Losers for Lent

Groups » Losers for Lent » Discussion » Why can't i do this...

Why can't i do this

Allison M.
on 3/4/10 9:03 pm - Pickering , Canada
Hi everyone, can someone please offer advise. I can only seem to go one day with out refined carbs. I am looking for suggestions to help me get past day two.

Please any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks
Allison

MSW will not settle
on 3/4/10 11:29 pm
You can do this.  Some of us have to create a cluster fkcu of it a few times before we get it right.  Refined carbs are not usually my thing for decades now.  Yet somehow post op six months a switch flipped and I want things I haven't eaten in years.  You are not alone here. 

Last night I went out and bought junk food then scarfed it down before midnight since today is fasting for me.  Now how sick is that.  When you screw up, get back on plan immediately.  Stay out of temptation's way.  I had no business carrying my @$$ to the gas station when I knew what would happen.  Would the car have sat sobbing in the gararge if I did not run out for  fill up? 

Get the family into better foods and limit what's in the home. Those evil damned evil Girlscout cookies had to be hidden away from me.  My family is supportive that way.  There are two of us wls folks and I routinely hide or throw out stuff that may tempt the other.

Taste like carbs but its not.  Be creative with protein powder.  I may have three scoops today as I fast.  I "eat" them by making 'cookies' or a light 'muffin' or a 'scone'  with one scoop, a tsp smart balance light, splenda, ff cheese shreds, baking extract, dried herbs, a pinch of salt and or baking powder, unsweetened cocoa powder etc.  A low end plain vanilla like body fortress is adaptable sweet or salt.  Texture depends on batter or dough consistency and the amount/ type of fat used if any. 

I also attend overeaters anonymous meetings.  I swear I don't get a refferal commission but lately many posts reflect what I hear there.  Online meetings occupy me when thinking of food and they are frequent enough to sustain me in between.  A link is in my siggy line.  

Hopefully this gives you some ideas.  YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

MSW   Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass: Eat sensibly & enjoy moderation  

Links:  Are you a compulsive eater?  for help OA meets on-line Keep Coming Back, One Day At a Time  Overeaters Anonymous 

LV'N MY RNY.  WORKING FOR ME BECAUSE I WORK FOR IT. 

debbie13
on 3/5/10 3:06 am - Cossayuna, NY
I am struggling with the same thing. I can get through day one no problem. Day 2? Forget it. I have a terrible time. 

Today is my day one and it is going well (so far, that is). I have a plan laid out for day two. Here it is:

Plan ahead & stay busy. I am working so I will eat only what I bring with me. Of course it will all be low cal, low carbs. I am hoping that I can stay busy enough in between meals that I will not be tempted by the vending machines. After work I am going out for dinner. That will be tough but I think TGIF serves salads, if not I will improvise. The worst part will be when I get home. I am a night time snacker. Hopefully the fresh veggies & sugar free pudding I bought today will help any craving that comes along.

Day three will be the same as day two, except the eating out. If I can get through this weekend without caving in, then I will make out ok.

Normally I would head for a walk or the gym if I am bored or craving something. But at this point I am not using exercise as an outlet for boredom or anything else for that matter. I am too exhausted from work and low iron. All my energy is used just for functioning. 

Good luck! 

"The road to health will have speed bumps, pot holes, stop signs and asshole drivers that cut you off... but with WLS, never doubt that you will get there."

Resolve never to quit, never to give up, no matter what the situation.--- Jack Nicklaus

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/5/10 11:50 pm

Interesting.  I had the same problem in the past - first day - it was OK, but day #2 - the cravings got better of me.  I eventually overcome that. 
I made some "fake" sweet foods, and other not so bad choices to fix the cravings. 
IMO by the day 2 your BS and liver sugar storage are depleted, and if your sugar drops below a certain point - the body freaks out and demands the sugar - simple carbs.

this is what i did:
1. decide why you need to do it - and the duration
2. remove and offending foods from the area you going to be during the most vulnerable time (work, evening)
3. Keep a bottle of water (I use the protein water - and sip all day)
4. if the evenings are difficult - change a routine.  Do not get back home until late.  (go shopping, meet with supportive friends, go for a walk). Then once home - bet busy - drink water, and more water, take a shower or a bath, then - go to bed early - and if needed - take a sleeping pill (benadryl knocks me out every time).
Repeat the routine every day until you are carb detox.
Some of my fake desserts are:
Greek yogurt w/ SF syrup, berries, nuts, flax meal.

FYI _ extra magnesium may help taking care of some of the carbs cravings.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Allison M.
on 3/6/10 1:56 am - Pickering , Canada
Hi Everyone, thank you so much for the advise, starting today i am going to try all of these suggestions and see how i can do.

Thanks again
Allison

Julissita
on 3/6/10 11:02 pm - houston, TX
You know I have wanted tor reply since you posted, but this Iphone doesn't let me type- add text-Its weird. OK so here are my two cents:
Why do you want to do this? For me I have been STUCK since November and I had enough- not one pound dropped and I went through RNY not to be in the 200s anymore, but to be in a regular size zone.

What will it take? It will take ME making the change- is it hard- you bet!!
I am so tempted daily- those Reeses call my name, but not enough to let go.

Let me explain some of the things I have had to change in my life:
I went and got the old Atkins book w good recipes and have made the ice cream so I can "cheat" at night. I make jello w heavy whipping cream, those are my desserts. I also have almonds when I need a crunch and pork rinds. I also started drinking my water w sf Hawaiian punch, different crystal light.

I just weighed myself and am at 200.5, it is killing me!!!! This is right at 10 lbs in 2 weeks. i am SOOOOOO excited, but still not in onderland. This is what drives me!!! Look deep down- why do you want to do this??? YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Mr.Incredible
Group Leader

KBS-TIA
Group Administrator