Losers for Lent

Groups » Losers for Lent » Discussion » Eating on the run, ...

Eating on the run, just so so

MSW will not settle
on 2/23/10 10:20 pm
Aside from two triscut and two scoop tortilla chips, I got caught up in the sf chocolate covered peanuts and the lc protein bars.  Not so bad on their own but I sure don't need them all in the same day. 

It will be a rough few days eating on the run on and off.  I have emergency food but it will be hard to stick with lean meats and protein drinks.  Easy travel stuff like jerky and chicken vienna sausage have more fat and sugar that I care for.  Then of course there are the lc protein bars.  Is too easy to rely on them. 

I've also packed bagged lettuce and other veg and foil packed tuna and salmon.  I will stay away from the straight carbs.     

MSW   Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass: Eat sensibly & enjoy moderation  

Links:  Are you a compulsive eater?  for help OA meets on-line Keep Coming Back, One Day At a Time  Overeaters Anonymous 

LV'N MY RNY.  WORKING FOR ME BECAUSE I WORK FOR IT. 

Mr. Incredible
on 2/23/10 10:38 pm - Canada

Are you away from home for a couple of days?  I find eating when I travel a challenge- but it can be done- just be clear on what you are ordering... and ask them to remove the bread if they give you any...lol.

MSW will not settle
on 2/23/10 11:26 pm
Reataurants are easy.  I've ordered burgers with no bun back when it confused people.  My local Chinese restaurant finally figured out I mean it when I say no rice, lol.  I'm an old school Stillman diet low carber, circa 1970's. 

I'll be 'captive' without refrigeration for long periods.  Amtrak today through Friday.  Then 'sequestered' all day Friday till dinner time.  Fron station right to captivity. 

I must bring non perishable packaging which never meets my usual needs for low carb, low sodium, low fat, high protein.  Something is always out of balance.  Then of course what's available is either fast food, junk food, or better stuff prepped high fat/ carb.  Bringing my own is the best option but way off perfect.  Everything will be eaten room temperature. 

There is the temptation to live on lc protein bars and higher sugar veg like raw snap peas.  Some veg make it easy to travel with, low cal, but I can eat a bag a day.   Not for anyone looking for ketosis.   Jerky, also travels well but again a lot of sugar if it is a meal substitute.  I've also got tuna, bagged salad, wings cooked and frozen. 

I'll at least have no issue with calorie control.  I get to do it all over again Monday, lol. 
Melva
on 3/1/10 11:45 pm - Gilbert, AZ
What are some lo carb bars you eat
Melva

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/23/10 10:54 pm

On the run I use the following:
- low fat string cheese (individually packed  - like frigo head light)
- Ostrim beef sticks - individually wrapped, no sugar, very little fat. - I get mine in Vitamin shoppe
- whey protein crisps - I make a mix of 1;1 the plain and the chocolate - pack 1 scoop in small bags and have them in my purse, the car, etc.  (they are sweet this way but not too sweet and since they are dry - they "stuff" me up) - low cal, high protein, etc.  (I get mine in netrition.com)
- some nuts - but then i try to mix them with the prot crisps - so I get fat, lots of proteins  - and overall a meal size snack.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MSW will not settle
on 2/23/10 11:34 pm
I have some 100 cal pack nuts and I make my own microwave protein cookies.  I must try the beef sticks next time I'm at vitamin shoppe.

My issue is 48 solid hours eating from my purse only.  From tonight till Friday night I have no good food options available.  I do travel food all the time, but never without refrigeration/ microwave for so long. 

I have one break on Thursday where I could find something but in the past I've never been pleased with the food choices there.  Its just sad when my purse food beats restaurant fare.  This will be an experience.   
H.A.L.A B.
on 2/24/10 12:06 am
Yea - that sucks. 
I do that from time to time - travel and have to be careful what I eat.  
I bring individual prot powder pouches. Then mix with water on the go.
The protein crisps - I know that some people like them - others no so much.  For me - it is a great food subs.  1 scoop is app 25 gr of protein, 115 cal. Combined that with a 100 cal nuts - it may be a great choice.

the other foods I use - protein bars - try the Atkins Advantage Chocolate PB bar - 0 sugars, 10 gr of fiber, 240 cal, and 18 gr protein - Higher in fat - but the combination of fat + fiber + proteins = it is a great meal replacement for me.  I get full and stay full for at least 2-3 hrs.  Taste good too.. and no SA. 
I use the MetRX 51 proteins RTD - mixes great in a coffee.  11 oz, 260 cal, 51 gr of proteins.  - RTD's are great if you travel by car.   B****he cheese sticks - individuals - do not need refrigeration for a couple of days (I have eaten as old as 3 days without it - it is cheese - it should be fine.)  
Good luck.  this time - you probably have not much time - but you may try in the future.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Mr.Incredible
Group Leader

KBS-TIA
Group Administrator