Losers for Lent

Groups » Losers for Lent » Discussion » The New Beginning (...

The New Beginning (with your help)

Mr. Incredible
on 2/16/10 10:54 pm, edited 2/17/10 1:07 am - Canada
Karen started a good thread- on what she is giving up for 40 days.   That's a great place to start- What are you giving up?  What are you hoping to accomplish over the next forty days?

Personally- I�was out to dinner on the weekend, and part of the cost of the meal was dessert- and umm.. yup- I�was able to eat about 3/4 of a slice of cheesecake - with NO dumping!!� That scares me..lol.� I�mean- if I�can do that- what's next?� I�really don't want to find out what else I�can�eat that I�shouldn't.� Although I'm not�the way I�was before surgery when it comes to carbs- I�find myself cheating a little- a piece�of rye toast with my eggs.  I know once you start�down the�path on both these�issues- it's hard to get back on track.� The reality is I�am an addict!�

When we talk about addiction, it's important that we awknowledge that almost, if not all of us are addicts in one way or another.� We are addicted to food.� Unlike alcoholics we can't just give up food, so it creates a interesting challenge for us.� Not only is there the actual chemical addiction we deal with - with carbs, caffeine, sugar- it's also (and my biggest problem)�a mental addiction.� Any therapist will tell you that psychological addiction can sometimes be the hardest to overcome.�� So, how do we do this?� Any ideas?� Well, we do it (stealing it from our friends at AA) One day at a time.

Let's take a minute or two to think how we are going to do it- seriously, I�am open to ideas.....
PATS- September 30th 2009
Surgery- October 14th, 2009
orignall goal-200lbs new goal 185'
August 2011-  182- umm.. now what?
The past is the past and can never be changed, but the future is what ever you want it to be.

Karen M.
on 2/16/10 11:57 pm - Mississauga, Canada
A very good question.  How ARE we going to do it?

I am drawing on past strength, personally. I gave up sugar for 4 years, I can certainly give up some greasy junk food for 40 days.  Or at least this is my initial approach. lol

Am going to get a small veggie tray for dipping and use that if I need "a fix".

Karen :)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

justthebeginning
on 2/17/10 1:22 am - Cambridge, MD

I've been thinking about this for weeks.  Over the past few months ~ I have fallen back into old bad habits that made me and have kept me fat for all of my life.  Food has been there for me always ~ to celebrate every joyous event in my life and to medicate the events that I would care not to recall. 

I need to make a change back to the way things should be with RNY.  My biggest problem is sweets.  I love them!  I shouldn't have them.  I can't have them.  I am addicted to them.  I have decided to give up all sweets for this period. 

I so love the way that they taste and while I usually don't get terribly sick when I eat them, I do feel lousy.  What makes it worse is that I have never been at goal since my surgery.  I will be 2 years out in May and I want to be there.  I realize that I can't be, unless I can make and stick to this commitment.  So, here I am. 

I am committed to making this change for the next 6 weeks (and hopefully longer).  I appreciate everyone here who has made this commitment!  I will try to be supportive and hope that you will be as well!

Lisa Z.

When we believe, all things are possible!

(deactivated member)
on 2/17/10 3:38 am - Middle River, MD
I'm giving up men!!!!  LOL!!!

Like Lisa, my biggest problem, both pre-op and now, is sweets.  OMG!!!  Their siren call is just TOO enticing.

So..........because I'm a creative cook (yes, B, I know I haven't sent you anything), I'm going to experiment with some recipes that are both s/f and high in protein.  Tonight's experiment is called, "Breakfast Cheesecake Cups," which I got from a Splenda cookbook.  I'll rate it and let you know!!

I keep telling Mr. Incredible to NOT open that carb door.  Once it's opened, it never quite closes again the same way.  Take it from me, I know of what I speak!!!

My ULTIMATE goal, in addition to getting rid of this hold that sweets have on me, is to lose 10 pounds by Easter.  I've done it before, so I know I can do it again.

Tia
Cheryl D.
on 2/17/10 11:02 am - Toronto, Canada
I'm only a bit past 2 months out so there is still time for me to heed the warning and not even open the door to carbs.  I want to keep it out of my life that's why I joined this group.  I remember that addiction well.

I quit smoking 15 months ago and try to bring some of that same strength I had to say no to nicotine and use it to say no to carbs.  So far so good............on both counts.  I got a lot of support for quitting smoking and it made a huge difference.  I believe getting and giving support here will contribute to my personal success as well as the success of the group.

MSW will not settle
on 2/17/10 12:13 pm
Its getting easier for me to stray as well.  I plan my digressions but its more frequent than it should be.  I dump but not easily and I know how to work around a dump by having protein before the sweets.  

Overeaters Anonymous, see the link in my siggy, is a good resource.  I'm working on protein & produce only for Lent.  OA has meetings online every three hours 24/7.  That's how I'll do this.  ODAT (One Day At a Time).   

MSW   Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass: Eat sensibly & enjoy moderation  

Links:  Are you a compulsive eater?  for help OA meets on-line Keep Coming Back, One Day At a Time  Overeaters Anonymous 

LV'N MY RNY.  WORKING FOR ME BECAUSE I WORK FOR IT. 

Mr.Incredible
Group Leader

KBS-TIA
Group Administrator