Christian Support Group

Groups » Christian Support Gr... » Discussion » Is it ok as a Chris...

Is it ok as a Christian to have WLS???

Lauren M.
on 6/8/09 4:10 am
Hi guys, I've searched this website for like 2 days and I just found this group. I 've been looking for a Christian group on this site.  I am scheduled for lapRNY on June 19th and I am a little nervous. I want to do it 100% but I am a little hesitant because I am a Christian. Sometimes I am convicted by the fact that because I have Christ I should be able to do this on my own through willpower and self control. My Christian friends are very supportive because that's who they are but I know they don't want me to have the surgery. I guess I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and has thought about it.
Any comments either way are more than welcome.
Thanks
God Bless,
Lauren

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13

Joie
on 6/14/09 8:54 pm - Shingle Springs, CA
Hi Lauren,
Sometimes we need to go directly to God for those answers because ... what other people say or think really doesn't matter, it is something you have to discover. But ...

I think it certainly is a question that we have all asked as well. If I only had enough faith. We all know if our faith was strong enough, we could move a mountain, and I don't know anyone that has moved a mountain without the help of dynomite! We have to move our mountains, one small stone at a time.

With this question, let me ask a few questions. If you had a friend that is a drug addict, or an alcoholic, shouldn't they also have faith strong enough to kick their habits without needing to check themselves into a treatment center? Society reconizes their issues as being an illness that need to be treated as an illness. Obesity has many causes, causes that have often been ignored by society and the medical industry, but it is changing. There is a disorder going on somewhere. Obesity generally is not obtained simply because one has the love of food. There are many potential causes, emotional disorders, physical disorders, chemical, hormonal imbalances, etc. all which is are very legidimate medical conditions.

We are blessed in all things that can bring glory to His name. When I struggled with these questions, I felt comforted by Him, as He helped me understand that I am His, and He understands, and offered me a new direction in my life.  I think the most important thing, is how you use this gift of new beginnings, how will you serve Him?

God Bless,
Joie

Lauren M.
on 6/15/09 12:32 pm
Hey thanks! That is very helpful. I appreciate your taking the time to respond.
Lauren

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13

Alicia W.
on 6/17/09 9:45 pm - Ephrata, WA
Yes.  God wants us to be happy and healthy.  He will guide and comfort you.  I do not regret my surgry (I'm 5 yrs out).  Having my WLS makes me want to help others I see who are where I was,  Pray about it.  Let the Holy Spirit speak to you.  I think you'll find that once you pray about this and open your heart to God's guidence,  you will feel peace. 
marylaw
on 6/17/09 10:20 pm - Winfield, KS
Hi, Lauren.
I understand your struggle, and while you must find peace about having WLS on your own, between you and God, allow me to speak of my own experience.
My highest weight was 400 lbs. As a Christian, I was loved by others for myself, not my weight. However, my ability to serve the Lord in any active way was pretty much zero. My health was suffering in so many ways, and while I tried over and over to lose weight, nothing seemed to help...at least for very long.
I sought the Lord's help, and He took me on a wonderful journey, through His Word daily, for over a month. He and I addressed deep issues, of a personal nature. I wrote it down in my journal, and I've since posted here on OH. It was my first devotional series. It is the series I repeat each Friday, called Flashback Friday Devotion. The rest of the week days, I post the Life Plan Devotion. The Relational Devotional was in between those two devotional series. All 3 devotional series can be easily found on my profile blog or on the Christianity Forum (see link in my signature line).
After my adventure with the Lord, I just KNEW I was going to lose all my weight! While I did lose some, it was slow and it wasn't enough to make much of a difference in my body condition. Also, I am a firm believer in healing, so I believed God would heal me. However, my physical condition just kept worsening. I was perplexed, and, eventually, felt it must be my time to go Home. I resigned myself to the fact that I was not long for this world.
One day, a year ago this week, actually, I could not even bend down to take a load of laundry out of the dryer, and God said to me, very strongly, "Go to the hospital!" I called my husband, and we went to the hospital emergency room.
I was carrying over 40 lbs. of fluid retention, my blood pressure was stroke level (and stayed that way), and I had cellulitis all over both my legs. The diagnosis was congestive heart failure.
I was admitted, and a heart dopplar was scheduled for the next morning. I stayed up all night, not because I was afraid but just because I could not sleep. I read and prayed through the entire Book of Psalms (all 150 chapters). :)  Alone in my private hospital room, I had an amazing night with the King! The next day, my test showed merely a slightly enlarged heart, and, as my doctor said, "Everyone knows you have a 'big heart!'" :)  I know God healed me, in the night.
During one of my prayer sessions with the Lord, during that same night that I read and prayed through the Book of Psalms, I told the Lord that if He opened the door to weight-loss surgery, I'd walk through it. He opened the door, and I walked through it.
Let me tell you how I know God opened the door to surgery. I had no insurance, and while I did not ask, someone contacted the elders of our church, to ask if the Emergency Relief Fund we have could be opened to accept donations for my surgery. They approved that, although those who donated had to understand that it could not be guaranteed (for tax-exempt status reasons) that I, personally, would receive their donation.
My surgery cost $9,995, and my church (about 250 people, total, including children) raised nearly half that amount for me. Can you imagine?! I was and still am moved to tears, when I think of it.
Having VSG surgery was the best (and most courageous) decision of my life. Including pre-op weight loss, I've lost 125 lbs. from my highest weight, and 98 of those lbs. I lost since my first appointment with Dr. Walton (my surgeon from Edmond, OK). My metabolism, which had been dormant for so many years, despite my best efforts, has truly been anointed by God, so much so that when I had 2 tests, coordinated by the exercise physiologist at Weight Wise in Oklahoma, I was told that my metabolic rate was the best she's seen, especially in someone my age.
I asked for the Lord to open to WLS if it was His will, and, clearly, it was. I walked through it, and I am no longer dying. I am living a more active and, more importantly, effective life for the Kingdom. I'll be forever grateful, and I give God all the glory, honor, and praise. I still have 120 lbs. more to lose, but I know that with the Lord's help, they will GO!
My prayers go with you, as you prepare and have weight-loss surgery. :)
Just Call Me "Lazarus,"
Mary :)
"Don't tell God how big your storm is; tell your storm how BIG your God is!"

