Calgarian Chica's

Recent Posts

ShortyPants
on 1/30/11 4:36 am
Topic: RE: Hello Ladies
Congrats Sheila!
That's great to hear with Dr Farries :)
Nothing happened yet, but I think timing of trying to meet right before Christmas was kind of silly on my part :)
sheilapinkney
on 1/27/11 2:37 am - Calgary, Canada
Topic: Hello Ladies

I am very new to this group.  So I am not sure where everyone is at in their weight loss journey.  I have not been through surgery yet.  I am in the process of getting there though. 

As I said in a previous response to a post, my name is Sheila and I live in Beddington Heights here in Calgary.  I am in the program to have a Vertical Gastric Sleeve with Dr. Lawrence Farries in Red Deer hopefull someing in the next few months.  I still have my pysch eval to go through, and I am not sure if I have a nutritionist I have to go through, I am asking that question at my next appointment on Feb 8th. 

I also belong to a support group called Vertical Sleeve Talk.  Most of the members are in the USA, but they have tons of information regarding this particular surgery.  I have learned so much by reading their post. 

I saw on discussion where you were setting up a get together.  Did that ever happen?  I would love to attend one. 

I hope to hear from  you soon.

Good luck in each of your journeys.

Sheila

Surgery: July 27  Surgery Weight: 245   Current Weight: 137 Total weight lost: 1112lbs
   AT GOAL!  WOOHOO!!!    

sheilapinkney
on 1/27/11 2:24 am - Calgary, Canada
Topic: RE: Options For Surgeons
Hello Ladies,

I live in Calgary, in Beddington Heights. 

I will be having the Vertical Gastric Sleeve with Dr. Lawrence Farries in Red Deer.  Unsure when my surgery date is, I have gone through my initial appointment, my 2nd appt, my endoscope, and I have my pysch evaluation scheduled for March 2.  I am hoping to have my surgery in June (fingers crossed)

It is a rather complicated to get into his program.  He does only accept referrals one day a year, and only the first 200 referrals at that.  I went to see Dr. Peggy Burke, who is a weight loss doctor here in Calgary.  She does not perform WLS, but she is part of the Toronto weight loss clinic and will do lap band adjustments.  But you have to go to Toronto to get your surgery done and pay for it.  On the day that Dr. Farries is accepting patients, she has a dedicated person sitting on the phone calling over and over until they get in and then refers all the people that need to be referred through her.  I was lucky.  So my referral went in May 2010, and my first consult was November 30, 2010. 

If you have any questions about the system, you can email me if you like, my email is:
[email protected]

Nice to see other WLS people in Calgary.  Do any of you go to a support group here in Calgary?  I would like to attend one, but unsure if there are any available.

Sheila

Surgery: July 27  Surgery Weight: 245   Current Weight: 137 Total weight lost: 1112lbs
   AT GOAL!  WOOHOO!!!    

MelissaC71
on 1/2/11 5:16 pm
 Both Dr. Farries in Red Deer and Dr. Nohr in Medicine Hat are getting more OR times. The wait isn't as long as it used to be. I think the best way to choose your doc is by deciding what surgery you want first. Dr. Nohr only does Roux-en-Y (open and Lap) Dr. Farries is doing the lap band, roux-en-y and the Sleeve. Edmonton you have to go to their weight wise clinic program first. I don't know of any one in Lethbridge doing any wt loss surgery. Dr. Mitchell in Calgary is back doing lap bands again. I am seeing Dr. Nohr personally. I had my doc send referals to a few of them and he's the only one I heard back from. I also like that I don't have to jump through hoops for him to do the surgery as well. No psych eval, no dieting pre-op, no losing weight before he'll help you. You do have to attend a class with the dietician. It was a really good program about what to expect and how to manage post-op. Good luck with your decision.
(deactivated member)
on 12/27/10 11:10 pm - calgary, Canada
Topic: RE: Coffee Date
I'm in NW, too. I would definitely game for coffee in crowfoot. There is a starbucks there in Chapters or one in Dalhousie Station at the Chapter's too.  A bigger starbucks (more seating)  in Brentwood Mall, too. It would be great to just pick a date and see who could come. If not many, that's ok, we could do this say, once a month,  and people could come when they can.

I am pretty flexible in the daytime or weekend hours. Evenings are a lot harder for me because I have kids I have to chauffeur around. Friday evenings are usually open for me but I can certainly be flexible for other times.

Anyone game for  setting something up in the next couple of weeks??

Happy New Year.

Krista
ShortyPants
on 12/7/10 12:11 am
Nothing in stone yet - what is everyone's schedule like??
sixfootkat
on 12/2/10 12:00 pm - Canada
I live in Carstairs but would love to meet with you guys.  When are you going to get together?
Katrina

novascotiadawn
on 12/1/10 11:09 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'd love too!!!

I need to get some WLS friends...to kick my butt!!!

Hugs

Donna

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

ShortyPants
on 12/1/10 12:33 am
Anyone else in?
And if there was someone you could catch a ride with, would you still want to come if we got our poop together to meet for coffee, Dawn?

YAAAYYYYYYY +2 today! WOOOO!
ShortyPants
on 12/1/10 12:30 am
I'm going down to Vegas for mine, but from what I've read and such it seems like Dr Ferries in Red Deer only accepts calls on 1 day a year for surgery bookings?
Dr Nohr in Medicine Hat seems to be about a 3 year wait.
I haven't heard about any surgeons in Lethbridge, but hope that helps!