Living Good with Livengood

Groups » Living Good with Liv... » Discussion » Support Group Summa...

Support Group Summary: 9/13/2010, Stylist Mila Grigg

Denise M.
on 9/20/10 1:34 am
Support group on the 2nd Monday of the month is typically "open mic night," but Dr. L was lucky enough to get a few surprise guests to join us to provide some fashion insights.

Our first guest was Jackie Biggers of The Up & Down Closet in Hendersonville, TN.  Jackie is an enthusiastic and fun woman, and gave us some pointers on how to prepare our clothes for consignment.

Here are a few pointers she shared with us:

1.  Make sure the clothes are of good quality and are in good condition.  Check for holes, missing buttons or if the garment is simply "tired," looking.

2.  Please make an appointment with Jackie to consign your clothes and limit 25 garments per appointment

3.  Garments should be cleaned, pressed and on hangers.  You will get your hangers back.

4.  To increase likelihood of sale, bring seasonally appropriate styles (no one wants shorts in the dead of winter!)

5.  If you have stubborn grease stains or ring around the collar, try a little dishwashing detergent.

6.  Consignment period is 90 days.  You will be paid after the period ends and the rate is a 50/50 split between consignor and consignee.  Every 30 days that pass, if your garment(s) do not sell, the price will be dropped 15%.  Items will eventually be moved to clearance, where they will be 50-75% off original consignment price.

7.  If you'd prefer to not mess around with consignment at al and would prefer to donate, they have a program with the Junior Service League.

a.)  You donate the clothes 

b.)  The Jr. Service League will prepare a donation letter for you for the IRS 

c.)  Up & Down Closet will sell your garments at Goodwill prices and the proceeds go directly to the Junior Service League

For full information on their consignment contracts, click here.

Our second guest was Mila Griggs of MODA Image Consulting.  She said there have been studies on appearance and it does count, no matter what your weight.  It is important to feel good about yourself--the energy you put off when you feel good and look your best is definitely noticed!

Appearance can even affect how much money you make.  A recent Harvard study showed that women who wore make up daily made an average 10-30% more than women who didn't.  

You don't have to dress like a Hollywood actress or wear as much make up as a runway model, but it is important to put your best foot forward, to feel and look your best.

Here are some of the topics discussed/questions answered during her presentation:

1.  The Foundation.  Nothing is quite as helpful as proper foundation garments!  Women should get their bras professionally fitted, and invest in a good pair of Spanx or TC Fine Shapeware.  Both lines are available at Dillards.  Also, if you go to the Cool Spring's Dillards, ask for either Alicia or Laura--they will get you properly fitted for a new bra.

2.  Basic Pieces.  It's always good to have some well constructed, good quality basic pieces in your wardrobe.  Those include pants, a dark wash jean, a white blouse, some statement items (necklace, earrings) and one great bag.

4.  A few dos.  Here are some things to keep in mind about what you should look for in your clothing.  Balance throughout the length of your body is essential.

a.)  As you are looking at your wardrobe through your new, keen eye, think about balance.  You want to be balanced between your shoulders and hips and feet.  Avoid the sno-cone effect, where you come to a point at your feet.  Think balance!

b.)  Always make sure your pants or jeans have two pockets on the back!  One pocket throws off the balance and symmetry.

c.)  Be sure to find pants that fit well!  Make sure the stride fits properly so you do not add any bulk to your stomach area, or bunching at the upper thigh.  Flat fronted pants are more flattering than pleats.

d.)  Best fitting jeans for guys include the straight fit 505s or the slim straight 515s from Levi's.  Some of the best fitting jeans for women include the DKNY Soho line, available at Dillards and Macy's.  Remember that jeans will stretch 1/4 to 1/2 size larger as you wear them.  When shopping, it is okay if they are a teeeeeny bit tight on bottom or thighs--they will stretch a bit.  Note that 7 jeans (7 for all mankind) do not stretch AT ALL.  For those of us who still are plus sized, Levis offers larger sizes for women that fit well.

e.)  Thinking about capris?  Make sure that they hit in the proper spot--not too high or too low.  3/4 length is beset.  Always wear heels with capris, like a kitten heel or wedge.  No flats!  Make sure they do not have pockets.  They should be streamlined, fitted well and not be as wide at the hem as they are at the hip--a slight taper.

