Living Good with Livengood

Recent Posts

Denise M.
on 7/31/12 10:42 pm, edited 7/31/12 10:44 pm
Topic: Testing a Google Docs thing
 Can I embed PDF files?  This is an amusing document on the Let Loose Technique for Band Patients . . . yes, if your band erodes your stomach and ends up INSIDE your GI tract, just chill and poop it out!  LOVELY!!!

DOH!  Can't embed it in this post, but here's the link to the full article.

Denise M.
on 9/27/10 11:05 pm
Topic: Back on Track, 9/27/2010
Last night was another great meeting--back on track edition, where we addressed challenges that knock us off our path to health.

Here are a few concepts mentioned last night that affect our focus:

1.  Conscious Living.  Critical in staying on track, this means not living on auto-pilot or taking the path of least resistance.  Make conscious choices to exercise or NOT eat junk food.  Be aware and in the moment.

2.  Emotional Eating.  Clearly, we are all dealing with emotional eating issues.  Surgery addresses your GI tract, but not your brain.  And when under stress, it's not our pouch that tells us to turn to comfort foods, it's our thoughts.

Some suggestions to deal with the urge to eat emotionally?  Note that your brain can only think of one thing at a time--find a way to re-direct yourself.

::  Feel your feelings (use the focusing techniques discussed at the September didactic session)
  ::  If you're not emotionally prepared to feel the feelings, try distracting yourself
        --  journal/write about what's bugging you
        -- take a walk
        -- play with your pets
        -- call a friend or write an email
        -- choose ANY distraction technique you prefer that is incompatible with eating (it's kind of hard to eat while you're knitting!)

3.  Have a specific goal to work toward, and do it with friends.  Whether it's a marathon or just a routine walking schedule, it's easier to do things when you have a specific plan.  "I'm gonna walk," versus, "I am going to walk 20 minutes a day, 5 days a week at the park down the street."  Specific is always more helpful than vague.

To help with some of our walking goals, here are some helpful links:

::  Geodistance is one of many websites that allows you to accurately calculate the distance of your favorite walking routes.  MapMyRun is another site, and it even lists the training route for the Country Music Marathon and Half Marathon!  Though I haven't fully checked it out, it also looks like you can set up an account and compare how far you've walked with your friends!

::  Invest in a good pedometer.  The highest rated (and best in my personal experience) are from the company Omron.  Click this link to see their entire line.  They are typically available at stores like Target,  Walmart, CVS and Walgreens, and online at vendors like Amazon.com.

Okay, I just checked work emails and my boss is In A Mood.  Trying very hard to not absorb HIS anxiety issues and not stress eat before work!  Some days it feels like the little stress monsters are out there, lying in wait for us, huh?  Maybe a nice walk will help chase them off . . . or at least maybe out run them a bit!

This was the last meeting for September and our next Monday night meeting will be on the 11th of October--the Fashion Show!  It's going to be across the street in the Auditorium.  Check with Pam for more details!
Denise M.
on 9/20/10 10:18 pm
Topic: Dr. Livengood Presents: Focusing Skills, 9/20/2010
As usual, Dr. L's presentation was quite thought provoking and insightful!  My subconscious mind went nuts on this, thinking about it all night.  The following is my interpretation of the discussion with a few personal references.  

Items in bold are quotes from Dr. L's presentation.

Dealing with Underlying Issues That Cause Me to Want to EAT
Centennial Medical Center for the Treatment of Obesity
Janice M. Livengood, Ph.D., HSP
Athena Consulting and Psychological Services, LLC (615-320-1155)

My mother was quite fond of saying to me as a child, "If you don't stop crying, I'll give you something to cry about!"  I don't even remember what I was upset about on those occasions, but I certainly remember those words.  

I also remember that on some level, she was telling me--intentionally or otherwise--that my feelings were insignificant.  Not important.  Perhaps not even worthy of being felt.  If my feelings are not worthy, then maybe I should stop listening to them.

