Mental Health

Groups » Mental Health » Discussion » Abilify and Childre...

Abilify and Children

severman
on 8/4/11 7:01 am - Indianapolis, IN
I took my son to Riley Hospital for Children's Psychiatry Department today.  My son is almost 13 and is on the autism spectrum with a diagnosis of PDD/NOS, ADD, Sensory Integration Dysfunction.  He has been on several different medicines such as Prozac, Zoloft, Intuniv, Vyvanse, Klonopin, Trazadone, Concerta, and Straterra.  He suffers with anxiety, ADD, and impulse control.  The hospital is a teaching hospital.  They told me about a study they are doing with Abilify and children.  It is a blind study and lasts appoximately eight weeks.  I would not know if he is getting the actual drug or the placebo.  I am curious if anyone has heard about or knows any children taking Abilify.  They said that if he gets worse during the eight weeks that we could stop the study and they would check to see if he had the placebo or if he was getting the real medication.  My main concern is that he might get worse during the eight weeks and a possible side effect of the medication is weight gain.  He is about 5'6" tall and already weighs 190 pounds.  He is bullied at school because of his size, weight, and learning difficulties.  

I take Abilify and have had great luck with it.  It helped stabilize my moods almost immediately.

Any imput or comments would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Stephanie E