Bariatric Journey

Groups » Bariatric Journey » Discussion » Lap Band and Hiatal...

Lap Band and Hiatal Hernia

(deactivated member)
on 7/9/09 1:35 am - Rockford, IL
Hi Im new to the group. I havent had the lap band surgery yet but Im going to the seminar on July 11/09.

I originally contacted the University of Wisconsin Madison and was going to their seminar. (was thinking of having it done there originally) I told them I had a hiatal hernia and they told me to get and upper GI and send them the results. I did that and the doctor that took the Xrays told me it was a small hernia. Well, they doctors at the UW said that it was medium large so they recommended i do reg. gastric bypass surgery instead of the band. I dont know why they wont fix it, as Im reading all over the blogs on the  net that other doctors just fix them big and small no problem. I wrote them a letter but guess they are too busy to answer my questions so I can only think that its a money thing. Figure that the gastric is a lot more than the band. I heard the band was like 14,000 and reg. gastric bypass was like 26,000. What else am I suppose to think when they wont talk to me?

Anyhoo, I looked up St. Alexius and will go to their seminar on Saturday. I hope they fix the hiatal hernia's there. Has anyone had that done at St. Alexius with Dr. Kane? I have to go to a medicare approved facility and there are not that many in the area.

Sure would appreciate all replys. Thanks

Looking forward to lap band -
Judy Nelson