Losers for Lent

Recent Posts

(deactivated member)
on 2/19/10 8:41 pm - Middle River, MD
Topic: HAPPY SATURDAY! CARBS & EATING OUT
Okay, so we're now well into what, for me, is the hard part of the week - the WEEKEND!!!  Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see a day where I don't have to get up at 5:15, but as far as my eating routine, it's a challenge. 

Last night, I went out with my new guy and some friends to the VFW - yeah, lots of carb laden, artery clogging food.  HOWEVER, this post also has a raw/steam bar.  And NORMALLY, that's what I get.  I said NORMALLY.  Last night, as soon as the waitress said they had steakfish, all bets were off!!!  LOL!!!  So, here's my eating summary for yesterday:

B - Protein coffee
      Greek yogurt with blueberries/granola

S - 2 hardboiled eggs

L - Chicken salad
      6 Triscuits

D - FRIED Steakfish
      Tossed salad
       Baked potato w/butter and miniscule sour cream

S - 4 Corona's - Hey! Beer is made with whole grains, no?  And I had lime in it!!!  See?  Fruit!!

So......not bad until dinner.  And trust me, even though I go out a lot, I don't normally eat fried foods, but steakfish - well, there's no other way, for me!!!  How could I have improved it?  Obviously, had the fish broiled.  And the potato - granted, it's a natural carb, but I didn't need it.  It was just there, on my plate.  It was a small potato, but still!!  And the beer?  Okay, well, every night driving home's been a challenge, and....they were $1.75.....and I was with a new guy, so a little nervous about him meeting my friends.....and.....okay, enough justification!  I'm going to do better today.

I'm having lunch out at a renowned seafood restaurant, so I'll have a crabcake and a tossed salad.  And that's IT.  The crabcakes are the size of Frisbees, so there may be something to bring home!  I don't care what type of restaurant, MOST restaurants will accommodate healthy eaters.

Obviously, it's clear what we need to do.  For me, it's all about self-preservation - ask the waitress to NOT bring the bread basket.  Eat your protein first so you're full.  Then, move onto your salad.  If your surgery did what it was supposed to, at this point, you should feel full.  Full, not stuffed.  Say no to dessert.  If you MUST indulge, many restaurants now offer s/f Jello, fruit and yes, even some s/f cakes and pies.  It doesn't hurt to ask.  Watch the alcohol, too - big time empty carbs.

It's not as easy when you're not in control.  I'm going to a spa party tonight - kind of like a Tupperware party for your body.  The hostess has had wls, so HOPEFULLY, there will be something I can eat.  If not, as with any party, most people build their party food around the cheese tray and the veggie tray.  Stick with those.  Yeah, "Tia's Toffee Trifle" might LOOK heavenly, but do you REALLY want to sabotage yourself and potentially spend an hour or two in full-blown dump mode?  Again, what it really boils down to is choices - and YOU (and your tool) are in control.  You were given control when you had wls - exert that control for a healthier, happier you!

Weekend living isn't easy, but it can be done.  And remember, it's often about the company - that's what truly makes the weekends fun!

Have a great Saturday!

Hugs,

Tia
(deactivated member)
on 2/19/10 8:27 pm - Middle River, MD
Topic: RE: Here for you!
Thanks, Suzi!!!

I'm NOT giving up whole grains - the body needs fuel - and it's best found in the form of complex carbs.  That being said, however, I honestly don't do much bread - unless it's well toasted, my pouch doesn't like bread, rice, pasta, etc.  It does, sadly, LOVE, and is able to well tolerate, sweets!!!!!  UGH!!!!

Good luck to you, too, and thanks for posting!

Hugs,

Tia
Cheryl D.
on 2/19/10 8:23 am - Toronto, Canada
Topic: RE: Carbs
I'd say yes there ARE good carbs.  The reason I say this is that you need carbs just to live.  Your brain needs carbs to function.  If you totally cut out ALL carbs you would eventually die.  So yeah, carbs are a good thing.  The problem is SIMPLE carbs and eating  lots and lots of them. Carbs turn into sugar in our blood and if we injest more carbs than we can use up in energy then this sugar is stored as fat.   Simple carbs act  very FAST and flood our bloodstream with an overload of sugar, which sets us up for serious problems.

