Losers for Lent

Groups » Losers for Lent » Discussion » I'm redefining abst...

I'm redefining abstinence for myself

sjbob
on 2/23/10 1:28 am - Willingboro, NJ
Someone posted on one of the forums asking for my definition of abstinence.  I had to think about that for a while before I could answer here.  This is my basic answer.

When I was abstinate using the Beck's Diet Solution, I was totally free from sugar, refined white carbs, and junk food including ice cream.  It was liberating but it was also a bit excessive because I am honestly not addicted to white flour.  I can eat a dinner roll and not spur on desire for more carbs.  I rarely have them.  I simply don't even like white bread nor white cake.

As I do come accross foods that do turn me on, I learn to put them on my mental list of foods to avoid.  Some foods are strange.  For example, there are some foods that I can eat just a small portion without them triggering my addiction.  I know from experience what those amounts are.  I've been dealing with my food addiction for over 30 years and I do know what works for me.  I just have to be true to myself. 

MSW will not settle
on 2/23/10 1:43 am, edited 2/23/10 1:48 am
The definition of abstinence is one of the hardest things for me to come to terms with because it is ever evolving. Nothing works for me consistantly. I can eat the same way day after day and be fine but my body demands a shift every few weeks or I stop loosing and start gaining. Fortunately there are many ways to skin this cat.

This week abstinence is bringing carbs down daily until I hit ketosis then staying there until it no longer works for me. Its taken a year to accept that I am a metabolic problem child, but I'm working on it.

When defining abstenence for yourself, know what the problem is first. Then understand what can help, why it can help, and how to execute it. Last, know when the problem and/ or solution need to be re assessed.

MSW   Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass: Eat sensibly & enjoy moderation  

Links:  Are you a compulsive eater?  for help OA meets on-line Keep Coming Back, One Day At a Time  Overeaters Anonymous 

LV'N MY RNY.  WORKING FOR ME BECAUSE I WORK FOR IT. 

Mr.Incredible
Group Leader

KBS-TIA
Group Administrator