This was the beginning of my disconnect.  I learned that if I cry and get yelled at for crying, maybe I should distract myself from those feeling that make me cry in the first place.  Then I won't get yelled at.  That sounds like a plan, right?

So I learned at a young age to stifle my feelings and escape from them.  Food was a great tool for distracting myself from feeling my feelings.

Many of us are conditioned through life's experiences to distance ourselves from what we are really feeling.  We can be compassionate and caring to our friends or family members who are in emotional pain.  Why can't we do this for ourselves?

How often have you found yourself turning to food for comfort, instead of addressing the source of your emotional discomfort?  Or when food no longer works, have you turned to shopping, drinking or other destructive behavior to quiet the noise?

Try ditching the self-destruction with focusing techniques, feel your feelings and free yourself from emotional pain.

What is focusing?

Focusing is a skill you can use to get in touch with the things that are truly bothering you by listening to your body.

Instead of doing whatever it takes to make the pain go away, focusing allows the pain to surface in order to acknowledge it, feel it and deal with it.

What we resist, persists.  When we bring compassion to our pain, we are no longer resisting it, and there is the possibility of the pain melting away.

Focus involves showing compassion for the part of you that is in pain, instead of burying and resisting the pain through eating or other potentially destructive behaviors.

What are the benefits of using focusing techniques?

::  clarity about what you feel or want
     ::  reduction of stress is good for the body and can improve immune system functioning
     ::  can help reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression
     ::  can help you get unstuck in life

How do I do it?

The actual process of focusing has several steps.  With practice, they can become second nature, much like driving a car.  The process is adapted from the book Focusing by Eugene T. Gendlin.  Another helpful reference on focusing is The Power of Focusing:  A practical guide to emotional self healing by Ann Weiser Cornell, Ph.D.   

There are 6 steps or "movements," in the process:

1.  Clearing a Space
2.  Felt Sense of the Problem
3.  Handle
4.  Resonating
5.  Asking
6.  Receiving

First you begin with Clearing a Space.  Initially that means get comfortable, find a place where you can be free from distraction.  Be alone with y our thoughts--ask yourself "What's bothering me?" and listen.  Let all your thoughts bubble past.  Don't fixate on any one, just collect them but stay detached.  Keep piling up the random thoughts until you feel, "Yes, except for those, I am fine."

Next you ask yourself which problem feels the worst.  Don't delve into it; stay detached and objective.  Ask what the whole of the sense feels like, the Felt Sense of the Problem.  Politely gnore the self-lectures and negative thoughts that may distract you.  This will be a challenge, but make contact with this sense until you feel the "single great aura that encloses all of it."  According to Gendlin, "The felt sense is the holistic, unclear sense of the whole thing . . . it is murky, fuzzy, vague."  If that's what you are feeling, then  you're ready for the next step.

Finding a Handle involves defining the core of the felt sense.  What is its quality?  This can be a word, phrase or image.  Don't force words onto the sense, let the essence reveal itself to you.  Listen deeply and feel for the twinge or "body shift" that this quality is right.

At this point, you are ready to Resonate the handle and felt sense.  Does the word or image handle you got mesh with the felt sense?  Do they feel exactly right together?  If so, you may feel an emotional release that lets you know you're on target.  Transition back and forth between the feeling (felt sense) and the word or image (handle****il they match perfectly.  Spend a few minutes letting this be, allowing your body to change with this realization.

Now you can Ask the felt sense directly, "What is it?"  Use your handle to make the feeling vividly present itself over and over again.  You may be bombarded by a flood of fast answers--ignore these, they're just old knowledge rushing around.  By the time you ask the 2nd or 3rd time, the felt sense will answer.  Wait for that answer, let it flow out of the felt sense and feel the body shift it creates.  It may not come to us when we want, but that's okay.  Just spend time coming feeling it, and maybe decide to come back to it later.

Receiving is the process of welcoming anything that comes with a body shift.  You are not in the shift, but next to it . . . you have it, but you are not it.  You may have an Aha! moment or it may be a subtle shift.  

Long story short, the focusing process is a way to bypass the mind's clutter to get to the real underlying issues you are feeling but not truly acknowledging.