5.  A few don'ts.  Here are a few thoughts on some things that you should avoid.

a.)  Never do loose tops AND loose bottoms.  Either do a loose fitting top over a slim bottom, or a fitted top over a looser bottom.  Loose + loose = baggy, and will make you look larger than you really are.

b.)  Avoid a deep V shaped yoke on the back of pants or jeans.  This can make your backside look droopy.  Never opt for pants or jeans with one pocket!

c.)  Avoid traveler's suits!  Jersey knit options for on the road, like from Coldwater Creek.  They are not professional looking enough for business travel.

6.  Shoes.  Invest in a few quality shoes to enhance your look.  Heels elongate the leg and give you height.  A good brand to try is Antonio Melani, which is available at Dillards.  According to Mila, these shoes will actually form to your foot, so they are quite comfortable.  Nurture also has comfortable heels and ballet flats that will complement your look.  Many of the group members recommended Sofft shoes, as well.

About Mila's Services

Her traditional consultation rates run $115 per hour for an individual client or $150/hour for corporate clients.  

If you contact her for a consultation, let her know you attended the support group meeting at which she presented--if you do this, she will give you the discounted rate of $95/hour.  Once you are an established client, the rates will not go up!  

Typical consultation is between 2 to 3 hours, with a 1 hour minimum.  So what do you get for your 3 hour consultation?

The first hour is typically spent in your closet!  She will look at your current wardrobe, assess with you what look or style you want to present.  Alternately, you can send her pictures of your 10 favorite pieces.  

Then the shopping begins!  She will travel from all over Middle TN and as far as Atlanta to find the perfect pieces for you.  (From what I understand) Mila will then meet you in a local department store with all the clothes she has chosen for you.  Be sure to wear your Spanx and new, good fitting bra!  

In one dressing room, you will review the items and try on clothes.

Mila guarantees that she can find at least two clothing lines for you that will fit your body.  Lines from different designers vary drastically and not every line works for everyone.  But she will give you two companies, where you can purchase them and recommend several basic pieces that meet your style goals.  She will also help you come up with as many as 50 different outfits combining the items you choose, to enhance the versatility of your wardrobe.

Though she does not do hair or make up, Mila can also help direct you to make up artist or hair stylist based on your needs (oily skin, aging skin, curly hair, colored hair, etc.).

I'm not sure when I'm going to do this, but I AM DEFINITELY going to!   

As most of the Monday night crew knows, I've had a lot of trouble with my lap band and weight loss.  However, I'm not going to wait until I get to goal to start reassessing my image!  I want to LOOK GOOD now, at whatever weight!

There are some cost effective lines, like Investments available at Dillards, that offer timeless pieces at reasonable prices, to tide you over during the transition phase of weight loss.  Ooh, I may have to stop in at Dillards before I go on vacation next month!  

Pam Davis
on 9/20/10 7:57 am - Franklin, TN
First, WOW! Thank you for posting such awesome notes, this almost makes up for me having to leave early. Would you mind putting some/all of it on our Center facebook page?

Second, I'm thinking an hour with Mila sounds like a GREAT Christmas present...wonder if any of the guys are listening, or...reading???
Pam Davis, Certified Bariatric Nurse, Bariatric Program Director
Centennial Center for the Treatment of Obesity
Join our Message Board -
Click here!
Follow us on Facebook -
Click here!
We're on Twitter -
Click here!

Denise M.
on 9/20/10 8:11 am
I'm a good listener!  And a writer at heart.  So it's more like a magazine article like thing than a real post!

Sure, I'd be more than happy to put some or all of it (maybe not the everyone and their brother gets the discounted rate--just the people who went) on the Centennial FB page.

May not get to it until tomorrow, though, as it's time to head over for Monday support group tonight!

I printed up business sized cards with instructions on how to find the support group's group here at OH, so I'll hand those out to those who are interested.

No purchase necessary (uh, I mean like you don't HAVE to come here if you go to the Monday night groups!   Just a for fun, optional thing).

I also have my notes and will try to go back and dig them up from the previous didactic sessions, assuming that's okay with Dr. Livengood.  

It might be worth inquiring about a small group thing with Mila.  Maybe get 2 or 3 friends together for a "corporate" session.  I'm contemplating inviting some of my OH friends from out of town for something like that!  Well, after I win the lottery!  

But the one hour session, even if Mila just gives some general suggestions and recommends a few clothing lines for your specific body, would be SOOOOOO worth it!