Canton Ohio WLS Support Group

Recent Posts

Terrib
on 7/7/08 9:26 pm, edited 7/8/08 1:13 am - Clayton, NC
Topic: RE: I wish

I so agree with you Cindy!  Getting to know each and every one of the members to me has been so wonderful as well as rewarding.  We are able to share our experiences, be they good or bad, follow each other's progress and become a family!  A family where we all understand the journey and take the trip together!.  Support each other, pass on ideas, well just limitless!

Perhaps it is due to the summer months, everyone so busy with having fun, children out of school, vacations and such.  This site is here for everyone......so when you have a moment, post a message, post a new picture, heck post a picture of where you vacationed!  We would all love to see them and hear from you!

In the meantime, we have special speakers scheduled for upcoming meetings, so try and mark the 3rd Wednesday of each month and join us!

Hugs to all and Cindy, thanks for your post!!

friendshiptreatandsissors.gif picture by 07aseret

Terri
ObesityHelp Support Group Leader
www.wlsterrib.com

Cindyc59
on 7/7/08 2:24 am
Topic: I wish
I sure wish more of you guys used this sight to post things on.  You guys are very nice and smart about WLS. We need each other to help us get thur this. Posting on the other sight is not the same as talking to people we know. The other sight  they don't know us and can be curel. We care about each other and need to hold each others hand. This is a blessing to have this please start using this tool. I will be looking forward to hearing from you guys more often. 
Terrib
on 6/20/08 11:39 pm - Clayton, NC
Topic: Photos of June's Support Group Meeting
ee44.gif Check out my new pics picture by 07aseret As you all were aware, I was snapping of pictures of our June support group meeting.  Go to the "Photos" on the left side, click on it and view the June photos. 

What a great looking bunch you are if I do say so myself!!!! 

newshaveagreatday.gif image by 07aseret

Terri
www.wlsterrib.com

Terrib
on 6/13/08 10:36 pm - Clayton, NC
Topic: WOW-Our group made the CCBS News Letter!!!!
I just wanted to share with my fellow support group leaders the article that was published in the St. Vincent Chareity Hospital-Cleveland Center for Bariatric Surgery support newsletter ~ May-June issue of Bella Vive.   I just love being able to offer the much needed support to my members and the group keeps growing every month.  We now have 27 members! 

Finding Support: Canton Group Offers Local Option

When Terri Black had her surgery at CBS in October 2007, she looked for support close to home but found the nearest group had disbanded. So she decided to start one herself. Since February, the Canton WLS Support Group meets on the third Wednesday each month from 7:30 to 9 p.m. at the Jackson Township YMCA, 7389 Caritas Circle NW, Massillon.

The group welcomes anyone who is considering or who has undergone weight-loss surgery. Since the first meeting where six people attended, the group has continued to grow.

“People need support whether they are thinking about undergoing surgery, have already been through it or have been through it and now need to find their way back,” she said. “So far, I think the members that I have seem to appreciate it."

Terri went through the ObesityHelp.com Web site for information and took part in a teleconference to become certified as a group leader. She spends a great deal of time researching, contacting people, finding resources, getting free samples for group members and preparing for meetings. The group alternates open discussions with guest speakers. The May 21 meeting will feature an open discussion. On June 18, the group will host an Akron plastic surgeon to learn more about procedures commonly done after bariatric surgery weight loss.

For more information about the Canton WLS Support Group, see its listing on the CBS Web site or e-mail Terri at [email protected]; please put “Support Group” in the subject line when contacting her. Visit the CBS Web site to find a list of all local satellite support groups and contact information.

Link to the patient news letter, click on May-June 2008
 http://www.svch.net/bariatric/supportprogram/patient-newsletter.htm

Terri
www.wlsterrib.com

Terrib
on 6/12/08 9:11 am - Clayton, NC
Topic: WELCOME TO THE LOSER'S BENCH CINDY!
CINDY ~ savedseatonloserbench.jpg Saved seat on loser's bench picture by 07aseret I spoke with Cindy Thursday evening around 6:30 p.m. and she was doing awesome!  She was able to have the RNY laproscopically and sailed through surgery with no complications!  She had already been up, holding down her fluids and if all goes well, will be able to return home Friday!  You go girl! Congrats.jpg picture by 07aseret Hugs,

Terri
www.wlsterrib.com

Terrib
on 6/10/08 10:34 pm - Clayton, NC
Topic: Missing our old Habits!
I borrowed this from my WLS group leader friend located in CA.......Thanks Darlene! Whenever we make the effort to free ourselves of an addiction or a habit we no longer need, we are often surprised to find ourselves missing the old pattern as we would a familiar friend. This sounds counterintuitive, because we think we should instinctively gravitate toward what is good for us. Yet, it makes a lot of sense when you consider that we humans are creatures of habit. This is why we gravitate to people and places—and patterns of behavior—that make us feel comfortable. Therefore, many of the habits we form are not conscious and are based instead on learned behavior from role models who were not always making the healthiest decisions.

Most addictions begin as a way of avoiding feelings that are extremely uncomfortable, so it makes sense that stopping the addiction means a fair amount of discomfort for a time. The same is also true of habits that we have developed over time that we are ready to release. Just knowing that this is hard, and having compassion for ourselves as we work through this process, can help us to stay the course when we feel the urge to backtrack. It’s also helpful to remember that in time we will establish new, healthier patterns, and the yearning for the old ones will disappear. Eventually, we will instinctively reach for things that are good for us, and the longing for positive change may form the basis of a new habit.

The only way to get to this new place is to endure a time of difficulty, which is a challenge we can confidently handle, if we remember that it will lead to the change we seek in our lives. Our bodies, hearts, and minds always need time to adjust to a new way of doing things, but they will adapt, and even become our allies, if we remain true to our vision of a new way. So, what is your opinion??  Let me hear from you...post what you are thinking! 

Terri
www.wlsterrib.com

Terrib
on 6/10/08 10:26 pm - Clayton, NC
Topic: Welcome Everyone!
ManyForms.jpg picture by 07aseret I truly appreciate your support of the Canton WLS Support Group, without which, of course, our group could not exist.    Have some pictures you would like to share with the group?  We would love to see them.  Have a question, comment or want to share a "wow"moment, post a mesage on the message board. I look forward to hearing from everyone! 

Terri
www.wlsterrib.com

Cindyc59
on 6/10/08 5:47 am
Topic: RE: Good Luck Cindy!
Thank you so much for the well wishes. I am sure it will be fine. I plan on calling you when I am done that way you tell everyone I am fine. Talk to you soon. Thanks for your support it has been a big help.  Cindy
Jennifer R.
on 6/10/08 5:45 am - Hartville, OH
Topic: RE: Good Luck Cindy!
Best wishes Cindy!!! I'm sure everything will be fine and you'll be feeling and looking great in no time
Terrib
on 6/4/08 3:16 am - Clayton, NC
Topic: Good Luck Cindy!

BestofLuck25252Dpenny.gif picture by 07aseret Cindy will be having her surgery June 12th, 2008!    On behalf of myself and the group we are wishing you an uneventful and speedy recovery. You have SO MUCH to look forward to! You'll be amazed at what you accomplish and become an inspiration to all of those around you. This is a GIFT and a tool. Life will become so much more full and rich... you'll see... My best to you, Hugs,

Terri
www.wlsterrib.com