Mental Health

Recent Posts

Charity W.
on 4/24/11 12:31 pm - Lawton, OK
Topic: RE: Ruining my WLS
 Thanks for your very thorough post. I am actually going to print it out and research the medications you mentioned. Grazing at night is a big problem for me. Some days are better than others. Once I slip and have a carb, forget it. It is like a free for all. :(  

Hopefully one day soon I can again feel like the strong person that I know I once was. Thanks for your support. :)

boxermom
on 4/23/11 11:34 pm - MI
About 6 months after I had surgery,  I was tested twice for bi-polar and then diagnosed with it.  I had originally thought that my behavior was due to losing weight [ new level of confidence ] or hormones.  I wish someone would do a study on mental illness occuring post op.  I think its more common and related than people think.

I too take Lamotrigine or  "lamictal" because its a mood stabilizer and is almost always given for bipolar.  they may put you on depacote or another stabilizer later on.  "Psychiatrists have used topiramate to treat bipolar and often use topiramate to augment psychotrophics or counteract weight gain associated with numerous antidepressants".  I am also on abilify to increase the seratonin in my body.  they have put me on Luvox to control obsessive / compulsive thoughts.  I got on Luvox becauseto replace the other they had me on made me graze at night.  I put on 30 lbs in the one month i was on it.  they put me on adipex to counter balance the increased appetite.  maybe you can ask about it too.  and it may decrease your appetite for the carbs and eating in general.  possibly limiting your pouch size to what it should be so new out of surgery.

i feel you are a very STRONG PERSON because you are being proactive with your illness.  It takes a strong individual to admit you need help and then seek it.
Thoughts become things... choose the good ones!

Boxermom
290/190/160  TT done
sw/cw/gw 

Charity W.
on 4/14/11 6:31 am - Lawton, OK
 I have been trying to be a little more thoughtful of what I put into my mouth even though I have the I don't care attitude. Since coming back to the boards and posting I have moved past my stall. Maybe the meds are kicking in and helping too. Hoping that I can get over this hump and get back to a normal life soon.

Thanks for your reply. :)

anninva
on 4/11/11 7:44 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
Topic: why are YOU here?!?!?!?
Hi all,

so, i started this group as a place for people to feel safe discussing mental health issues because i know i have them, worry that they'll get in the way of my wls success and figured other people would too.  strength in numbers, right???

i'm interested in why people have joined and what you'd like to see here?  i'm wide open to ideas.  let us know a little bit about you -- i know this is a supportive group -- i can feel it in my bones!!

Peace,

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

anninva
on 4/11/11 7:36 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
Hey, Charity,  I'm really glad you posted.  these freakin' mental illnesses just screw things up!!!  i have major depression also, was on disability for about 18 months, and generally feel like i know some of what you're feeling.  and it sucks.  i hope the lamictal helps -- it really gave me energy that i had never had before.  so, hoping that for you too.

i'm certainly not the food expert -- only 3 mos in -- but i know it must be hard to take care of your eating when you don't care about taking care of yourself.  i mean, i know it is, b/c i've been there.  so, no brilliant ideas about food.  pls be kind to yourself, take one tiny step at a time, maybe do one little thing a day that makes you feel like you are taking care of your sleeve life.

hope this helps a little.  i'm sending you my best thoughts!!!! 

nfarris79
on 4/9/11 8:42 am - Germantown, MD
Topic: RE: How will you spend ME time today?
 ME time depends on the need IMO. When I need connection, I'll go on the RNY forum, call friends, etc. When I need pampering, I LOVE getting pedicures. That may change when I can actually reach my feet and can do some DIY pedi. As a very quick de-stressor, I do some deep breathing. I agree that nature is a good focus and helps one reconnect & be grounded.....

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Charity W.
on 4/8/11 2:51 pm - Lawton, OK
Topic: Ruining my WLS
My name is Charity. I had my surgery Oct 21 2011. I have lost 86 lbs since then. I have severe depression, bi-polar and recently diagnosed with add or adhd. I don't remember what the doc said. One of my symptoms is hearing and memory. Anyway, I have not been following my diet the way I should. I am under a lot of stress in all areas of life. I am out of work due to all of this so I am working towards disability. I have real bad insomnia and the sleep meds (once they GET me to sleep, if they do) keep me drugged out the next day. I am eating way to often, and noticing that I am able to eat more than I should at 5 and a half months out. I am doing everything wrong and I can't seem to stop myself. I don't want this to have been a waste of time or money or my last chance. I live with one of my daughters and her boyfriend and they eat anything and I find myself eating what they eat instead of making my own food cause I just don't have the motivation or energy to do it. 

I am lost, confused, frustrated and angry at myself for messing this up and not doing anything about it and it is almost like I don't care. But then again, right now, I don't care about anything. I am on Lamotrigine and Topiramate and Celexa. The first two are new and will be weaned off the Celexa as the dosage of the other two are increased over time. I used to be a strong person and now I just feel like mush. 

Not sure why I am posting. Not looking for sympathy but maybe ideas on how to get me to see the light and get me to stop stretching my stomach. Or maybe its too late and I have already stretched it. 

Thanks for reading

anninva
on 4/4/11 11:18 pm - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
Topic: RE: Good Morning!
Hi Bee!

Glad you're feeling more even, though re-gain sux.  bipolar is so hard to diagnose -- i know people go for years with the wong or no diagnosis.  everyone in my dept is bipolar except me.  LOL  i work in a mental health agency (i'm a social worker) on a helpline and we're like the "consumer" department.  we have a lot of fun though and it's nice to work with people who are up-front with their illness and living well for the most part (with some blips).

i'm glad you're out of your Charlie Sheen stage (definitely something going on there!) and back to duh -- Winning with the bipolar.

thanks for being here and posting!  i hope this will be a supportive place too!

anninva
on 4/4/11 11:13 pm - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
Topic: RE: How will you spend ME time today?
totally with you on the nap!!!!  it's lashing rain outside and cold (79 yesterday, 58 today) and nothing sounds better than curling up on the couch in front of a hot tv.  feeling unusually tired today (death in the family yesterday), so sacking out is VERY appealing.  trying to  mend my couch potato ways, but can't seem to exercise  . . .

who else?!?!?

boxermom
on 4/2/11 11:53 pm - MI
Topic: How will you spend ME time today?
I have always thought that everyday, we need to do something for OURSELVES.  Something that we truly enjoy that will help us relax and relieve the stresses of the day.  Sometimes its sitting down and reading a couple chapters of a book.  Or a bubble bath.  A favorite t.v. show.  Personally I like to spend time at the dog park with my 3 yr old Boxer.  Its relaxing because its nature at its purest.  Watching dogs be dogs is enjoyable for me :)

What will you do today?

Me:  since its cold and rainy today, I will probably indulge in a nap....

BM

Thoughts become things... choose the good ones!

Boxermom
290/190/160  TT done
sw/cw/gw