bit of personal experience with panic attacks & talk therapy and professional training in broad areas but specialize in domestic violence, anxiety disorders (big shock there), GLBT issues and health psychology. 

If anyone has any questions on the MH side, I'm always glad to give my opinion or impression. Just hoping to be helpful to anyone in need.....

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

boxermom
on 3/30/11 8:25 pm - MI
Ann,

First off, THANK YOU for forming this board.  Its long been needed since I would never post of this stuff on the Main Forum.  Don't want advice from those who do not know of our struggles... Unless they are a trained professional, which is hard to find on OH :)

My psych meds actually change frequently.  Trying to find the ones that have the best absortion rate for Rny issues is critical.  But ya know what, if it helps me, I will do whatever it takes...

good to meet you,

bm
Thoughts become things... choose the good ones!

Boxermom
290/190/160  TT done
sw/cw/gw 

boxermom
on 3/30/11 8:19 pm - MI
Topic: RE: Introduce Myself
Doreen, 

Just wanted to give you my support for continuing to struggle with depression.  Hopefully we all can offer you advice or kind words to get you through each battle.

bm

Boxermom
290/190/160  TT done
sw/cw/gw 

boxermom
on 3/30/11 8:00 pm - MI
Topic: Good Morning!
Good Morning Group -

My name is Bee and I am almost 4 yrs post op from Rny.  I stumbled upon this post through the Revision Board as I am considering a revision to a DS or BOB.  I have regained approx 35 lbs and I now re-qualify for wls....

About 6 months after I had surgery, I became very manic [ in a Charlie Sheen - WINNING kinda way ].  Behaving carelessly and drinking, not caring of the consequences.  Then I hit the low, so I sought help [ crying at work, high anxiety ].  I was tested twice for bi-polar and then diagnosed with it.  I had originally thought that my behavior was due to losing weight [ new level of confidence ] or hormones.  I was wrong.  I believe I have been bi-polar for many years, but never found the right doctor to recognize it. 

I guess my point is, don't wait until you are spiraling out of control to seek help.  Sometimes, its more serious than you think and its safest to see someone, even if its your PCP at first.

I hope this forum is a sounding board for us who struggle with Mental Illness.  To present our problems, issues, conflicts or rants and raves and get some real life advice from those who have lived through it.

I look forward to hearing from you all.  Remember 'MOM' - Mind Over Matter :)

Bee

Boxermom
290/190/160  TT done
sw/cw/gw 

SingingSkinny
on 3/30/11 2:40 pm - Rosholt, WI
Glad to meet ya. My name is Doreen and I am from WI. I have battled depression for as long as I can remember. I am also a cutter. Didn't seek help for it until about 10 years ago. Since then, I have had  2 hospitalization for suicide. I really hit bottom. Because of the hospitalizations, I had to wait a year to have wls. Program policy is that is if you have a psych history you must wait 12 months and remain emotionally stable for those 12 months.  I was disappointed, but it was probably a good thing. I am not on many meds at the moment. Just went off some and trying something new. Was just dxed with ADD today. Will be starting meds for that in about a week. Trying Prozac this time along with my Lithium. Hope this combo works. I also have Fibromyalgia, high blood pressure (which has been doing great with the weight loss), arthritis in my back and knees, and diabetes (which is also doing good now. Decreasing insulin every month!!! ) As far as the depression goes? I still struggle with it everyday. I am hoping to make some new friends here as well as share and learn from others. Take care!
anninva
on 3/30/11 4:05 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
Topic: who i am!
hi folks, i just thought i should introduce myself since i started this darn thing!

my name is ann and i live in virginia, right across the potomac from washington, dc.  i've been dealing with depression, anxiety, and some ptsd for many years.  i've actually been in the hospital a couple of times, which sucked, but have been stable for a couple of years now on the zillion meds that i take. \

post wls i had some depression, probably hormones or something, but that's resolved a lot.  i'm feeling pretty good since i've lost a good chunk of myself (a toddler!) since my vsg surgery in january.  i'm hoping to go down on some of my psych meds when i get significantly lighter and my pdoc agrees.

basically i'm doing okay now, but i totally know the feeling of deep depression, the awful feeling of anxiety, and the scariness of the post-traumatic stuff.

i hope that this will be a place where people feel safe talking about all sorts of feelings and challenges we face.

welcome!  ann

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

anninva
on 3/28/11 1:24 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
Topic: RE: Introduce Myself
Hi Doreen!  Welcome to the group (which seems to be you and me at this moment).  i hope more people fnd us -- i know i was really interested in finding a mental health group.

i know all too well about depression and anxiety and i've been battling them for years too.  i seem to be pretty stable right now (saw the pdoc on tues and don't have to go back for 2mos which is a new record these days) but am still prone to falling into places of feeling awful or super anxious.

i didn't have to wate a year, but the psych didn't give me a glowing report, so i was worried for a while that it was screwed up, but it finally went okay.

i'm here for support (and you are too!), so let me know how you are and we'll keep in touch!

so happy you found the group!!!!!

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

SingingSkinny
on 3/24/11 7:59 am - Rosholt, WI
Topic: Introduce Myself
My name is Doreen. I am 47 years old. I had the gastric sleeve done in Dec. 2010. I have battled depression for many years and still do. It put my surgery on delay so I had to wait a year before I the doc would give me the go-ahead. I also suffer from a food addiction which just fuels the depression. It is a vicious circle.