Bariatric Journey

Groups » Bariatric Journey » Discussion » wls friendly restau...

wls friendly restaurants

**willow**
on 7/2/09 1:58 pm - Lake In The Hills, IL

What do you look for in a wls friendly restaurant?

I eat out at least once a week and often more. I eat at a variety of places and I like fine dining. I rarely do fast food - and buffets are blah - only for when I am with a group and everyone else wants to go there and I just go along because they are my friends.

I have a restaurant card - but have never used it and never will. and if I split an entree I tip as if we each had ordered a full entree. the server had to wait on 2 people even though we ordered one meal and he/she deserves to be compensted for the effort given.  (former waitress who hated being stiffed by cheap people - off my soapbox)

I really eat at all sorts of places - Japanese/sushi  is my favorite, followed by italian, then maybe french.  Chinese food does not agree with me post op for some reason. I can eat rice in sushi and rice I cook myself, but not rice from a chinese place, and for some reason - chinese food even with out the rice give me a belly ache.

I can't say that I have ever gone to a restaurant that I didn't find something appropriate for me to eat. every place offers salads, grilled chicken, or I can order a sandwich and skip most of the bread since bread fills me up too much and then I can't eat the other good stuff in my sand wich. 

I eat at Panera regularly- get the pick 2 - 1/2 sandwich and 1/2 salad, eat the sandwich now and salad later.  or if I order a whole sandwich I eat all the filling and 1/4 - 1/2 of the bread depending on how thick the bread is.  

I have never eaten any place that denied me splitting an entree if I wished to, or just ordering an appetiser if that was what I wanted. I generally order what I want and take home the extra,  If I don't eat it some one will.  

In the past 2 weeks I have had french food - I ordered fish, with a lemony sauce, and had 2 meals from it, at an italian restaurant I ordered a ribeye steak, with a brandied demi - glace and topped with crumbled blue cheese ( I am sure not a low cal dish) but I took 3 meals to fini**** anothe rmeal I ordered grilled salmon topped with a little mix of avacodo , tomato, onion, and a balsamic glaze, on a bed of grilled asparagus. ( OMG it was so good)

I eat real food and I follow an eating plan, but it includes all food groups.  I aim to eat healthy carbs but not severly low carb. I never went severely low carb, since i have been on solid food I have aimed for a healthy balance of all of the nutrients. I generally am able to get in 100+  grams of protein with out the use of protein shakes or bars.

I saw Chef Dave speak at the chicago OH event and I follow pretty much the philospphy he stated - I eat what all healthy people are supposed to be eating in the portions they should be eaten.

I would love very much to hear others ideas on eatin gout please share.

10+ years post op and still maintaining!!! surgery  9/25/2002 260/134
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bariatric_journey/welcome/                                                 if you send a friend request on FB make a note that you are from OH - thanks           http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/profile.php?id=586438255&ref=profile  

also www.facebook.com/valshealthykitchen        

Bike Riding   

kdesiatorn
on 7/6/09 3:55 am

I just got a great site from Work. Check it out !

www.HealthyDiningFinder.com

Same days it doesn't pay to chew the restraints off...