This tool trains you to find those underlying issues that are hiding beneath the noise, so that you can address them directly.  

The issues are there whether you address them or not.  Avoiding them creates dissonance, which you may want to comfort, suppress or otherwise self-medicate with self-destructive behaviors, like overeating.  

Focusing allows you to get past the mind clutter, discover the essence of the issue and gives you clarity as to what you want and need.  Not easy . . . but worth it!

Denise M.
on 9/20/10 8:11 am
Topic: RE: Support Group Summary: 9/13/2010, Stylist Mila Grigg
I'm a good listener!  And a writer at heart.  So it's more like a magazine article like thing than a real post!

Sure, I'd be more than happy to put some or all of it (maybe not the everyone and their brother gets the discounted rate--just the people who went) on the Centennial FB page.

May not get to it until tomorrow, though, as it's time to head over for Monday support group tonight!

I printed up business sized cards with instructions on how to find the support group's group here at OH, so I'll hand those out to those who are interested.

No purchase necessary (uh, I mean like you don't HAVE to come here if you go to the Monday night groups!   Just a for fun, optional thing).

I also have my notes and will try to go back and dig them up from the previous didactic sessions, assuming that's okay with Dr. Livengood.  

It might be worth inquiring about a small group thing with Mila.  Maybe get 2 or 3 friends together for a "corporate" session.  I'm contemplating inviting some of my OH friends from out of town for something like that!  Well, after I win the lottery!  

But the one hour session, even if Mila just gives some general suggestions and recommends a few clothing lines for your specific body, would be SOOOOOO worth it!
Pam Davis
on 9/20/10 7:57 am - Franklin, TN
Topic: RE: Support Group Summary: 9/13/2010, Stylist Mila Grigg
First, WOW! Thank you for posting such awesome notes, this almost makes up for me having to leave early. Would you mind putting some/all of it on our Center facebook page?

Second, I'm thinking an hour with Mila sounds like a GREAT Christmas present...wonder if any of the guys are listening, or...reading???
Pam Davis, Certified Bariatric Nurse, Bariatric Program Director
Centennial Center for the Treatment of Obesity
Join our Message Board -
Click here!
Follow us on Facebook -
Click here!
We're on Twitter -
Click here!

Denise M.
on 9/20/10 1:34 am
Topic: Support Group Summary: 9/13/2010, Stylist Mila Grigg
Support group on the 2nd Monday of the month is typically "open mic night," but Dr. L was lucky enough to get a few surprise guests to join us to provide some fashion insights.

Our first guest was Jackie Biggers of The Up & Down Closet in Hendersonville, TN.  Jackie is an enthusiastic and fun woman, and gave us some pointers on how to prepare our clothes for consignment.

Here are a few pointers she shared with us:

1.  Make sure the clothes are of good quality and are in good condition.  Check for holes, missing buttons or if the garment is simply "tired," looking.

2.  Please make an appointment with Jackie to consign your clothes and limit 25 garments per appointment

3.  Garments should be cleaned, pressed and on hangers.  You will get your hangers back.

4.  To increase likelihood of sale, bring seasonally appropriate styles (no one wants shorts in the dead of winter!)

5.  If you have stubborn grease stains or ring around the collar, try a little dishwashing detergent.

6.  Consignment period is 90 days.  You will be paid after the period ends and the rate is a 50/50 split between consignor and consignee.  Every 30 days that pass, if your garment(s) do not sell, the price will be dropped 15%.  Items will eventually be moved to clearance, where they will be 50-75% off original consignment price.

7.  If you'd prefer to not mess around with consignment at al and would prefer to donate, they have a program with the Junior Service League.

a.)  You donate the clothes 

b.)  The Jr. Service League will prepare a donation letter for you for the IRS 

c.)  Up & Down Closet will sell your garments at Goodwill prices and the proceeds go directly to the Junior Service League

For full information on their consignment contracts, click here.

