Losers for Lent

Carbs

Mr. Incredible
on 2/19/10 1:44 am - Canada
Well, many of us  much like Lisa, is starting to go through withdrawal- very common.  If you can last 3-4 days without carbs the symptoms will subside and you will feel better- honest.. lol.  Remember- it's darkest before the dawn.

I am going to borrow something from a lovely young lady on the Ontario board (thanks Sara)- someone asked what is a bad vs a 'good' carb- she found an article on the web somewhere:

Not all carbs are created equal

Foods with a high glycemic index can make your blood sugar levels spike, which can make your body store fat and encourage you to overeat. Others help stabilize your blood sugar and come loaded with nutrients and fibre—which fill you up, give you longer lasting energy and keep your digestive system humming.

Bad carbs

White bread High GI rating, zero fibre, few nutrients

White bagel Same as white bread, plus an average bagel equals as many as four servings of bread

Potatoes High GI rating, lends itself to frying or loading with butter and other toppings

White cereals High GI rating, no fibre, often loaded with sugar

Soft drinks GI rating through the roof, calories galore, zero nutrients, don't fill you up

Ice cream High GI rating, loaded with fat and sugar

"Light" and "fat-free" foods High GI rating; manufacturers often fill these salad dressings, yogurts and other low-fat foods with sugar for taste

Instant white rice No fibre means a sky-high GI rating

Bananas and melons High GI rating because of their sugar content; eat in moderation as these tasty fruits are a good source of vitamins

Good carbs

Whole-grain bread Moderate GI rating, filling, loaded with fibre
How to eat it well Eat as toast with a low-sugar jam, in a sandwich filled with tuna(made with low-fat mayo and lots of veggies)or slices of roast turkey

Legumes Lentils, kidney beans, chick peas and the like are both a protein and a carb; low GI rating, full of nutrients and fibre
How to eat them well Mixed with vegetables and some curry sauce on brown rice, rolled into a whole-wheat wrap

Brown rice Moderate GI rating
How to eat it well The same way you would eat white rice, served with curries, meat and veggies and in sushi

Sweet potatoes Moderate GI rating, plenty of nutrients and fibre, great taste
How to eat them well The same way you would eat regular potatoes—mashed, baked or barbecued with spices and a dash of olive oil, chopped up in a soup, chili or curry

Pasta Low GI rating, especially whole-grain varieties
How to eat it well Buy whole-grain pasta whenever possible, cook al dente and keep your serving size between half a cup and one cup(125 to 250 mL).

Apples, pears, grapefruit Low GI rating, nutrient- and fibre-rich
How to eat them well Whole rather than juiced. Although you always want to eat a variety of fruit, focus on these low-GI varieties if your weight is an issue.

Lettuce, broccoli, spinach, celery Low GI rating, minimal calories and lots of fibre
How to eat them well At almost every meal, toss low-cal vegetables onto your plate to fill up your stomach and give you lots of nutrients; eat salads frequently

This piece is just for information.  Let's remember that many of the 'good' carbs can still be high on the carbs (bread, rice, pasta's etc).- so be care full- read the labels.   When we talk about carbs- we usually refer to refined carbs- rather then bad carbs. You need to get your nutrients in.

Speaking of labels... things are often not they seem.  Yesterday I was in a hurry- and I needed some protein bars-  I found a box of Atkins bars (Caramel Nut Chew)- according to he label- 1g of sugar, 130 calories and 8 g of protein- quickly I thought- okay- I bought the box- $29. later when I got home and had one, I realized it was to sweet to be like that... lol. When I actually look at the Nutrition Facts on the label- it has 17 g OF CARBS and 9 g of SUGAR ALCOHOL- Anyone want to buy a box of Atkins bars?

Let me ask you guys- I would like to hear your answers.  We all know that salads, most fruits, veggies etc are good for us- even of there is some small amount of carbs- but, really- is there such a thing as a GOOD CARB?

