WLS Support Group - Stevens County

Groups » WLS Support Group - ... » Discussion » So, what's this sup...

So, what's this support group all about?

BigGirlsDoCry
on 1/29/10 9:44 am - Colville, WA
Hi everyone,

My name is Veronica, and I'm starting a WLS support group in Stevens County for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, while there are a few Weight Loss groups in Stevens County, there are no groups dedicated to the unique experiences that come with Weight Loss Surgery.  The closest support group is in Spokane, and I know for a lot of us in today's tough economy, that's just not feasible!

Secondly, I know a few people in my community who have had WLS or are thinking about it, and I'd love to be part of a supportive, close group that can share their ups and downs with each other, and provide each other much-needed support through the various issues and obstacles that can crop up before and after surgery.

Lastly, WLS is expensive!  Between the copays and deductibles, the lab fees and vitamins, the protein supplements and needing a whole new wardrobe - it really adds up!  I'd like to start a clothing exchange as a way to help minimize the financial impact of WLS.  I'd also like to be able to trade samples of vitamins and supplements, and protein powders when I accidentally buy a whole tub of something I don't like.  Right now, I happen to have a whole month's worth of chewable bariatric vitamins I no longer need - I'm able to swallow pills already - and I'd love to barter for something I can use!

I researched for over 9 years before I had gastric bypass on October 26, 2009.  My insurance company assigns a case manager to each WLS candidate, and I worked with a guy who was very dedicated to ensuring that I would be a WLS success.  His attitude was infectious, and I worked very hard during my pre-op journey to be the best patient I could be.  He always told me, "The better you do pre-op, the better you'll do post-op."  He was right!  I did really well before my surgery, and I've had no significant issues or complications since.  I'd like to share my experiences with you, and support you in whatever phase of your WLS journey you're on.

I bring to the table a valuable asset - my coworker Marian is a 5-year post-op veteran.  She had open RNY gastric bypass, and has a lot of wisdom, tips, and tricks up her sleeve.  You can bet I've been learning a LOT from her.  She will be co-facilitating our support group, and I'm looking forward to introducing her!

If you're curious about WLS, or thinking about whether it might be a choice for you - if you're already on a WLS journey, either pre-approval, pre-surgery, or post-op - if you're the family member, partner, or friend of someone who wants to or will have WLS - if you live in the Stevens County area, than I sincerely hope you'll join us at the WLS Support Group!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.  ~Dr. Suess