Mental Health

Failure

Fatmamma
on 6/2/11 3:39 pm - Austin, TX
It has been 8 yrs and I am very disapointed that I have failed. Not my tool that failed was my mind. I just am at a loss.
Wild One    
anninva
on 6/3/11 9:30 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))

you know more than i do since you've been at it longer.  i know it gets harder the further out you get so i can only imagine how hard a time you must be having.  do you have the energy to start again right now?  you know, food records, protein grams, carbs, etc.?  i know i'm struggling and i'm only 5 mos out, so . . .

you are not a failure. you're a person and life's just gotten out of control.  i think we can always start again from where we are.  maybe even something like going to WW would be a jumpstart??

sending big hugs your way!!

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

boxermom
on 6/3/11 10:07 pm - MI
When you said 'my mind that failed', what did you mean?  Are you dealing with mental illness? Or just not able to get in the mind set of the rules of wls?

just curious, because I dont know how to respond....

bm
Thoughts become things... choose the good ones!

Boxermom
290/190/160  TT done
sw/cw/gw 

Charity W.
on 6/6/11 5:33 pm - Lawton, OK
 I think I can totally relate. I do have mental issues. I have bi-polar, depression, anxiety, ADD, and insomnia. I am a little over 7 months out and have lots 100lbs which is awesome but I have been at a stall for 2 months because of my mind. The depression is winning and I am eating everything and anything. I am ruining my pouch, my chance and I am scared. I don't know what to do. I have heard start again. Follow this program. Get rid of the food in the house. BUT I will just go out and get what I want when I am in one of my moods. I will eat something even though I know it will make me dump or hurt me. I am letting my mind control me. HOW in the world do you fight it. The medication isn't helping. The motivation isn't there. Like you, it is not my tool that has failed but my mind that has failed me.

boxermom
on 6/7/11 9:29 pm - MI
On June 7, 2011 at 12:33 AM Pacific Time, Charity W. wrote:
 I think I can totally relate. I do have mental issues. I have bi-polar, depression, anxiety, ADD, and insomnia. I am a little over 7 months out and have lots 100lbs which is awesome but I have been at a stall for 2 months because of my mind. The depression is winning and I am eating everything and anything. I am ruining my pouch, my chance and I am scared. I don't know what to do. I have heard start again. Follow this program. Get rid of the food in the house. BUT I will just go out and get what I want when I am in one of my moods. I will eat something even though I know it will make me dump or hurt me. I am letting my mind control me. HOW in the world do you fight it. The medication isn't helping. The motivation isn't there. Like you, it is not my tool that has failed but my mind that has failed me.
Charity,
I know what you mean about the meds and mindset affecting your weight loss. 
I gained 30 lbs in 6wks on Luvox.  30 lbs I thought were gone forever.  My Dr. even put me on "Adipex" health.yahoo.net/goldcontent/phentermine to counter the effects of my meds.  Unfortunately, this exacerbates my anxiety disorder.  I found this article about ssri's which I am sure we all know by now: 

"What causes Luvox weight gain? Why do you gain weight taking Luvox?"

According to the studies, Luvox weight gain usually happens after you most likely experienced an initial weight loss. You may have enjoyed this initial weight loss but then all of a sudden, you started gaining weight. Why?

Luvox is a Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI). There are currently five SSRIs available in the United States: Prozac (fluoxetine), Zoloft (sertraline), Paxil (paroxetine), Luvox (fluvoxamine), and Celexa (citalopram).

These SSRIs increase serotonin in your brain and serotonin makes you feel satisfied or sometimes overfed. This may sound like a good thing. But, long term Luvox starts to cause weight gain.

"How does Luvox weight gain happen if it first caused weight loss?"

Unfortunately your brain starts to adapt. Your brain begins to grow less ‘serotonin recepters’ if it is exposed to an SSRI. Since you have to have a certain number of these receptors occupied to feel full, and you have fewer of them, you now need to have even higher levels of serotonin in your brain.

"What does that mean?"

Simply, you eat more, and usually crave carbohydrates which you eat to pump in tryptophan to make serotonin. When you eat more, you gain weight, and it is an ongoing process since your brain will always adapt this way when you take Luvox or any SSRI.  "So, what do you do to prevent Luvox weight gain?"

Well, when I read the medical journals, they tell me that antidepressants are a means to an end. The best antidepressant by far has been proven to be exercise and proper nutrition along with therapy.

If anyone has any suggestions to help us with this issue, please please post.  My problem is not exercise or protein intake, its 3am grazing...   bm

Thoughts become things... choose the good ones!

Boxermom
290/190/160  TT done
sw/cw/gw 

sublimate
on 6/8/11 8:47 am - San Jose, CA
Changing our behaviors is the hardest thing! Have you considered getting your pouch made a bit smaller?

I heard that you can do that for a pouch that is stretched and you can get it tightened up so you have more restriction again. I know that doesn't fix the head part but sometimes you need help physically to get a handle on the mental stuff.

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

Charity W.
on 6/8/11 11:11 am - Lawton, OK
 unfortunately i dont have the option. my insurance changed and they don't cover anything that has to do with gastric bypass now. :(

severman
on 6/14/11 10:01 am - Indianapolis, IN
 I am also 8 years post op and had regained 90 pounds due to steroids.  I have been able to lose all but 25 of those pounds.  I have been using a food journal and exercising.  I suggest finding an accountability partner.  My neighbor is mine and she keeps me on track when I seem to get down.  Make sure you are getting your annual labs drawn.  Certain deficiencies can make it harder to lose or even maintain your weight loss.  I suffer from depression and my anemia I think is even making it worse.  Since I started my iron infusions I am feeling both emotionally and physically better.  If I can help in anyway let me know!

Stephanie E