Our second guest was Mila Griggs of MODA Image Consulting.  She said there have been studies on appearance and it does count, no matter what your weight.  It is important to feel good about yourself--the energy you put off when you feel good and look your best is definitely noticed!

Appearance can even affect how much money you make.  A recent Harvard study showed that women who wore make up daily made an average 10-30% more than women who didn't.  

You don't have to dress like a Hollywood actress or wear as much make up as a runway model, but it is important to put your best foot forward, to feel and look your best.

Here are some of the topics discussed/questions answered during her presentation:

1.  The Foundation.  Nothing is quite as helpful as proper foundation garments!  Women should get their bras professionally fitted, and invest in a good pair of Spanx or TC Fine Shapeware.  Both lines are available at Dillards.  Also, if you go to the Cool Spring's Dillards, ask for either Alicia or Laura--they will get you properly fitted for a new bra.

2.  Basic Pieces.  It's always good to have some well constructed, good quality basic pieces in your wardrobe.  Those include pants, a dark wash jean, a white blouse, some statement items (necklace, earrings) and one great bag.

4.  A few dos.  Here are some things to keep in mind about what you should look for in your clothing.  Balance throughout the length of your body is essential.

a.)  As you are looking at your wardrobe through your new, keen eye, think about balance.  You want to be balanced between your shoulders and hips and feet.  Avoid the sno-cone effect, where you come to a point at your feet.  Think balance!

b.)  Always make sure your pants or jeans have two pockets on the back!  One pocket throws off the balance and symmetry.

c.)  Be sure to find pants that fit well!  Make sure the stride fits properly so you do not add any bulk to your stomach area, or bunching at the upper thigh.  Flat fronted pants are more flattering than pleats.

d.)  Best fitting jeans for guys include the straight fit 505s or the slim straight 515s from Levi's.  Some of the best fitting jeans for women include the DKNY Soho line, available at Dillards and Macy's.  Remember that jeans will stretch 1/4 to 1/2 size larger as you wear them.  When shopping, it is okay if they are a teeeeeny bit tight on bottom or thighs--they will stretch a bit.  Note that 7 jeans (7 for all mankind) do not stretch AT ALL.  For those of us who still are plus sized, Levis offers larger sizes for women that fit well.

e.)  Thinking about capris?  Make sure that they hit in the proper spot--not too high or too low.  3/4 length is beset.  Always wear heels with capris, like a kitten heel or wedge.  No flats!  Make sure they do not have pockets.  They should be streamlined, fitted well and not be as wide at the hem as they are at the hip--a slight taper.

5.  A few don'ts.  Here are a few thoughts on some things that you should avoid.

a.)  Never do loose tops AND loose bottoms.  Either do a loose fitting top over a slim bottom, or a fitted top over a looser bottom.  Loose + loose = baggy, and will make you look larger than you really are.

b.)  Avoid a deep V shaped yoke on the back of pants or jeans.  This can make your backside look droopy.  Never opt for pants or jeans with one pocket!

c.)  Avoid traveler's suits!  Jersey knit options for on the road, like from Coldwater Creek.  They are not professional looking enough for business travel.

6.  Shoes.  Invest in a few quality shoes to enhance your look.  Heels elongate the leg and give you height.  A good brand to try is Antonio Melani, which is available at Dillards.  According to Mila, these shoes will actually form to your foot, so they are quite comfortable.  Nurture also has comfortable heels and ballet flats that will complement your look.  Many of the group members recommended Sofft shoes, as well.

About Mila's Services

Her traditional consultation rates run $115 per hour for an individual client or $150/hour for corporate clients.  

If you contact her for a consultation, let her know you attended the support group meeting at which she presented--if you do this, she will give you the discounted rate of $95/hour.  Once you are an established client, the rates will not go up!  

Typical consultation is between 2 to 3 hours, with a 1 hour minimum.  So what do you get for your 3 hour consultation?

The first hour is typically spent in your closet!  She will look at your current wardrobe, assess with you what look or style you want to present.  Alternately, you can send her pictures of your 10 favorite pieces.  

