Central Florida's Loser's on the Winning End!

Recent Posts

ToriRaye
on 5/25/11 10:43 am - FL
Topic: RE: Protein question for all
 Thanks for mentioning Biotin.  I just placed some in my Amazon cart and will order it in a few minutes.  We all have the same surgeon here on this group - but he didn't mention it to me.   I do appreciate you telling me about it though... and I look forward to it getting easier.  I am slightly paniced at this point.  :)

Thanks also for the protein suggestions.  Yeah - my pouch is very picky at times.  It doesn't like ANYTHING before 10am, and when it is done - it yells... loudly.  

Thanks for the support.  
T

Don't focus on where you are - Focus on where you want to be!
NeeNee1971
on 5/25/11 10:22 am - FL
Topic: RE: Protein question for all
I am 4 years out from my original RNY and almost 2 weeks out from my revision. I have been slowly eating again and can get my protein from tuna, fish, shrimps or protein shakes. If you find you are not eating 3 meals a day drink a shake. I have used generic brands as well as Unjury.

Congrats on being 2 months out! I also struggled in the beginning it does get easier. If you get that sick feeling it is your pouch saying enough!!! As for the hair thinning, take Biotin vitamins. I am surprised your surgeon did not mention that.

Pre Surgery  352  Surgery  346 ~ Current  198  Goal  180
Mommy to: Emma Grace 7/23/03 ~ Erin Faith 12/5/05 ~ Kayley Olena 9/17/08

ToriRaye
on 5/24/11 10:31 am - FL
Topic: Protein question for all
 I would like to know how you get your protein in and where you are with your surgery.  

Do you have days where you can eat or drink as much protein as other days?

What are the tricks and secrets you have found to making sure you get your protein?  Any special advice?

I am a little over 2 months out from surgery and I struggle every day with my protein.  I try to concentrate on meat mostly because I just find lately I can't take in protein shakes all that well.  While there are a few recipes I like, I just get to a point where I feel I will get sick if I take another sip.  

I log all of my food and track it in this site under Health Tracker to the item of what is put in my mouth every single day.

The problem is I am so tired of my hair falling out and feeling "thin" in the wrong place.  I am getting nervous and could really use your advice team.

Thanks

ToriRaye
on 5/17/11 5:49 pm - FL
Topic: RE: What's Different?
 Well said.  I agree with you that this surgery changes how you think about food.  As I have said to a few others on here... I read something that just sums it up for me that was posted by a fellow member on the OH site.  "We used to live to eat.  Now, we eat to live".  That has been so true for me.  I don't find the relationship with food to be so uncontrollable anymore... now I control the food.  I spend my free time looking for healthy recipes and changing those that I love into a way healthier version.  But I also spend more time on here, finding friends and building relationships, updating my food log and tracking every portion of food I put into my body watching especially for protein.  I have educated myself on whether a piece of food I am about to put in my body has a reason to be put in my body - what do I get out of it?  Its there protein?  What's the fat content? Does it have sugar?  I am here to tell you before surgery I had the biggest sweet tooth and lived on pasta.  My favorite pasta dish used to be one that carried OVER a days worth of calories and I never bothered to look at that before.  

I am very proud of your activity level and I know you must feel better.  I set my goal to start working out this week and I am looking forward to it.  I actually look forward to getting my bike at this end of this month.  Congrats on such wonderful achievements and results.  

MCOfdlc
on 5/16/11 6:51 am - Orlando, FL

What hasn't changed, lol?

Before surgery, I was in bed or sitting for 95% of the day. I had no hope, nor willingness to change. My view of life was abysmal to say the least. Although life after surgery is not easy, I couldn't imagine making the progress I've made without it. That's what surgery does for you, it gives you an opportunity to make real, long-lasting lifestyle changes. It shatters the relationship with food that existed, so that you can re-prioritize that relationship for YOUR health's benefit. As I am writing this, it is 5 months post-op. As of my last weigh in I have lost 142 lbs. I haven't been at this weight in over 10 years. I never imagined that I would ever participate in a 5k walk, which I did on April 30th, 2011. I never imagined I would be walking 1 mile on the treadmill, every morning. I never imagined I would be walking into a gym to do strength training, every other day. Nor, did I imagine I would attend Yoga classes at a local studio 3 times a week. I find myself smiling at people when I head out of the house. So many so called "little things", that have such a big impact on our lives and those around us. If there is one word to encapsulate what weight loss surgery does for you, is that it gives you "hope".

ToriRaye
on 5/14/11 4:27 am - FL
Topic: RE: Looking tnto the future...
I hope this finds you with BP and cholesterol under control and feeling much better.

I blew my knee out in 2010 and went down in my back twice - all three requiring someone to come take care of me for 2 weeks at a time.  I got tired of being taken care of like that and wanted my life back.  It was horrible to be stuck in bed for days because my body couldn't support my weight any more.

I wish you all the best.  I hope you join us on Tuesday.  

(deactivated member)
on 5/14/11 4:18 am
None of that. My BP was too high and my cholesterol was getting out of wack
ToriRaye
on 5/14/11 4:00 am - FL
We are growing every week!!  :)

What do you look forward to or was a focus goal for you when you hit your goal weight?  Was there a dress you wanted to get in to?   A special date you wanted to go on with someone?  A girls weekend at the beach? 

ToriRaye
on 5/11/11 1:11 pm - FL
For me it is the awareness of healthy eating.  I look at every package and every recipe to see what I can get out of it... meaning mainly PROTEIN, PROTEIN, PROTEIN!!!  I have a program that helps me track nutrition but I have changed to using this website for the nutritional tracker because it is so easy and I am on here every day anyway.  I am ordering an electronic recipe reader (I think it is a Demi by KeyIngredient.com) so I can input my healthy recipes and tweak those that I have on my AllRecipes site for better health, upload them and basically take it to my kitchen for cooking.   Yep, it is absolutely my awareness for nutritional data...and healthy food.

Tori

Mandi E.
on 5/11/11 11:48 am - Kissimmee, FL
Topic: What's Different?
So tell me ya'll...what has changed for you since surgery? 

How has Dr. Jawad changed your life? 

Don't forget to invite a friend of Dr. Jawad's to join the group!! 

~Mandi

xoxo~Mandi
"I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it!" ~Marilyn Monroe
 HW:422LBs Pre-op:394LBs SW:391.6LBs CW:303LBs GW:190LBs (5'10")
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ToriRaye
Group Leader

Mandi E.
Group Administrator