Mental Health

Groups » Mental Health » Discussion » why are YOU here?!?...

why are YOU here?!?!?!?

anninva
on 4/11/11 7:44 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
Hi all,

so, i started this group as a place for people to feel safe discussing mental health issues because i know i have them, worry that they'll get in the way of my wls success and figured other people would too.  strength in numbers, right???

i'm interested in why people have joined and what you'd like to see here?  i'm wide open to ideas.  let us know a little bit about you -- i know this is a supportive group -- i can feel it in my bones!!

Peace,

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Charity W.
on 4/24/11 12:55 pm - Lawton, OK
 I am here because I keep sabotaging my WLS with these mental issues and sometimes just need someone that understands to listen to me vent and maybe offer idea's that may have worked for them. Maybe more but I am not sure what else right now.

I have bipolar, depression, ADD, anxiety, insomnia, and just an all around mess. Currently waiting to see if disability will come thru. If not...not sure how I am going to keep a job with all this mess and side effects of the meds.

boxermom
on 4/25/11 7:58 pm - MI
Hi Ann,

Well, I was really hoping that you would get daily posts on this group!  I came here for support and advice from those who can relate.  I am wondering if we could do a daily Rant or Rave post.  Or a 'what is happening in your life this week' post.  I think its like therapy to talk about whats going on in our lives.  plus this forum is FREE not $100/hr.....  It can be like group therapy with a virtual mediator.  I know it may be too much to ask, but can we give it a try?  I do think you should do an 'across the board' post announcing this group again.  I think that getting the word out there that we are here will help people who may be embarressed or scared to come forward.

I think that also those on who've been on meds post-op can help us who tend to gain weight on meds and anti depressants.  Sometimes you can convince your psych not to put you on the ones that increase appetite, and sometimes its best you stay on them.  Maybe the members can give advice on how to control the cravings and grazing and weight gain.  and i noticed not many drugs make you lose weight,,,,,,stupid pharmacutical companies anyway.......sorry, thats my Rant this week.

Sorry about the lengthy post!

bm
Thoughts become things... choose the good ones!

Boxermom
290/190/160  TT done
sw/cw/gw 

anninva
on 4/26/11 4:51 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
Hi Boxermom! I was hoping for daily posts as well -- and being a moderator for the first time, i'm not sure how to get that done! i wonder if i can email all the members??? there are 24 at this point, so we're doing something right.

i totally understand the complications from crappy mental health AND the weight gain from drugs and stuff. One anti-d i was on, Remeron, put weight on like there was no tomorrow and i actually went in and told my pdoc i wouldn't take it. that hasn't happened very often!!!!

so, start a rant and i will join it. i will also try to find the email with the good link that someone made me for the forum!

take care and keep posting. i'm sorry it took me so long to see this -- will be checking more often! for some reason the OH notification ended up in my SPAM folder. Jeez. (((hugs)))Ann

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

skinnymeforever
on 4/26/11 7:41 am - AZ
I'm here and glad to see this group. I could really use some support.  I was sleeved on March 8th and have been pretty miserble since then.  I was in a lot of pain everytime I drank anything or ate anything but I couldn't get anyone from the surgeon's office to hear me.  Finally, since the drinking caused such pain, I dehydrated and landed in ER. After blood tests they found that my potassium was dangerously low. So, I was admitted. I had a CAT Scan which showed no leaks but then I had an endoscopy which showed that I have ulcers.  So, now I'm on meds for potassium and ulcers (which are extremely hard to swallow).  It still hurts to drink or eat but I'm just pushing through it.  My energy levels are very low and I am truly regretting this decision still. Will it ever be right? Will I ever have my old life back? I'm scared to death of dehydrating again. I have to do labs again this Friday to see if my potassium is up. If it isn't, then what?  I kinda feel llike I'm just laying around waiting to die. I know I need to find a psych dr to put me on anti-depressant. I don't what to take more pills.

Sorry - so heavy with doubt and sadness. I just need someone to talk to.
peggyann5
on 4/28/11 6:18 am
Hi skinneymeforever, I hope and pray some of your sadness is getting better. This depression scares me, I am on well-butrin for depression and xanax for Anxiety attacks when needed, I feel like my surgery will be sometime in june and I was all excited and now I am scared to death, I will be getting the realize band if I don't back out. We will just wait and see, but I do hope things get better fo you.

naph_jam
on 4/26/11 8:33 am - Murfreesboro, TN
I'm really happy to have found this group.  I recently started seeing a mental health counselor, but I have not clicked with her and am thinking about trying to switch.  My mental health issues center around depression and anxiety. 

Carla M.
on 4/26/11 11:07 am
I'm here because I just happened to see it!

I've been diagnosed as a bipolar for 17 yrs. I have PTSD, anxiety disorder, etc. I've been through the gammet of drug and alcohol addiction, cutting, suicide attempts, etc.

I've been stable and on GREAT meds for about 10 yrs now, so I just thought that this would be a great place for support or a place to vent about daily feelings.

I had RNY on 2/21/11 and had some depression with that. Yep, depressed that I was losing fat! Who knew?!?! Other than that, I'm doing really well after this surgery.

I always get jealous of those that can take anti-depressants. They make me manic, so I'm stuck with anti-psychotics and mood stabilizers. Boo! I've had LOTS of different meds that I'm allergic to or give me weird reactions. Lamictal made me angry and curse everyone out. I believe that was the one I even told my coworkers that I was on strike because they were lazy a%% well, you know the rest. Crazy thing...I don't cuss EVER on a normal basis.

I feel for those on sleeping meds that don't work well. I have yet to find a really good one. Well, scratch that, a good one that I'm not allergic to.

Now that I've said WAY too much about me. Can't wait to see how this group evolves!

Carla
J J.
on 4/26/11 2:14 pm - Longmont, CO
Hi everyone,
The main reason I joined this group is because I believe weight loss is as much - if not more - mental than physical. From emotional eating to being afraid of the changes that are happening in our lives as a result of weight loss - our minds need to change along with our bodies, and that can be so difficult. I attend monthly support sessions offered through my surgeon's office which I really enjoy, but once a month doesn't seem enough considering all the changes and struggles associated with them. I'm looking forward to "talking" with everyone!