Central Florida's Loser's on the Winning End!

Groups » Central Florida's Lo... » Discussion » Protein question fo...

Protein question for all

ToriRaye
on 5/24/11 10:31 am - FL
 I would like to know how you get your protein in and where you are with your surgery.  

Do you have days where you can eat or drink as much protein as other days?

What are the tricks and secrets you have found to making sure you get your protein?  Any special advice?

I am a little over 2 months out from surgery and I struggle every day with my protein.  I try to concentrate on meat mostly because I just find lately I can't take in protein shakes all that well.  While there are a few recipes I like, I just get to a point where I feel I will get sick if I take another sip.  

I log all of my food and track it in this site under Health Tracker to the item of what is put in my mouth every single day.

The problem is I am so tired of my hair falling out and feeling "thin" in the wrong place.  I am getting nervous and could really use your advice team.

Thanks

Don't focus on where you are - Focus on where you want to be!
NeeNee1971
on 5/25/11 10:22 am - FL
I am 4 years out from my original RNY and almost 2 weeks out from my revision. I have been slowly eating again and can get my protein from tuna, fish, shrimps or protein shakes. If you find you are not eating 3 meals a day drink a shake. I have used generic brands as well as Unjury.

Congrats on being 2 months out! I also struggled in the beginning it does get easier. If you get that sick feeling it is your pouch saying enough!!! As for the hair thinning, take Biotin vitamins. I am surprised your surgeon did not mention that.

Pre Surgery  352  Surgery  346 ~ Current  198  Goal  180
Mommy to: Emma Grace 7/23/03 ~ Erin Faith 12/5/05 ~ Kayley Olena 9/17/08

ToriRaye
on 5/25/11 10:43 am - FL
 Thanks for mentioning Biotin.  I just placed some in my Amazon cart and will order it in a few minutes.  We all have the same surgeon here on this group - but he didn't mention it to me.   I do appreciate you telling me about it though... and I look forward to it getting easier.  I am slightly paniced at this point.  :)

Thanks also for the protein suggestions.  Yeah - my pouch is very picky at times.  It doesn't like ANYTHING before 10am, and when it is done - it yells... loudly.  

Thanks for the support.  
T

NeeNee1971
on 5/25/11 12:07 pm - FL
*smack my head. lol Duh Renee of course we have the same surgeon. It is normal for hair to thin and fall out in the beginning. I used to have very thick hair then it went thin. A year after it is back. Just your body trying to adjust to not getting nutrients the usual way. As for my lack of paying attention. I am sorry. After replying on the FL forum I did not realize where I was. lol

Lol about your pouch. Sounds like it knows what it wants when it wants. Good thing.
Pre Surgery  352  Surgery  346 ~ Current  198  Goal  180
Mommy to: Emma Grace 7/23/03 ~ Erin Faith 12/5/05 ~ Kayley Olena 9/17/08

MCOfdlc
on 5/31/11 6:04 am - Orlando, FL
 It's funny you mention this, because it's ironic how I was a slave to food before surgery, but I am still a slave in other ways. I am 5 1/2 months post op from my gastric sleeve. I am also very physicall active. I do cardio everyday (1-mile on treadmill), strenght training every other day and Yoga 4 times a week. In order to progress physically, I have to stay above 100g of protein per day minimum. So, basically my diet looks like this:

Breakfast (6a - 7a)

1/3 Cup Oatmeal, 2 egg whites 

Snack (9a - post workout)

Protein Shake with ice, water, 1/4 Banana

Lunch (12p - 1p)

2 - 3 oz of Boneless Skinless Chix Breast

1 - 2 oz Brown Rice or Sweet Potato

Snack (3p - 4p)

Protein Shake with ice, water, 1/4 Banana

Dinner (6p - 7p)

2 - 3 oz Lean Protein (chix or fish)

1 - 2 oz NON-starchy vegetable

ToriRaye
on 5/31/11 10:02 am - FL
 Thank you for posting this.  I find my diet is changed in some ways - but in others I have some of the same "wants" just know I have to choose smarter now for protein.  At the same time, I find the things I used to really crave, I don't crave anymore.  Sweets was a huge thing for me before surgery...now I have almost zero desire for them.  If I do want something, I eat a sugar free cookie and that is it.  As in one - verses the old "pack".  :)  I will look at working on my diet to model yours and see how I do with protein.  I find my pouch doesn't want to be messed with at all till 10am so I will have to work around that... but I appreciate you post.

ToniLee
on 5/31/11 11:35 pm
I also still drink protein shakes.  (Dr. Jawad does NOT approve of this).  We have discussed this several times at group meetings.   I only use the Unjury as I personally didn't like the other ones.  He wants us getting our protein from food not shakes.  BUT, at 3+ years out I still have a shake almost every morning.  It fills me up and I am not hungry.  Not to mention its a "no brainer".  I don't have to think whats for breakfast.  I use soy milk and put in 2 tsp of chocolate malt mix.  It adds a few calories but enhances the flavor.  I also use 5 ice cubes and mix in my magic bullet to get a milk shake consistency. 

My daughter just had the sleeve done on the 17th and I have her started on the shakes also, and my hubby also a sleever does his shakes also.  Strange your losing your hair already, I thought it was more like 6 months out for most???  I remember cutting 11 inches off my hair and donating it to locks of love, a week before surgery knowing it was a possibility.  I have very thick hair so it wasn't too bad, I just take the bariatric advantage vitamins and watched the protein.

The small tuna packs are great for meals and have lots of protein.  I also eat boiled eggs a lot, also one of those easy things you don't have to think about.  Rolled up lunch meat or the small packages of southwest chicken breasts, already cooked I can't remember the name right now, but good for 2 meals with a veggie or chunks of cheese.

HW 271/SW 255 RNY Jan.21 08 RNY Revision July 25th 2013
Plastics done 4/21/10 (Dr. Sauceda)
Extended TT, Full Arm lift, BL/BA, Long Thigh lift

ToriRaye
on 6/1/11 11:19 am - FL
 Thank you.  I haven't been to one of his support groups yet, so it is good to hear from someone who has been.  I know they want you to eat your protein, but I just can't hold it.  I try, but there is only about one time a day I can get any decent portion of protein in.  I have to get back on my shakes because I was getting at least a decent amount of protein (not near what I should have every day - but at least some - maybe 40g).  Where I stand now, I would be surprised if I got 20g in per day with food alone.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I love the southwest chicken strips... I use those in salads all the time.  It makes a great chicken salad or a SW chicken salad too.

Thanks again for your thoughts.  I appreciate the support from you all.  :)

ToriRaye
Group Leader

Mandi E.
Group Administrator