Bariatric Journey

welcome

**willow**
on 4/23/09 2:36 pm - Lake In The Hills, IL

welcome to all the new members.

It is good to have you in the group. I am hoping to get some discussion going in th emessage boards. so please post. 

here is a topic/ question

Stress management is a big issue for everyone these days.  food used to be the "drug of choice"  to deal with lifes dissapointments, frustraions, losses.

What skills ar eyou using now that you did not before. I am going to list a few I have learned and am finding useful.

1. I am (trying to ) learn that I do not have to be all things to all people or fix others problems.

this has been a frequent issue for me especially with family. It is freeing to let them sometimes figure out their own way, and better for them too.  It is also better to let them make and live with their mistakes rather than trying to  prevent/ fix it all.

2. relation exercises.  Letting go of stress by by Dr Emmet Miller - available on CD,  on amazon. I loaded it onto my Ipod. it has several relaxation exercises, each takes only 20 minutes and i feeel rested aferwards.

3. yoga.  whether classes or using a dvd it helps empty the mind of stress and negative thought.

4. a grattitude list. I am trying ( when I can) to list in my journal a couple things I am grateful for as often as I can. they can be as simple as the sun was shining today to my gratitude for being able to walk several miles or go up and don my stairs with out gettng winded.

5 physical exercise. it is a great release. it raises endorphins which are the feel good chemicalsin ou bodies.  it doesnt have to be "exercise"  dance around the living room. ride a bike just for fun.  play ball or frizbee with your kid or dog. roller skate.

I go to the park with my grandkids and go on the swings and slides.  it is fun and freeing.

lets see some of YOUR ideas!

HUGS to all

Val

10+ years post op and still maintaining!!! surgery  9/25/2002 260/134
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bariatric_journey/welcome/                                                 if you send a friend request on FB make a note that you are from OH - thanks           http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/profile.php?id=586438255&ref=profile  

also www.facebook.com/valshealthykitchen        

Bike Riding