Canton Ohio WLS Support Group

Recent Posts

Terrib
on 2/6/10 12:19 pm - Clayton, NC
Topic: Cincinnati OH Event Discount- Ptomo Code
For those of you who are planning to attend the OH event in Cincinnati, as a group member of our support group, when booking, use the following code for a discount on your registration fee!   Promo code:  Black10   See you there!   Terri Black Group Leader

Terri
ObesityHelp Support Group Leader
www.wlsterrib.com

Terrib
on 12/25/09 3:24 am - Clayton, NC
Topic: WONDERFUL HOLIDAY!
I want to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas!!

We had a great time at the December support group meeting.  The food selections were incredible! 

I have posted some pictures so make so to take a look.

I want to thank each and everyone one of you...for without you and your attendance and support, there is no Canton WLS Support Group!

We have Peter )dietician) from St. Vincent (Center of Bariatric Sugery in Cleveland) returning as our special guest speaker in January.  Do not miss this meeting...Peter is excellent!

See you in the New Year! 

Terri

Terri
www.wlsterrib.com

aliciainoh
on 12/10/09 7:12 am - Canton, OH
Topic: RE: It is with great sadness....
I know that Michelle personally felt very comforted and uplifted by the friends and support she received at support group.  When she finally got the approval she couldn't wait to tell everyone at group, knowing that they would be just so genuinely happy.  I miss her dearly and keep thinking about everything we have done and I know that is what she would want, not for us to be sad, but to remember the good times.  Sometimes, this is just so hard to do when you just plain old miss her. 
See you at group,
Alicia
Terrib
on 12/9/09 11:37 am - Clayton, NC
Topic: It is with great sadness....
For those of you who haven't yet heard, it is with great sadness that I share the news of the death of our friend/group member Michelle Maurer.    Michelle Marie (Shamp) Maurer, 40 of Beach City passed away Sunday Dec. 6, 2009 at Akron General Hospital following a several week illness.  .  Calling hours will be held Friday, Dec. 11, 2009 from 6 to 8 p.m. in Lantzer Funeral Home, 230 2nd Ave SE, Beach City, OH 44608.   We will be observing moments of silence and celebrating the life of our friend/group member Michelle at our next support group meeting. She will be missed by the many friends she met through our Support Group   I would like to extend our heartfelt condolences to Michelle's family.

Sincerely,
Terri B
Certified Group Leader
Canton WLS Support Group

Terri
www.wlsterrib.com

Terrib
on 11/28/09 10:28 pm, edited 11/28/09 10:36 pm - Clayton, NC
Topic: Christmas Party-December Support. Group Meeting
Season's Greetings!! 

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!  

We will be having an open forum for our December 16th, 2009 support group meeting.  Remember the new time is 6:30 until 8:00 p.m.   It will be held at JOHN KNOX CHURCH, 5155 Eastlake St NW, Just south of Portage Rd. off Frank Ave, North Canton, OH 44720.

To celebrate the holiday, we will be having a Christmas dinner party.  Please bring your favorite recipe, whether it is a covered dish, salad, or dessert...make sure to include the written recipe so we can all share.  What better way to celebrate the holiday than to chat with fellow WLS members, eat good food and add new recipes!  

Please email me indicating you will be attending and your food selection.  This way we can be sure that our dinner will not just include all of one food group!    So plan on having dinner at our December group meeting and chatting about any and everything!  

Look forward to hearing back from you with what delicious item you will be bringing.  

See you then.  

Terri Black

RSVP requested no later than December 13, 2009

Terri
www.wlsterrib.com

Terrib
on 11/27/09 7:37 am - Clayton, NC
Topic: Splenda Pumpkin Bread
I received the following idea and recipe from one our of members, Cathy Schmitt in an email.

Thank you so much Cathy for the recipe.  I for one will sure give it a try! 

To all our members, Cathy has a great idea.  Have a recipe you could share? Post  it here! 

Excerpt from Cathy's email~

"If we get a good recipe could we share?

I made this for Thanksgiving and would like you to share the recipe with our group.  I thought it was good."

