Bariatric Journey

Goal setting

**willow**
on 2/28/08 10:15 am - Lake In The Hills, IL
I wanted to post about "goals"  I don't really mean just hte number on the scale, although that may be one type of goal. I am looking at goals like changing a behavior.  Just saying I want to weigh XXX pounds is one kind of goal, but how do we reach it? I think making goals that are based on changing behavior may be more effective ( just my personal theory)  so, I might pick a goal of exercising 30 minutes a day at least 5 days a week.  The goal should be challanging, but realistic - not to be too easy or set yourself up for failure.  break the goal into steps along the way - points at which you will reward yourself. My first step will be to write down that goal. Get a beautiful journal that you can be proud of. Or Make a poster to hang in your bathroom where you see it daily,  or a nice "scrapbook" page, in other words, something special and meaningful to you that you will be proud of and look at daily.   then  set a date. Maybe a month or two away. This will be the date you want to be meeting that goal by.  Make a plan on how you will reach that goal. write the plan  in your journal. For example, if you are just starting exercising, 30 minutes in a row maybe more than you can handle, but maybe now you can do 5 or 10 minutes.  so do that, then next week try to go 12 minutes, the week after 15 minutes.  or maybe 10 minutes 3 times a day.   Plan for it - set aside a certain time each day to work on your goal.   for example I will exercise for 10 minutes before my AM shower, and 10 minutes before bed this week and 15 minutes next week.  write that in your journal as well. Enlist a support system - do you have a friend or spouse who will work with you? support you? In your special journal or poster each day write in your progress.  Give yourself a little leeway, we all take an occasional step backwards, we are just human.  if you have a bad day, or even a bad week, forgive yourself and move on. when you meet your goal for the week , say last week you could only exercise for 10 minutes and this week you can exercise for 15 with out stopping you deserve a reward.  what kind of rewards? Well, (I have done this and I know it happens and it was not the best idea ) not food.  yes I have rewarded my workout with a cookie -  but am working to change that mindset.  So what would be a good reward?  Something special for you that you would not ordinarily treat yourself to. A nice bubble bath with a nice scented candle and some quiet time just for you. a pretty pair of earrings ( they don't change size like everything else does - so I love them as a reward.) a manicure pedicure a massage a new work out outfit  a new pair of walking shoes  a movie you have been wanting to see a new book fro the library to read,    the sense of pride in the accomplishment is also a reward in itself. I'd love to see everyone else's ideas on rewards as well. these are kind of girly so if there are any guys out there they can add to the list. 

10+ years post op and still maintaining!!! surgery  9/25/2002 260/134
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bariatric_journey/welcome/                                                 if you send a friend request on FB make a note that you are from OH - thanks           http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/profile.php?id=586438255&ref=profile  

also www.facebook.com/valshealthykitchen        

Bike Riding   

w8'n no more
on 2/28/08 5:46 pm - middle of, IL
WOW!  You are a certified personal trainer!   That has to be rewarding!!  I recently tore a good section of my rotator cuff.  I haven't been able to swim for 3 months now.  Looks like surgery since PT has not worked, and I'm actually trending backwards.  I think it is very important to find an exercise that you enjoy (or can at least stand).  I hate stairstepping, but LOVE to swim and kinda got fanatic about it.  I used to be a long distance runner before a 1995 crash that left me with a reconstructed foot.  I was really messed up both physically and then mentally by this.  A year of surgeries and PT to get back even walking without a cane.  Being able to swim laps gave me that adrenaline high again since I could do it long enough and hard enough.  I think there is definitely a personality for every type of exercise.  Now weight lifting to me is like hauling around boxes of rocks.  But I do it, because I know it is good for us.  Anyway, after I get this rotator cuff fixed, I plan to get back in that damn pool.  I LONG for it LOL!  BTW, who is the best ortho guy you know?  I'm going with Durkin and Dwroski from Hindsdale Ortho right now.  Just picking your brain . . .
Kathy
sw/cw/gw
269/136/141
Surgery Date 10/21/05  Dr. Anthone
Aspire to Inspire Before You Expire!
**willow**
on 2/29/08 11:24 am - Lake In The Hills, IL
OUCH a torn rotaor cuff sounds really painful - hope the surgery makes it better - be sure to keep up with PT after too.  with that ype of injury I think you really need a physical therapist.  They have generally so much education and are great resources.  I actually injured my back recently and am seeing  aa physical therapist for help with that - I knew a lot of th exercises, but they can do som eother great stuff - been having the electrical stimulation treatments and  massage therapy, they also may do som eultra sound treatments.  As far as Orthos - I really only know the ones where I work.

10+ years post op and still maintaining!!! surgery  9/25/2002 260/134
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bariatric_journey/welcome/                                                 if you send a friend request on FB make a note that you are from OH - thanks           http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/profile.php?id=586438255&ref=profile  

also www.facebook.com/valshealthykitchen        

Bike Riding