It's that rapid flood of sugar in our blood that makes us crave more and more carbs and causes havoc in a diabetic.  The complex carbs enter the blood much slowler, mostly because they are attached to fibre which slows the digestion down and we are not overrun with that fast sugar rush.  So yes, some carbs are good, some are healthy and we need them to live.  Some carbs are just stupid dangerous and should be avoided like the plague.  Feeding simple carbs to children is a form of child abuse if you ask me.   

Being diabetic for the past 3 years has taught me a lot about carbs and why I will do everything I can to not become addicted to the simple ones again.   That's why I'm here, with others who have the same goal.
SuziJones
on 2/19/10 6:57 am
Topic: RE: Getting off carbs - try this instead - breakfast bread...
I am soo making this!! Already added it to my recipe file!! Thankyou for sharing!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them.  ~Michael Jordan 
My Goals:
1) 200lbs ACCOMPLISHED
3) 170lbs
4) Run 5K
"Unneeded food is not any less wasted in a body that doesnt need it, than it is in the trash." ~Brandilynn
 "Those that will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants." ~William Penn

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
onerland-2.jpg My Onerland!! picture by minnlay
SuziJones
on 2/19/10 6:54 am
Topic: Here for you!
since I'm still on my liquid diet phase and not able to 'eat' for some time I'm probably jumping the gun.

But I resolved before surgery and implimented in my eating to eat only whole wheat and other whole grains. So you guys are thinking like me!!

Great job to you guys so far!

Have any of you come up with some good whole grain bread recipes? Or are you giving up wheat and grains completely?

I have forgone the processed white sugar some time ago and have really enjoyed using honey for a natural sweetner.

Can't wait to see how everyone does and best of luck!!!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them.  ~Michael Jordan 
My Goals:
1) 200lbs ACCOMPLISHED
3) 170lbs
4) Run 5K
"Unneeded food is not any less wasted in a body that doesnt need it, than it is in the trash." ~Brandilynn
 "Those that will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants." ~William Penn

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
onerland-2.jpg My Onerland!! picture by minnlay
Melva
on 2/19/10 6:22 am - Gilbert, AZ
Thanx Brian,

First for the quick response, 2nd for the good advice. Ok Im with you so will I  100% gone. I do feel great but you know how that is one taste of sugar the body goes crazy and I crave for more and more. So from today ite will be All or None, and i am going for the none...

Melva
Mr. Incredible
on 2/19/10 5:47 am - Canada
Hi Melva- Welcome to the group!!

You ask a couple of good questions- and I am sure some others will offer their opinions.  Let me begin by saying- I agree with you- 5lbs is 5 lbs.. lol- you can call it want you want- but it's still 5lbs!

I am glad to hear you have cut back on the carbs and no more hunger pains or headaches.  A lot of our problem is the psychological addiction with food- I KNOW that is my biggest demon.  I try not to look at it as 40/60/80 days- but rather as today.  Tomorrow- is tomorrow.  When I wake up tomorrow morning- then it's just another day.

I don't know how realistic it is, and I could be wrong- to say that 'I will cut out 100% of my carbs'.  In doing so- you would be not only cutting out the protein drinks - but also plenty of the vegetables and fruits  we need to survive.  

It sounds like you are doing great- please feel free to jump in and comment on anything you see!

Brian
Melva
on 2/19/10 5:22 am - Gilbert, AZ
Mr Wonderful,

I don't know if there is a good carb. I myself have been prepping myself for the Becks diet solution where you have a mind over matter but you choose the diet you are going to be on. While doing the prep I had decided to go on the Hi Protein Low carb. Been on it for 3 weeks.  Challenges and no weight loss in the beginning, I had my Adkins Bars Good but like you said to carbs and alcohol and whatever else, now my other down fall was nuts any kind of nuts, usually hi protein and low carbs. I finally realized I had to cut out both adkins bars and nuts, went thru the hunger and the headache's now doing well down 5 pounds over the past week I am sure was water but 5 is 5 whatever way you look at it.
Today I feel good minimal hunger all protein along with my protein drinks, which by the way has carbs 3 to 4 gms per serving, when I do 4 a day thats at max 16gms of ? good carbs.

Tell me someting additional I can be doing to keep this up for 40 or 60 days etc;, it seems to be working for me now, I like it, Long term how this is effective VS innefective.

Glad to be here
Melva
(deactivated member)
on 2/19/10 4:43 am - Middle River, MD
Yep, pizza, chocolate and men in red tights!

Mr.Incredible
Group Leader

KBS-TIA
Group Administrator