Losers for Lent

Recent Posts

(deactivated member)
on 2/17/10 3:38 am - Middle River, MD
Topic: RE: The New Beginning (with your help)
I'm giving up men!!!!  LOL!!!

Like Lisa, my biggest problem, both pre-op and now, is sweets.  OMG!!!  Their siren call is just TOO enticing.

So..........because I'm a creative cook (yes, B, I know I haven't sent you anything), I'm going to experiment with some recipes that are both s/f and high in protein.  Tonight's experiment is called, "Breakfast Cheesecake Cups," which I got from a Splenda cookbook.  I'll rate it and let you know!!

I keep telling Mr. Incredible to NOT open that carb door.  Once it's opened, it never quite closes again the same way.  Take it from me, I know of what I speak!!!

My ULTIMATE goal, in addition to getting rid of this hold that sweets have on me, is to lose 10 pounds by Easter.  I've done it before, so I know I can do it again.

Tia
justthebeginning
on 2/17/10 1:22 am - Cambridge, MD

I've been thinking about this for weeks.  Over the past few months ~ I have fallen back into old bad habits that made me and have kept me fat for all of my life.  Food has been there for me always ~ to celebrate every joyous event in my life and to medicate the events that I would care not to recall. 

I need to make a change back to the way things should be with RNY.  My biggest problem is sweets.  I love them!  I shouldn't have them.  I can't have them.  I am addicted to them.  I have decided to give up all sweets for this period. 

I so love the way that they taste and while I usually don't get terribly sick when I eat them, I do feel lousy.  What makes it worse is that I have never been at goal since my surgery.  I will be 2 years out in May and I want to be there.  I realize that I can't be, unless I can make and stick to this commitment.  So, here I am. 

I am committed to making this change for the next 6 weeks (and hopefully longer).  I appreciate everyone here who has made this commitment!  I will try to be supportive and hope that you will be as well!

Lisa Z.

When we believe, all things are possible!

Karen M.
on 2/17/10 12:05 am - Mississauga, Canada
Karen M.
on 2/17/10 12:05 am - Mississauga, Canada
Topic: RE: What I'm giving up...
I dunno!  LOL

And I'm LOL'ing at "gave me the scoots".  Too funny.  I'm afraid to try those, guess I was justified in my fear!

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Karen M.
on 2/17/10 12:04 am - Mississauga, Canada
Great idea, Cheryl.  It can really help you to avoid starting to add things before you should.  The OH board REALLY helped me do that, epsecially with sugar. Glad you joined :)

Karen

Karen M.
on 2/16/10 11:57 pm - Mississauga, Canada
A very good question.  How ARE we going to do it?

I am drawing on past strength, personally. I gave up sugar for 4 years, I can certainly give up some greasy junk food for 40 days.  Or at least this is my initial approach. lol

Am going to get a small veggie tray for dipping and use that if I need "a fix".

Karen :)

Karen

Mr. Incredible
on 2/16/10 10:54 pm, edited 2/17/10 1:07 am - Canada
Topic: The New Beginning (with your help)
Karen started a good thread- on what she is giving up for 40 days.   That's a great place to start- What are you giving up?  What are you hoping to accomplish over the next forty days?

Personally- I�was out to dinner on the weekend, and part of the cost of the meal was dessert- and umm.. yup- I�was able to eat about 3/4 of a slice of cheesecake - with NO dumping!!� That scares me..lol.� I�mean- if I�can do that- what's next?� I�really don't want to find out what else I�can�eat that I�shouldn't.� Although I'm not�the way I�was before surgery when it comes to carbs- I�find myself cheating a little- a piece�of rye toast with my eggs.  I know once you start�down the�path on both these�issues- it's hard to get back on track.� The reality is I�am an addict!�

When we talk about addiction, it's important that we awknowledge that almost, if not all of us are addicts in one way or another.� We are addicted to food.� Unlike alcoholics we can't just give up food, so it creates a interesting challenge for us.� Not only is there the actual chemical addiction we deal with - with carbs, caffeine, sugar- it's also (and my biggest problem)�a mental addiction.� Any therapist will tell you that psychological addiction can sometimes be the hardest to overcome.�� So, how do we do this?� Any ideas?� Well, we do it (stealing it from our friends at AA) One day at a time.

Let's take a minute or two to think how we are going to do it- seriously, I�am open to ideas.....
PATS- September 30th 2009
Surgery- October 14th, 2009
orignall goal-200lbs new goal 185'
August 2011-  182- umm.. now what?
The past is the past and can never be changed, but the future is what ever you want it to be.

balou
on 2/16/10 5:44 pm - toronto, Canada

for lent i'll give up all junk food, i've been over doing them a bit so this will give me a good insentive to do it

missingmanny
on 2/16/10 9:30 am - Canada
My name is Marion and I'm addicted to unhealthy carbos....At least I was, until after surgery...the closest I've come to bread since October was a quarter of a slice of burnt rye bread...It was yummy, but none since....I've been having my no sugar, no salt pb on ryvita, or melba...
Haven't done sweets, other than sf popsicles, and tried a russel stover pecan thingy which gave me the scoots....
So I'm glad of this group to get ideas and learn more about how others manage....Thanks Mr. I....and K...hey!  group administrator...how'd ya get that promotion????

HW 268  SW 261  CW 166GW 170 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com    

Cheryl D.
on 2/16/10 6:18 am - Toronto, Canada
I'm SO in.  I have/had a carb addition and so far I've been ok with it since surgery just over 2 months ago. I haven't eaten sugar or simple carbs yet, ie:  no bread, pasta, rice etc.  and want to keep it that way as long as I possibly can.  So yeah, I'm in.   I am used to giving up something during Lent anyway so this comes at the right time for me personally.  Thanks for starting this group.

Cheryl

Mr.Incredible
Group Leader

KBS-TIA
Group Administrator