Mental Health

Groups » Mental Health » Discussion » Are your medication...

Are your medications changing as you lose??

anninva
on 3/15/12 5:28 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
just wondering about people's experiences!  i've gone off glucophage (pre-diabetic) for 3 mos to see how it goes, but i'm really talking about pysch meds.

my pdoc and i have started with geodon, which i have been taking for a long time as a mood stabilizer.  unfortunately it's an antipsychotic which can cause involuntary movement (tardive dyskinesia) so that's why we decided to start with that one.  i hope i'll be able to go down on zoloft next (taking 300 freakin' mg) so we'll see.

have any of you been able to go down on meds without bad emotional reactions?  would love to hear about your experiences!  (((((((((hugs)))))))

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

UtopianDream
on 3/18/12 6:32 am - St. Ignace, MI
RNY on 01/03/12
Yes dramatically! 
Pre-surgery, for my Bipolar Disorder I was on 200mg Trazodone, 300mg Wellbutrin, 200mg Lamictal, and 200mg Nortriptyline (very high dose). 
Now I am on 150mg Wellbutrin, 200mh Lamictal (same), and 50mg Trazodone only as needed (for sleep).  Plus my depressions since surgery have gone from nearly every day to only two days a month!
I also no longer take Prilosec twice daily for acid reflux - I rarely get acidic and when I do 1 tums works. 
However, I now take more vitamins (multi, iron+c, vitamin d) and have chewable gas-x on hand for painful bloating.  But these are actually welcome additions in exchange for the past high levels of psych meds that didn't help much most days.