Then the shopping begins!  She will travel from all over Middle TN and as far as Atlanta to find the perfect pieces for you.  (From what I understand) Mila will then meet you in a local department store with all the clothes she has chosen for you.  Be sure to wear your Spanx and new, good fitting bra!  

In one dressing room, you will review the items and try on clothes.

Mila guarantees that she can find at least two clothing lines for you that will fit your body.  Lines from different designers vary drastically and not every line works for everyone.  But she will give you two companies, where you can purchase them and recommend several basic pieces that meet your style goals.  She will also help you come up with as many as 50 different outfits combining the items you choose, to enhance the versatility of your wardrobe.

Though she does not do hair or make up, Mila can also help direct you to make up artist or hair stylist based on your needs (oily skin, aging skin, curly hair, colored hair, etc.).

I'm not sure when I'm going to do this, but I AM DEFINITELY going to!   

As most of the Monday night crew knows, I've had a lot of trouble with my lap band and weight loss.  However, I'm not going to wait until I get to goal to start reassessing my image!  I want to LOOK GOOD now, at whatever weight!

There are some cost effective lines, like Investments available at Dillards, that offer timeless pieces at reasonable prices, to tide you over during the transition phase of weight loss.  Ooh, I may have to stop in at Dillards before I go on vacation next month!  

Denise M.
on 9/20/10 12:12 am
Topic: RE: Topic for September 20th group
I'm looking forward to tonight's discussion.

Seems like they are always exactly what I need to hear!  
Pam Davis
on 9/19/10 9:14 pm - Franklin, TN
Topic: Bariatric Fashion Show on Monday, October 11th
Dr. Livengood's group has come up with the idea for a bariatric fashion show! We will combine the opportunity for our models to "strut their stuff" with a discussion on body image and tips on how to maximize your wardrobe while you are going down in sizes. We will have both male and female (patient) models.

Please note that this meeting will be held in the Medical Office Plaza (located across the street from our building) in the auditorium so we can have music and a true stage for our models. This promises to be a great event for all! Mark your calendars now!

If you are one of our models, please e-mail your before photo to Pam at [email protected].

Thank you,
Join our Message Board -
Click here!
Follow us on Facebook -
Click here!
We're on Twitter -
Click here!

Pam Davis
on 9/19/10 8:41 pm - Franklin, TN
Topic: Topic for September 20th group
Focusing Skills Traing: Dealing With Underlying Issues That Cause Me to Want to Eat
Time: 6:00 - 7:00
This group is facilitated by Dr. Janice Livengood. Dr. Livengood consistently provides tools you can use to help you delve deeper into your emotional attachment to food.
Join our Message Board -
Click here!
Follow us on Facebook -
Click here!
We're on Twitter -
Click here!

Denise M.
on 9/10/10 6:53 am, edited 9/13/10 5:21 am
Topic: Group meets on Monday! UPDATED!!!!
Thank goodness for that!

I've been working on some other personal issues . . . clutter especially, which is the equivalent of fat in my home!  It distracts me and keeps me in a mild state of anxiety that keeps me from dealing with actual issues.

Needless to say, my eating is out of control!  Plus it's been 3 weeks, so I am in dire need of support group!

Hope to see y'all there!!!!

THIS JUST IN!!!  PLEASE COME IF YOU CAN TONIGHT AND LET YOUR SUPPORT GROUP FRIENDS KNOW!

I just heard from Dr. Livengood that there will be a special speaker tonight--Mila Grigg of MODA Image Consulting will join us tonight to give us some insight on fashion.  On her website, Mila says, "Fashion is not simply about clothing.  Your appearance affects your life on a daily basis.  Properly attired people will excel in life--your image is what you present to the world, and most importantly, it can make or break you."

In addition to her business, she is the Fashion Director for At Home Tennessee Magazine, where she writes a column, and she also does monthly fashion segments on NewsChannel 5's Talk of the Town.

Please join us tonight if you're able, and bring along your WLS friends and family!

Centennial Center for Surgical Weight Loss, Tace Building Conference Room, 6 pm!