Mental Health

Groups » Mental Health » Discussion » Going back to schoo...

Going back to school and overwhelmed!

severman
on 7/7/11 12:49 pm - Indianapolis, IN
 I've been trying to go back to school for awhile now.  I am finally healthy enough physically and just worried about me mentally.  I am taking a full class load.  I am taking a couple of refresher courses.  I have a habit of starting the semester on a good note and then halfway through slack off leading to me having to drop the class. I don't want to do that anymore.  Anyone have any strategies for me?

Stephanie

~Janis ~
on 7/12/11 3:27 am
Hi Stephanie,

It is a few days after you posted but I wanted to respond.  Don't spread yourself too thin.  My suggestion would be to start out with just one or two courses.   It will be easier to focus on just a few classes and you can do great in them.  That way you will have a positive experience and that will give you the confidence to expand to full time.

Other than that, as hard as it is to do, you should try your best to do your assignments and reading as they are assigned and not wait until test time.  Last minute cramming will only add to your stress.  You don't mention your family or other commitments but make sure you put yourself first.  Set aside quiet time for studying and don't let others interrupt. 

Best wishes, Janis