PATS- September 30th 2009
Surgery- October 14th, 2009
orignall goal-200lbs new goal 185'
August 2011-  182- umm.. now what?
The past is the past and can never be changed, but the future is what ever you want it to be.

LesshugeinNJ
on 2/19/10 2:38 am
The sugar alcohol thing has me confused. I've been told conflicting things (as usual) by the two nutritionists I've dealt with. So, what is the consensus in here (since nutritionists seem to just be guessing for all the disagreement they have)? Is sugar alcohol the same to us RNYers as regular sugar?

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/19/10 2:44 am
They are not, IMO.  But some of us can tolerate them better than others. i.e. too many grams of SA in a portion makes me sick, but a few - just gives me gas.  And the type of SA - some are worse than others for gastro distress.  
Some of us react to the SA as to a normal sugar - = dumping.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/19/10 2:41 am
Good carb: fiber... we need that.. or else...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

justthebeginning
on 2/19/10 3:14 am - Cambridge, MD
Thanks so much for posting this!!!

Guess what?  I just got back from "lunch" (I try to go out so I don't have to see what everyone else is eating).  I walk in the door and my "boss" says, "I just ordered pizza, it should be here any minute."  So I said, thanks but no thanks.  So here is the BIG problem, everyone is now gathered in the small conference room about 25 ft from my office and the smell of PapaJohns is wafting through the air.

OMG ~ I think I'm going to die today~ what's the saying, "that which does not kill us will only make us stronger."

Lisa Z.

When we believe, all things are possible!

Mr. Incredible
on 2/19/10 3:46 am - Canada
ya... pizza is always a weakness of mine too... lol.  I'm sure you will do great!
(deactivated member)
on 2/19/10 4:43 am - Middle River, MD
Yep, pizza, chocolate and men in red tights!
Mr. Incredible
on 2/19/10 4:46 am - Canada

Melva
on 2/19/10 5:22 am - Gilbert, AZ
Mr Wonderful,

I don't know if there is a good carb. I myself have been prepping myself for the Becks diet solution where you have a mind over matter but you choose the diet you are going to be on. While doing the prep I had decided to go on the Hi Protein Low carb. Been on it for 3 weeks.  Challenges and no weight loss in the beginning, I had my Adkins Bars Good but like you said to carbs and alcohol and whatever else, now my other down fall was nuts any kind of nuts, usually hi protein and low carbs. I finally realized I had to cut out both adkins bars and nuts, went thru the hunger and the headache's now doing well down 5 pounds over the past week I am sure was water but 5 is 5 whatever way you look at it.
Today I feel good minimal hunger all protein along with my protein drinks, which by the way has carbs 3 to 4 gms per serving, when I do 4 a day thats at max 16gms of ? good carbs.

Tell me someting additional I can be doing to keep this up for 40 or 60 days etc;, it seems to be working for me now, I like it, Long term how this is effective VS innefective.

Glad to be here
Melva
Mr. Incredible
on 2/19/10 5:47 am - Canada
Hi Melva- Welcome to the group!!

You ask a couple of good questions- and I am sure some others will offer their opinions.  Let me begin by saying- I agree with you- 5lbs is 5 lbs.. lol- you can call it want you want- but it's still 5lbs!

I am glad to hear you have cut back on the carbs and no more hunger pains or headaches.  A lot of our problem is the psychological addiction with food- I KNOW that is my biggest demon.  I try not to look at it as 40/60/80 days- but rather as today.  Tomorrow- is tomorrow.  When I wake up tomorrow morning- then it's just another day.

I don't know how realistic it is, and I could be wrong- to say that 'I will cut out 100% of my carbs'.  In doing so- you would be not only cutting out the protein drinks - but also plenty of the vegetables and fruits  we need to survive.  

It sounds like you are doing great- please feel free to jump in and comment on anything you see!

Brian

Mr.Incredible
Group Leader

KBS-TIA
Group Administrator