ObesityHelp Support Group Leader and Support Group Coach
ksmidnite
on 6/18/09 8:27 pm, edited 6/18/09 8:33 pm - centereach, NY
Mary, God never ceased to amaze me and you sure are a testiment to that. What a testimony you have. What a vessel you are for Him. You are blessed and you do have a huge heart and we who know you from this website thank God for you. Please know that we praise God for making you like you are so we may be blessed. God is using you in ways you can not even imagine. You are doing His work and you are so blessed to be able to do that and do it well. Thank you for being obediant.

In Christ
Karyn

ksmidnite
on 6/18/09 8:31 pm, edited 6/18/09 8:33 pm - centereach, NY
Lauren, I know that I can say this for many people on this forum, we all prayed for the answer from God. I thought the same way you did. I always thought that if I was strong enough in Christ that I would be able to do this on my own. He then showed me a different way. I was blessed to find a Christian surgeon who not only was a wonderful surgeon but what a wonderful man of God. He prayed for me, with me and about me. He has a woman from my church who I respect so much, she is such a strong woman of God, working for him and she was my confirmation. She also prayed with me for me and about me. It is a decision that I did not take lightly but once I went to the Lord with it the rest seamed to be easy. Go to God in prayer and he will give you the right answers. God bless you and keep you. We are praying for you.

In Christ
Karyn

Chris B.
on 7/4/09 10:37 am
Hi Lauren,

I had similar questions about my banding (6/29/2009)...  Like many I take the approach that if something that I'm pursuing is God's will, then the path will be laid clear before me.  I know in the past when I've been acting on my own power--- potholes and roadblocks are obvious.  When I have chosen to recognize them and changed course, I've later recognized God's plan.  When I haven't been obedient.... well, let's just say that it has been very clear that my plan is never is good as our Lord's.

For my surgery I have to tell you-- my path was so clear-- that even when I was looking for obstacles, I couldn't find them.  My insurance was approved the first time, within 48 hours of the request.  I was able to lose a few pounds before surgery, and really dreaded the clear liquid/liquid diet stage.  Granted, I'm only a week into this, but so far I've not had any problems and I'm down a total of 23 lbs (12 since surgery).   In fact, the hiatal hernia that the doctor found in my pre-op endoscopy, which he said was "significant and needs to be repaired,"  was non-existent on the day of surgery. 

I'm on our worship team at church.  I sing for two services each Sunday, and after that I'm completely shot for the day.  Before surgery, during service I perspired heavily and caused me so much anxiety that it was so hard to maintain the spirit of worship.  I don't think that's going to be a problem much longer!

Well, all this to say... God loves us all for all of our faults and failings.  We're no different than any other sinner-- broken to the core.  His Grace, for me, includes the gift of these medical resources (and insurance) to restore our physical bodies to better serve Him in this world.

Be encouraged...

Blessings,
Chris
 Red Butterfly Chris

Sox_Man
on 5/7/10 4:33 pm
Hi Lauren
I too am new to this group, but my thought is yes if the Lord is truly leading you to get WLS by all means do it.  I agree with another persons post who said.  what people say does not really matter in the long run.  But it never hurts to seek out support from other Christians.  As Christians we are also suppose to be supportive of one another.  If you feel that the surgery will help you loose the weight then do so.  You need only to go with what you feel is right for you.  You need to work out in yourself  before the date anything that you feel would prevent you from being totally comfortable with it before the date.   
             Jesus is The Answer!
     "Even a long, dangerous journey can be faced confidently when God is leading the expidition."--unknown                  

mary A.
on 10/23/10 1:52 am - new lisbon, WI
Wow!! What an answer to prayer to have found this board. Thank you so much for your openess and honesty in your posting. You all have already blessed my heart and I believe that the Lord has placed me here.
My name is Mary and I am a Pastor's wife. As a Pastor's wife people look to you for alot of things, including your health. My husband and I have been praying about WLS to help in this area. Right now my health is a very big issue in doing all I want and all I can for the Lord. We feel that WLS has been an answer to prayer. I truly believe that if the Lord makes a way for you to be strong and healthy you should take it. As one has already said if you had any other illness would you not seek out medical help for it?  God gave us Doctors to be a help and a blessing to us. Our God is a good God and a good God will always do what is right. I am looking forward to my WLS. But more then that I am looking forward to serving my Lord better with a healthier and stronger body.
God Bless!
Mary