Splenda Pumpkin Bread

2-1/2 c all purpose flour

4 teaspoons baking powder

½ teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice

¾ cup Splenda

3 large eggs

¼ cup vegetable oil

½ cup sour cream

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 (15oz) can Libbys 100% pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)

1 cup raisins

½ cup chopped nuts (walnut or Pecans)

Heat over 350-lightly spray 2 (9x5) loaf pans with cooking spray

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, pumpkin spice and splenda,  In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs,oil, sour cream, vanilla and pumpkin.  Combine pumpkin mixture with flour mixture and stir with a spoon until well combined; fold in raisins and nuts.  Pour into prepared pans, bake 35 to 40 minutes or until tests done.  Enjoy.

Terri
www.wlsterrib.com

Terrib
on 11/21/09 11:22 pm, edited 11/21/09 11:41 pm - Clayton, NC
Topic: Great Tasting Protein./Fiber Mamoth Muffins
Fruit Muffins - Makes 6 larger Muffins  

2 cup whole wheat bran cereal 3/4 cup fat free vanilla yogurt*
1/4 cup flax seed
1 cup whole wheat flour
3 packets Stevia, or Splenda
1/2 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 cup fat free Land o lakes half and half
1/4 cup olive oil
1 egg ( I use egg beaters)
1 tsp.vanilla extract
1 cup blueberries**  

Preheat oven to 375  

Mix bran cereal, yogurt & flax seed in a bowl and let sit for 10 mins. Add all the rest of the ingredients and mix together. Spray paper muffin cups with cooking spray. Place in oven on middle rack for 20-25 minutes.  

*I used blueberry yogurt with the blueberries
**I used banana yogurt and 3 mashed bananas  

Try using other fruits such as pineapple, raspberries, applesauce instead of the olive oil, strawberries.  You could add a few nuts which will add protein and calories.  

Approximately 200 calories, 9 g. protein, 5 g sugar  

These freeze well.  Enjoy!

Terri
www.wlsterrib.com

Terrib
on 11/21/09 5:44 am, edited 11/21/09 11:17 pm - Clayton, NC
Topic: A GREAT HOLIDAY SALAD OR DESSERT!
Excellent Jello Salad/Dessert  

2 boxes lemon jello (Sugar free)
cups ho****er and 2 cups Sierra Mist
1 cup marshmallows (Can use Sugar free)
1 cup apples cut into bite sized pieces
small can crushed pineapple in own juice 
2 bananas cut into bite sized pieces
1 can mandarin oranges (Sugar free with Splenda)

Mix together and chill for about 2 hrs. or until set.   

Then make topping:  

1 cup milk - 2%
1 box dream whip
1 box vanilla pudding (Sugar free)

Beat together until fluffy.   Chill for another hour or until set  then serve.  

Note: you can use various flavors of jello...makes a great holiday low fat very low sugar dessert that everyone will enjoy

Terri
www.wlsterrib.com

Terrib
on 10/18/09 9:32 am, edited 10/18/09 9:33 am - Clayton, NC
Topic: NOVEMBER STARTS NEW MEETING TIME
Starting with our November 18th Support Group Meeting, will be changing the time from 7:30 p.m. until 9 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. until 8 p.m.

Make sure to mark your calendars!

Again, new time will be 6:30 p.m. until 8: p.m. the THIRD Wednesday of the month.

See you there!!

Terri
www.wlsterrib.com

Terrib
on 9/14/09 10:58 am - Clayton, NC
Topic: Congratulations Michelle
Our member Michele had her WLS! Congratulations and welcome to the loser's bench.  Michelle experienced a long hard road to finally have her surgery. You are on your way Michele!!!

I heard from Michelle and here is what she had to say "I'm doing fine it's been 2 weeks since surgery now and I feel GREAT. I'm walking up a storm and have slowly been working on the thin pureed, now the first few times was difficult but I think I got it worked out now."

Can not wait to see you our our support grouop meeting Michelle.

Terri

Terri
www.wlsterrib.com